Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically when driving along at 40mph and above I can hear a wheel baring noise from the rear. It's not tyre noise as it has 4 recently fitted pilot super sports on it. Is it a common fail on here at about 40-50k?

Registered
Focus rear wheel bearings are fairly common on the lesser models. We change a lot in the garage. The rears are a complete hub, held in by 4 bolts, they take about 20 minutes per side to change. The fronts are a press in job. I'm not sure if the Rs uses the same parts as the front setup uses the revoknuckle. Just jack up the car and spin the wheel and check for a rumbling noise or a roughness

Registered
Check your springs (unloaded). My broken rear one allowed the tyre to skip - created a rumbling sound like you describe. New spring, same tyre, noise significantly reduced (but was still there as the tyre wear was present). New tyres, noise all gone.

You might be able to see some indicative wear on the inside edges of the tyre, but you'd probably need to get it on a four-post ramp to see.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. So went into workshop today. No evidence of anything broken. Springs all look good. How ever the laser alignment did show the rear end track was out. And the n/s rear tyre has worn down quicker that the other 3, Michelin Pilot SS.. So think the noise is down to tyre noise for sure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.