Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,511 Posts
I know many people have children just learning or passing their test.
It might also appeal to some of our younger members?

So I thought I would share this free training from Ford who teamed up with the Aa, ROSPA & BRAKE to arrange these events.

Http://www.forddsfl.co.uk or see the Ford UK webpage http://www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/Sports-and-Activities/DSFL

Some brief details:

Ford Driving Skills for Life is aimed at young drivers aged 18-24 and is designed to advance individual skills in hazard recognition, vehicle control, speed and space management, as well as handling distractions. Did you know that one in three young drivers aged 18-24 across Europe has taken a selfie while driving?

Given some of the feedback from early posts I am now adding other training options for older drivers not meeting the age criteria above.

Here you go guys a link to the ROSPA Groups around the country, there are not many, but they are likely to have observers which cover the outlying area between regionshttp://www.roadar.org/groups/index.htm

Groups

New! The Inflatable Grown Up*

Similar thread which links back to here http://www.focusrsoc.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I did the IAM course and became a member.

It is an excellent course for all ages much like RoSPA.

Not doing one of these courses is like being in the military and going into combat without any training and hoping for the best.

Experience might help you 20 years later but these courses open your eyes up from the start.

And they lower your insurance.

Thanks for sharing Dave.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I did the IAM course and became a member.

It is an excellent course for all ages much like RoSPA.

Not doing one of these courses is like being in the military and going into combat without any training and hoping for the best.

Experience might help you 20 years later but these courses open your eyes up from the start.

And they lower your insurance.

Thanks for sharing Dave.
How much do these courses cost?

Obviously not the one that's free :laughing:

The IAM one?

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
How much do these courses cost?

Obviously not the one that's free :laughing:

The IAM one?
Hi Neale, I did the IAM one some time ago and then the RoSPA one (http://www.roadar.org/drivers/the-test.htm) about 18 months ago. Not sure on the cost of the IAM one as it was a while ago but it won't be too different to the RoSPA one; all you're paying for at the end of the day is the test (and subsequent annual membership if you choose to join), you don't pay for the instructor's time, they're all volunteers. The main difference with the RoSPA one is as a member you are required to re-take your test every three years (a good thing imo!) Both courses are great, however I would recommend the RoSPA one, particularly if you like a challenge :nice:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi Neale, I did the IAM one some time ago and then the RoSPA one (http://www.roadar.org/drivers/the-test.htm) about 18 months ago. Not sure on the cost of the IAM one as it was a while ago but it won't be too different to the RoSPA one; all you're paying for at the end of the day is the test (and subsequent annual membership if you choose to join), you don't pay for the instructor's time, they're all volunteers. The main difference with the RoSPA one is as a member you are required to re-take your test every three years (a good thing imo!) Both courses are great, however I would recommend the RoSPA one, particularly if you like a challenge :nice:
Thanks for that, really interested in this sort of stuff. from day one jumping in the car with my old man I've watched him and learnt from him. I get dogs abuse when I point out everything when I'm passenger in someone's car but they seem oblivious to loads of things on the road.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
@Bentley11 @theneone

Neale, As @peteg22 says the IAM is a once off test (I did this some 10+ years ago) and the ROSPA one I passed in May/June this year by getting a Gold Pass, and it was in the RS.

Rospa Cost is about £75-80 pounds and is effectively the first years mebership fee + the test cost, all the observers give there time for free, and examiners are paid for by the membership fee & test cost.

Once passed, if you remain a member, about £25/year, then the restest every 3 years is free, paid for by your membership.

well worth doing.

Neo,

if you enjoyed doing the IAM test you will adore the ROSPA one, you learn a lot more.

heres the SE Essex ROSPA site http://www.rospa-southeastessex.org.uk/

PM me if you want contact emails or Tel numbers

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The IAM test is sold as a 'Skill For Life' pack costing £149.

For that you get a decent guide book, access to their observer network and the advanced test itself - it's very easy to organise (and the pack makes a great gift).

You effectively join your local group, who will assign an observer to you and provide coaching on the various skills that you'll need to perfect for the test. When you're ready (there's no hard and fast rule on how many observed drives you need) you book a test date. The test generally takes about 90 minutes and you'll cover town, countryside and motorway driving.

Above all, you'll learn about hazard perception, predicting what other drivers may (or may not ) do, and you'll become acutely aware of what's happening around you and your car. I passed mine when I was 18 (32 years ago) and OK, a few bad habits might have crept in, but the awareness side of driving has stuck with me. Skill For Life :wink:

My wife and son have both passed their car IAM tests - and my son passed his IAM motorbike test last week. I hear that RoSPA (Gold) is considered a more rigorous test (I've always intended to do it), but I think the IAM is a great place to start.

You might get a little off your insurance...but it's generally with companies that are more expensive in the first place. Don't do it for the money...do it for your safety and an enhanced driving experience :nice:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The IAM test is sold as a 'Skill For Life' pack costing £149.

For that you get a decent guide book, access to their observer network and the advanced test itself - it's very easy to organise (and the pack makes a great gift).

You effectively join your local group, who will assign an observer to you and provide coaching on the various skills that you'll need to perfect for the test. When you're ready (there's no hard and fast rule on how many observed drives you need) you book a test date. The test generally takes about 90 minutes and you'll cover town, countryside and motorway driving.

Above all, you'll learn about hazard perception, predicting what other drivers may (or may not ) do, and you'll become acutely aware of what's happening around you and your car. I passed mine when I was 18 (32 years ago) and OK, a few bad habits might have crept in, but the awareness side of driving has stuck with me. Skill For Life :wink:

My wife and son have both passed their car IAM tests - and my son passed his IAM motorbike test last week. I hear that RoSPA (Gold) is considered a more rigorous test (I've always intended to do it), but I think the IAM is a great place to start.

You might get a little off your insurance...but it's generally with companies that are more expensive in the first place. Don't do it for the money...do it for your safety and an enhanced driving experience :nice:
What do you do in the training?

do you have to drive like you did when you were learning to drive? Looking at mirrors All the time feeding the wheel all that caper? :laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Thanks for that, really interested in this sort of stuff. from day one jumping in the car with my old man I've watched him and learnt from him. I get dogs abuse when I point out everything when I'm passenger in someone's car but they seem oblivious to loads of things on the road.
No worries, well worth doing either courses, it makes the driving experience on todays busy roads so much easier, quite simply because it teaches you to actually use your sight and other senses and subsequently engage brain, something which a fair few drivers seems to struggle with... ;) If you need any more info or advice, just shout.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts

do you have to drive like you did when you were learning to drive? Looking at mirrors All the time feeding the wheel all that caper? :laughing:
:) There are a few misconceptions with advanced driving however you'll soon see that there are valid reasons for everything you get taught; I did the RoSPA test in the RS and actually got told by the examiner (an ex copper) in the debrief afterwards that he felt I should have driven a bit quicker and used a bit more of the car's performance!! ;) It's all about making progress, but safely, and driving to the conditions.

Ps the examiner awarded me a Gold award, despite his criticism on my use of the accelerator ;)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

It's not 'caper' :wink:. If you hit something while your hands are crossed, the inflating airbag will drive your arm towards your face and you may end up with your wristwatch embedded in your forehead. It's also about being in full control of the vehicle at all times. The mirrors - well that's just the start of really knowing what's going on around you.

Check your foot work when you drive your car next. It took me a while (even with only 1 year of driving experience) to stop riding the clutch when turning left. The IAM teach along the lines of 'mirror, signal, brake, gear, manoeuvre' - by the time you are executing your left turn, the only foot on the pedal should be your right one on the gas. The braking, then clutch, then maybe more braking, should all be over before the turn.

Personally, I like the observation side:

Is that car (four or five cars ahead) about to change lane - even though there's no indication?

Is that lorry drifting slightly - is it the wind...or is the driver distracted by something?

Is that person sitting in their car at the side of the road going to pull out...or fling their door open wide?

Is that fresh mud on the road from a tractor that's out of sight ahead?

You're on a country road and a slow moving vehicle is coming towards you with a mass of queuing traffic behind it - will someone lose patience and attempt to overtake...what's your escape route to avoid a collision?

Will a cross-wind pick up as you cross an open bridge...or is the road surface icy as it's not heated by ground beneath it?

Are you driving progressively enough - to get away from slow moving traffic and get out of harms way?

Is the bus going to stop - because a passenger has just stood up?

Will someone pull out of the petrol station forecourt...that's 300 yards ahead of you?

Do it Neale - you'll never look back (accept in your mirror) :nice:

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
My personal opinion - no new driver should be allowed on the road without passing one of these tests.

In other words I don't think the current driving test is anywhere near up to standard.

You cannot get a licence without driving on a motorway or at night. It's ridiculous.

Once you've done the training and your eyes have opened up to what it really means to be able to drive you'll get it.

I understand there is curiosity as to what it all involves, that's great, but just get on and do it. You'll never look back.

I was giving someone a lift the other day. I was telling her about the course and some basic observation skills and she said oh no I can't do that I'll never manage it. At that moment in time I encouraged her to try it out and she said she might. The more people that are trained the less likely serious accidents will take place.

Cannot recommend it enough.

And I will look into RoSPA. I love driving and love a challenge.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Booked the wife in for this not that she's bad lol but she will benefit from it. I have done something very similar when I was 18 but all I remember it being called is a drivers improvement program. Went out with a driving instructor and was made aware of everything around me and shown a different knowledge to driving in any conditions whether, traffic, pedestrians etc. Found it helpful and still do now 11 years later.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's not 'caper' :wink:. If you hit something while your hands are crossed, the inflating airbag will drive your arm towards your face and you may end up with your wristwatch embedded in your forehead. It's also about being in full control of the vehicle at all times. The mirrors - well that's just the start of really knowing what's going on around you.

Check your foot work when you drive your car next. It took me a while (even with only 1 year of driving experience) to stop riding the clutch when turning left. The IAM teach along the lines of 'mirror, signal, brake, gear, manoeuvre' - by the time you are executing your left turn, the only foot on the pedal should be your right one on the gas. The braking, then clutch, then maybe more braking, should all be over before the turn.

Personally, I like the observation side:

Is that car (four or five cars ahead) about to change lane - even though there's no indication?
Is that lorry drifting slightly - is it the wind...or is the driver distracted by something?
Is that person sitting in their car at the side of the road going to pull out...or fling their door open wide?
Is that fresh mud on the road from a tractor that's out of sight ahead?
You're on a country road and a slow moving vehicle is coming towards you with a mass of queuing traffic behind it - will someone lose patience and attempt to overtake...what's your escape route to avoid a collision?
Will a cross-wind pick up as you cross an open bridge...or is the road surface icy as it's not heated by ground beneath it?
Are you driving progressively enough - to get away from slow moving traffic and get out of harms way?
Is the bus going to stop - because a passenger has just stood up?
Will someone pull out of the petrol station forecourt...that's 300 yards ahead of you?

Do it Neale - you'll never look back (accept in your mirror) :nice:
I don't want to put myself out there as being a good driver as I'm young and inexperienced but in all honesty when I drive I look out for absolutely everything. So many times I notice stuff far ahead and anticipate what's about to happen etc. Stuff like trucks going by I have my eye on anything that could come off them as im driving up to passing them. I could honestly tell you every drain or dip in the road or camber on corners in and around my area that could cause problems. On long drives I give myself headaches as I concentrate too hard :(

thanks for info I'm really intrested in doing something like this! Going to look into it this week :)

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave, worth looking into will contact the local group in Cornwall.
@Dave276 I'm just outside the Rospa SE Essex boundary, so please let me know if you have other contacts (Epping area). Maybe it's time for me to actually do something about it :yep:

(Finding information on the RoSPA website might be more challenging than their test :facepalm: )
@Poopdeck @RSROG008 @Grey @Bentley11 @theneone @peteg22

Here you go guys a link to the ROSPA Groups around the country, there are not many, but they are likely to have observers which cover the outlying area between regions http://www.roadar.org/groups/index.htm

Groups

This topic as gone a little off course in that it was aimed at youngsters and FREE training, to one to enhance drivers if you are willing to pay, so i might just update the title as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.