Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being quite old, I'm not too clued up on these things. My 5 year old grandson currently has a Leapfrog TV console that is child friendly and educational. He likes platform type games and Karting but the Leap is quite basic.
I have been looking at the Wii U which again seems to be more aimed ot younger children. I have however discovered today, that it is on it's last legs and will be replaced by a NX console in the not too distant future. So do I still go ahead with it as there are plenty of games for youngsters although no more will be produced or do I plump for a Xbox or Playstation that seem to be aimed more towards teenagers and younger adults?
What do you think? Any suggestions and/or advice welcome.

Before anyone kicks off. He is only allowed 1 hour on an electronic device per day. Other than that he plays with Lego, Dinosaurs, Super Heros and we play football and go on bike and scooter rides.

I did consider getting one of these.
Computer hardware Rectangle Box Gadget Electronic instrument

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ive got a ps4 and tbh theres no real "family" games for it

Ive considered getting a wii u aswell for the likes of mario kart etc to play with the family

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Personally id go ps4, there are plenty of "indie" games that are aimed at kids, all downloadable from the ps network for free if you want to sign up to it, of course there is a small fee to join, but if you have kids its worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Sorry, same as indie films, not so well known but have huge following, basically not stuff you'd go and buy of the shelf for £50 a throw.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wii u the way forward you can use it on the tv or the hand held which is great. There more child friendly games ie. Mario in various formats and Lego etc etc. Plenty for young kids. My 5 year grandson loves it he uses it for kids netflix too :)

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
our youngest is 7 now and the wii (not the U) hasnt been on for months. we now have an XBox One as well as the older 360.....so that tells you something about what they play.

but, forget all that - buy him an ipad!

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Stick with the Eggs Box , you'll have hours of Cracking fun ... You won't have to Shell out a fortune and it the picture gets Scrambled you can always play with Soldiers :lol:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 5yo. I have a PS3 and a Wii (not the U). My son plays LEGO Star Wars (and occasionally Disney Infinity) on the PS3, but we've yet to use the Wii...

TBH, I worry that the current crop of consoles mean the games are just too realistic for a 5yo. Even the LEGO ones are quite violent, but because it's LEGO it hard to see the link. The graphics are so good, it starts to blur boundaries - just look at the latest superhero games, clearly fantasy, but the people look and behave like people, not cartoon characters.

With the Wii, all the family games are clearly just that, yet there are older games too. I'm warming to booting up the Wii and seeing whether then next Wii (after the U) would be worth a punt.

I haven't and don't plan on buying any other games for my son, although I may plump for Disney Infinity 3.0 - Star Wars FTW.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As gaming is a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' of mine I have all 3 consoles. They all have their good and not so good points.

If I was to pick one of them for a 5 year old it would be the Wii-U all day long. It hasn't got the biggest library of games but the quality of games is great and the games are generally a lot of 'fun'.

Bear in mind though that at some point you will need to add some extra storage in the form of a USB stick or external hard drive - especially if you download a few games.

:nice:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Graham just my input ,I'm not into 'gaming' we bought a ps4 but none of the games were suitable for the kids so we sold it and bought the wii u with Mario and mario kart 8 etc, my son and daughter play mario kart 8 and it's great!!! Imo and im by no means an expert !!!! Is buy wii u if for family gaming ,the ps4 graphics etc were immense it was like playing an actual film (if that makes sense) but hard to play for a idiot like me :(

·
Registered
663 Posts
As gaming is a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' of mine I have all 3 consoles. They all have their good and not so good points.

If I was to pick one of them for a 5 year old it would be the Wii-U all day long. It hasn't got the biggest library of games but the quality of games is great and the games are generally a lot of 'fun'.

Bear in mind though that at some point you will need to add some extra storage in the form of a USB stick or external hard drive - especially if you download a few games.

:nice:
Nice one Jonesy, you greedy sos and so :)
I think I've made my mind up fellas. It's the Wii U. Just looking for the best price now or maybe a nearly new on from 'the bay.'
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Graham, before you make your purchase check out shopto.net and ebuyer.com.

I bought my Xbox One and my PS4 from shopto.net and have bought from them for years, normally cheaper and have always had good customer service.

Also 2nd the Wii U, nieces and nephews would sit on that all day long if they could...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.