Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why SYNC2, aren't they now deploying SYNC3.

From what I've read SYNC 2 is slow and glitchy.

And as normal with software thats been dropped (EOL) I can't see MS providing updates etc, maybe some patches where needed - but no advancement.

As much as i am tempted, do i really want a car where the user interface is going to be frustrating as hell...

Any one had experience of SYNC2 - what is it really like?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Good system, I liked it.
But I would rather get the latest, Sync 3 , which has the benefit of working with Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
Ford UK currently can't confirm which system would be available in UK
Their answer was , "final specs are not finalized yet, so stay tuned for further updates "

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Good system, I liked it.
But I would rather get the latest, Sync 3 , which has the benefit of working with Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
Ford UK currently can't confirm which system would be available in UK
Their answer was , "final specs are not finalized yet, so stay tuned for further updates "
So although we have an options list it's still in the process of been finalised before 8th October when the pre order books close?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knowing Ford, the books will close before the configurator is updated and bits will be added after. Just like the camera was there now its not.

Don't get how they can take orders without actually providing an accurate shopping list - and what the final price will really be.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
So although we have an options list it's still in the process of been finalised before 8th October when the pre order books close?
Makes me want to hold off with my order for as long as possible to see if they confirm the spec before the 8th October. Don't know if I can contain myself that long though. :bounce:

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
8th of October is a cut of date for options to be submitted to your dealer, so plenty of times for an update.
Also , options can be still altered on vista before production built date slot at the factory.
With regards to Mk2 rear camera, it was a free bonus upgrade fo lux2 customers,after books were close.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Why SYNC2, aren't they now deploying SYNC3.

From what I've read SYNC 2 is slow and glitchy.

And as normal with software thats been dropped (EOL) I can't see MS providing updates etc, maybe some patches where needed - but no advancement.

As much as i am tempted, do i really want a car where the user interface is going to be frustrating as hell...

Any one had experience of SYNC2 - what is it really like?
They'll probably offer us an upgrade to Sync 3 for another £450.....

·
Registered
306 Posts
The unit can not be upgraded, everything including the display itself is totally different. No upgrade it possible. You're looking at Sync 2 for the foreseeable future as Sync 3 has not yet been adapted to this region, and according to the sources in the Mustang forums, where people are asking the same questions, the work to do this has not yet started. Sync 2 is the order of the day for EU customers, guys, not even Mustangs expected to be delivered in November 2016 are getting Sync 3. That's all I can say.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought we drive cars not play with the gadgets :lol:

I can live without it. My radio is off most the time in my car anyway
Both mate, tekkie geek who likes fast cars, £30K+ plus for mis a decent wedge so just want to make sure i'll be fairly happy with it, especially as we can't go to a showroom to see the thing and check things out in person... Everything is taken on faith!

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I've had my current car 3 years and still can't work the satnav :facepalm: , not sure I'll miss sync 3 :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Well that's it, that's my order canc... hold it... it's still the car I most definitely want out of anything else around (in my price range :lol:)
Yup, buy the car and enjoy it!

The problem is there are hardly any manufacturers out there with a good and stable story re entertainment, sat nav and smart phone integration. My beef with Sync2 v Sync3 is we'd be ordering something that is unlikely to receive much TLC moving forwards as it is already the previous version, Sync (Sync1) receives next to zero love these days and similar story for NX sat nav updates on mk2.

And Ford's Carplay story is obscure, some talk of third party apps working on Sync3 but it is supposedly not full Carplay because Ford wants a consistent look I think and no full Carplay, they don't want a few hundred dollar phone driving a few thousand dollars worth of car's head unit user interface design if I understood the interview I saw with Ford staff correctly and yet this is frustrating because it implies apps have to be ported for Sync3 to be able to play nicely which in the real world probably implies a rather limited choice of apps, whilst Carplay would at least allow the developers to port to one API and run on several different manufacturer's head units. In short I don't hold out much hope to be able to install Waze on my iPhone and then have it as my third party sat nav of choice. Perhaps TomTom iPhone apps will eventually work, but again only if they want to invest in porting to Sync3, and then are we going to get sync3 head units in the UK / EU anyway for later MY builds if Focus mk3 is nearing end of life?

So what's the alternative? How easily can the factory 8" touch screen be removed and replaced with a third party head unit on a mk3 Focus? At least the DEATC controls are separate this time even with Sync2 or Sync2 + sat nav option so perhaps go with the standard fit Sync2 with a view to removing and replacing with something CarPlay (and whatever the Android equivalent is) compatible.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
as long as it has satnav with reverse cam im happy,i cant keep up with all this technostuff :laughing: whats applecarplay?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.