Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was looking to change to after market wheels ideally with maximum concave, which probably means the widest wheel you can fit.

I know you can go on some websites that give you a checker but I don't think this actually allows you to fit the widest wheels, might be wrong here though.

Just wanting to know what's the widest wheel you can fit even if needing a little tyre stretch, for instance would a 9.5" with a wild offset work?

Would also be good to hear from some members that have fitted some extra wide wheels where also some modification has been required to fit and how this has effected the handling.

Thanks, James.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The widest tyres without cutting rs itself I've heard are 265/35/18 on conpomotives (et 50 width 9 inches diameter 18 inches). For some rses to fit it was required to remove the spacer on the rear. In fact you have three varibles in that equation except et and width of the rim: the real width of the tyre (not all 265 have 265 mm width - some less some more, soft side wall etc, suspension type:lowered with springs / coilovers etc and tolerances hownthe specific rs was made (for some this setup rubs inner rear wings for some not).

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Comps 9 inch wide, 265 35 18 Federals Rs-r lowered with KW v3 .No need for spacers removal etc.
the only time I had very light rubbing, when 4 people and full boot, going around slow , sharp corners at race track in Spain :nice:

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The widest tyres without cutting rs itself I've heard are 265/35/18 on conpomotives (et 50 width 9 inches diameter 18 inches). For some rses to fit it was required to remove the spacer on the rear. In fact you have three varibles in that equation except et and width of the rim: the real width of the tyre (not all 265 have 265 mm width - some less some more, soft side wall etc, suspension type:lowered with springs / coilovers etc and tolerances hownthe specific rs was made (for some this setup rubs inner rear wings for some not).
Thanks for the info buddy, sort of knew there wouldn't be a straight forward awnser :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking for that concave look.

But to go that wide would probably mean some very stretched tyres which would do the handling no good at all.

Thing is I think Ford got the design right, so just looking for something similar in design but with that concave look and lighter, but I suppose we can't have it all.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well mine is a daily driver and a trackday car from time to time. I will be going to compomotives with 256 tyres (having 400hp+). Still for me the function over look. Yea I do it partially for look but function is most important one. This is your car though - do whatever you want to.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last thing I want to do is ruin the handling, so as you say function is most important.

Just got some KW V3 Coilovers to improve the handling too.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Looking for that concave look.

But to go that wide would probably mean some very stretched tyres which would do the handling no good at all.

Thing is I think Ford got the design right, so just looking for something similar in design but with that concave look and lighter, but I suppose we can't have it all.
Although the rims aren't concave raeder Motorsport have made a 9.5 wide wheel work. The fit ATS rims on their upgrades

http://www.raeder-motorsport.de/html/raeder_ford_focus_rs.html

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Brake Testing Legend
4,165 Posts
Deano was running 9.5/18 inch Rotas with a 235/40 18 tyre that stuck right out, I can't remember the wheel offset. The fit looked fantastic on the car but they only fitted due to the stretch on the tyres.

He was also very lowered on coilovers, which added to the look but he had very bad rubbing issues at the Nurburgring where one of the rear arches cut into the rim protector part of the tyre.

Depending what you are going to use your car for depends how low & wide you can get away with :yep:

I hope you get something sorted & I look forward to seeing it when it's done

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
It's all in the offset. There are very few wheels available in the stud pattern and offset required to get a 9.5 inch wheel to fit..... I tried for a long time to find one that wasn't the best part of 2k.

From memory there weren't (m)any that were dished

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you want specific et you can order Braid wheels made to your order (width, stud pattern, et) but they are more race/rally wheels not tuning wheels so not sure if you will look of it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Top Gear always maintained that any car tuned to do extremely well at the Nurburing would have a poor ride in normal use in the UK and be ruined!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts