Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
My drivers wheel is sitting a few mms behind the other when parked. And i think that the wheel or something in the suspension has play in it as when i reverse then press the brakes i can hear something clunk from one side to the other.

Also the other day when i had to slam on at speed. The drivers wheel ended up pushing back that much i could hear it rubbing on the mudflap.
I have had it in a garage, they can hear something is not right just like i can but when inspecting the car they cannot see anything wrong. Nothing is bent or loose and from what they can see and the bushes look fine.

Does any 1 have any ideas?

He did suggest it may be the suspension top mount. Or even possibly the wishbone mounts and he just cant simulate the force of braking with his hands.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check subframe bolts are there. I had a RS where it had a subframe bolt missing

Have you had any recent work done on ur car
Thats a scary thought. I will check this as soon as. down pipe fitted thats about it

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
That wouldn't be touched.

The RS I found it on was only in for suspected wishbone bushes. So fitted the Hardrace items. But upon more inspection a subframe bolt had gone. So obviously loose and wound itself out

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mmmmmm I've been asked this problem on many occasions

1. Check the subframe widget bolts
2. The duffer nuts maybe loose
3. The flux capacitor supporting thingy needs tightening
4. The chicken wishbone needs pulling
5. There's nothing wrong at all.

Technical advice was brought too you by Clare

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmmmmm I've been asked this problem on many occasions

1. Check the subframe widget bolts
2. The duffer nuts maybe loose
3. The flux capacitor supporting thingy needs tightening
4. The chicken wishbone needs pulling
5. There's nothing wrong at all.

Technical advice was brought too you by Clare
There is definitely a problem in my situation. The wheel wouldnt push back and rub under heavy breaking for no reason.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Check the bushes in the lower arm.the rear one is oil filled,maybe it has split allowing too much movement.

Get a pry bar on it and see of it moves.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Will be lower arms,having just been suffering from the clunking & the passenger wheel sitting further back than the drivers one,replaced them both & everything is back to normal and handling is greatly improved.Dont buy from ford unless your feeling flush (£274) a side,just got mine from Dingbro Part no's FCA7127 & FCA7128, i paid just over £100 each with my discount!!

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will be lower arms,having just been suffering from the clunking & the passenger wheel sitting further back than the drivers one,replaced them both & everything is back to normal and handling is greatly improved.Dont buy from ford unless your feeling flush (£274) a side,just got mine from Dingbro Part no's FCA7127 & FCA7128, i paid just over £100 each with my discount!!
I am taking a guess that it was the bushes in the lower arm at fault and not the arm itsself?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well to bring up an old post, the clunking noise was resolved by replacing the top mount bearings. I have also replaced the lower arm bushes and ball joints but....... the drivers wheel is still sitting further back, in fact it is sitting about 10mm further back than the passenger.

John moore has suggested to Loosen the subframe bolts and see if it can be pushed forward on that side incase it is misaligned. I Thought I would see if any 1 else had any ideas whilst I am under the car looking about.

Attachments

·
SUPPLYING PARTS FOR RS AND ST FORDS SINCE 2013.
ANDY & KIRSTY CLUB SPONSORS
2,780 Posts
:thumbsup: Also try measuring from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel on both sides but you need to make sure the steering is centred.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
yes you cant go by skirts and wings etc as these can be fitted giving totally diff tolerances especially if they have been replaced in the past,measure from a fixed point like said above and hopefully itll be fine

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the comments lads,
next time I get chance ill meassure something like the End of each steering arm to the subframe mounting bolts to see if anything is bent or out of alignment on the subframe assembley and then ill meassure the centre of the front to back wheels to check is the assembley is straight with the car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Get a plumb bob and hang it from the centre of the wheel to the ground then mark where it sits at the ground. do this on all four wheels, then you can check the distance between each side front to rear.

cheeRS

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.