Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Hi, I'm looking to buy a gopro so I can do some vids of the car etc but with there being a few versions out now I'm looking at advise for which to go for, also I'm after advise of any extra bits you would recommend. I been looking at the gopro 4 black editon that's now under £300 at argos. Any advise would be welcome. Cheers

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looking for a GoPro myself curry's is about the £300 mark just want to know what's the best to go for the hero 4 black, silver or session?

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
it all depends on what you actually want from the GoPro?

wifi ? Yes/no? Very handy as it means no wifi back required which means new casing too

Wifi Eats batteries but there is a nifty cable adaptor that can replace the battery and run directly from a USB port.

what resolution do you want/need some if the later ones are equipped with 4k TV capability, no good if you ain't got nor plan to get 4k tv

my suggestion is have a close look at go pro home pages and different specs to decide what you NEED and what are niceties.

Let that be your guide.

also said cable to replace battery I believe still works in sealed housing.

if you to run an audio microphone you will need a skeleton case, this is not waterproof so useless for outside shots in the set.

mounts are another consideration

suction cup?

handlebar grip?

sticky connectors ?

etc

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
You could also look at the db power sj4000 wifi from amazon just as good as gopro in silver £62.99 brand new.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I bought the basic one. For my needs it was good enough and the quality is fine. Look at what they each do on the gopro website, there's a useful comparison table there. Sound isnt great on the basic one, too much windnoise and you can't attach an external mic. Can't fault the picture quality or smoothness though. I'll upgrade to a better one next time but I don't use it at all that much anyway so didn't want to spend £300 to use it only a few times a year.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
My other half gave me a GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition for Christmas, it's a nice combo of features, performance and price. The black edition would have given me a higher frame rate at 4K, but, I don't actually have anything I can view 4K video on at native resolution currently anyway.

Also, consider that it's a slippery slope re accessories, memory card is extra and you need a fast card, plus I wanted to be able to run the GoPro from the 12V supply in the car hence you then need either the skeleton mount or drill a standard waterproof casing to accept the USB power lead.

The wide angle lens is handy, and Adobe Lightroom knows how to correct GoPro still images to remove the fish eye distortion.

Edit: Actually I think GoPro Studio also has a fisheye correction option, I just tend to use Lr6 when I am taking still images.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm looking to get a GoPro for the rallies I watch

am I right in thinking the hero4 silver will blue tooth to phone or iPad so if I have the camera next too the stages I can view and control the camera on my phone or iPad ??

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Sorry to thread jack.

Do go pro do a solid in car mount?

Really want to get a camera for trackdays but most are banning suction mounts and I'm unsure about mounting on tow eye for trackdays..... Will forget to take off and in sure it will disappear

·
Registered
421 Posts
as said earlier it really depends on what your wanting from the camera but ill go throuhg each one and you can decide for yourself

Go Pro Hero
£89.52
basic model shoots 1080p full HD and 30FPS and 720p 60FPS
sealed unit so cannot add lcd backpack or battery pack.
all mounts fits apparently.

Hero 3 White

£149.00

same as the hero but gives you wifi capabilities. youll need wifi is u want to use things like the remote or connect it to your phone to use the app.

Go Pro hero 3+ silver

£189.00

shoots in 1080p full hd at 60FPS. Benefits for this would be you can shoot slow motion shots in full resolution.better sensor better firmware

Go Pro Hero 4 silver

£255.00

shoots in 1080p at 60FPS and 720p at 120 FPS, better audio better lens, nightlapse, better low light, Larger megapixel, built in LCD

Go pro hero 4 black

£314.99
Shoots at 4k at 30fps has all the features of the hero 4 silver without the LCD. this one is more for professionals.

Personally if your not going to use any of the fancy features and just want something that records track days just go for the normal hero. if you want something that you can play around with and want a built in lcd go for the hero 4 silver.

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Sorry to thread jack.
Do go pro do a solid in car mount?
Really want to get a camera for trackdays but most are banning suction mounts and I'm unsure about mounting on tow eye for trackdays..... Will forget to take off and in sure it will disappear
They do a pole mount, think that is OK to use on a roll cage and they do a roll bar mount, way down page

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts-accessories/?gclid=CI7anLu7w8sCFe8W0wodCHMJZg&dclid=CLGcs7u7w8sCFQunFgodvA8I9w

1 - 20 of 26 Posts