Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good grief, pretty much everything looks awful :laughing:

The completely wrong looking 3 door version of the MK3 focus combined with a MK2 RS bodykit...yeah, that thing would be so wide, you can't drive it anywhere XD

Some people, I swear :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It's daft, but does indicate a truth. The MK2 platform was best in class and so the RS mk2 stood every chance of being great which it was. It was launched to great aclaim and few had seen its like! It was an attention grabbing beast of a car.
The mk3 platform isn't the best in class so the new RS has its work cut out, plus it looks like an ST which already means it is rather plain.
So lots of people are very disappointed. It may drive well, but looks are the other 50% of a car's appeal and the MK3 lacks in that department.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
It's daft, but does indicate a truth. The MK2 platform was best in class and so the RS mk2 stood every chance of being great which it was. It was launched to great aclaim and few had seen its like! It was an attention grabbing beast of a car.
The mk3 platform isn't the best in class so the new RS has its work cut out, plus it looks like an ST which already means it is rather plain.
So lots of people are very disappointed. It may drive well, but looks are the other 50% of a car's appeal and the MK3 lacks in that department.
I was putting mine in the garage after a drive yesterday and looked back at it as I went to open the garage. That looks phat (sorry for the slang) I said. Just can't get enough of its looks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How is the the MK3 not the best in its class nowadays? Potentially at least.

Pretty much every hatch nowadays looks a lot more bland compared to a few years ago.

Slicker, meaner more agile, everywhere you look.

Only exceptions are the STi and the Type R and while the do polarize for some, others call the cheap with plastic bits attached.

So yea, I really don't see your point, styling wise, especially the front the MK3 is just as aggressive compared to the other hatches around than the MK2 was back then.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
How is the the MK3 not the best in its class nowadays? Potentially at least.
Pretty much every hatch nowadays looks a lot more bland compared to a few years ago.
Slicker, meaner more agile, everywhere you look.
Only exceptions are the STi and the Type R and while the do polarize for some, others call the cheap with plastic bits attached.

So yea, I really don't see your point, styling wise, especially the front the MK3 is just as aggressive compared to the other hatches around than the MK2 was back then.
I understand your point. In fact, I talked with a motoring journalist and he said that the modern buyer of sporting cars expect it to be totally suitable as a daily drive, fairly anonymous but also red hot when required. Whereas I'm a dinosaur. I still love the idea of an outragious drivers car for a few hardcore enthusiasts. I hoped the RS would be that, but it's not going to be. It's a shame that the insidious creeping nature of beige is taking over everything. But I accept that it's probably me that's out of step...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I understand your point. In fact, I talked with a motoring journalist and he said that the modern buyer of sporting cars expect it to be totally suitable as a daily drive, fairly anonymous but also red hot when required. Whereas I'm a dinosaur. I still love the idea of an outragious drivers car for a few hardcore enthusiasts. I hoped the RS would be that, but it's not going to be. It's a shame that the insidious creeping nature of beige is taking over everything. But I accept that it's probably me that's out of step...
If the AWD system holds true, it will be the best drivers focus ever, with or without extra bulky parts.

I also think its just not feasible from a financial point of view anymore, at least not based on a focus.

Think a different platform, one specifically for something like that would be cool tho, something along the lines of an Audi TTRS, a real sports coupe.

Altho that might clash with the Mustang, so I dunno...think of like a maybe 40k ish mini GT :smile:

The times of outrageous Focus models are over tho I'd say.

Maaaaybe if the RS really sells like hotcakes you get an RS 500 MK3 or some very special aero package on the RS MK4, to make it look like a rally/race car again.

MK4 being global again, I really doubt you would get YOUR focus again tho, that will forever be the MK2...and truth be told, there are worse cars to have as a favorite :thumbsup:

·
Registered
985 Posts
We seem to be back at the mk2 v mk3 which is best argument yet again! .Mk2 wins hands down on looks .This is good because it will therefore always be no1 on that score.The mk3 is awaiting scrutiny from press and buyers but I am sure it will deliver in all areas,....it has to so, that it is a worthy successor to the mk2.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There isn't much of an argument to be had, the most memorable RS's historically had bulging arches, spoilers and stuck/bolt on bits. It was the RS way.. Of course there were a few toned down cars on the way but in he main they were loud.

If you didn't like loud or wanted something a bit limp you could have purchased an Xr, Zetec-s, or ST.

The Mk3 is trying to tick a lot of boxes, and claw back some money for Ford who a while back were in deep trouble financially. Will it do it? How good will it be? No one knows yet so let's keep the mk2/mk3 bashing for other forums please. It's getting very boring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the understated looks and the five doors. I want a car that goes and handles, not one that attracts (unwelcome) attention. If it had not had 5 doors I would not have put an order in.

Other attractions for me are the value for money, and the innovative 4wd technology, all in a practical package that I can use day to day.

My daily driver is an ST3 but I've never had a Mk2 so cannot comment on that vs the Mk3.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.