Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
RSD seem to have some very cherished examples in recently, so cherished in fact that I'm surprised they are up for sale!
Have I missed something, are prices about to plummet?
Or is it just because of the new FRS release?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I was looking through all usual websites tonight and noticed alot under 20k , don't know if prices will plummet but see alot folk thinking maybe this is best time to sell ,think prices were very high 6 months ago and have evened out or in some cases came down. Low miles cars will imo still command strong money ....who knows what will happen!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Agreed mate ;)
Individuality and character plays a large role in low depreciation.

Unfortunately for us, Ford have decided to move the RS to a broader target audience - ultimately, this will have have a large effect on its resale value, which will now be far closer to cars such as the Golf R, than the almost depreciation proof mk2 RS that we all know and love.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I think you'll find a number of owners in our local area have had enough of sleepless nights...
Modern cars are too easily nicked, I think the mk3 will be just as easily taken.

You boys worry too much, if you have a nice one keep it, you'll be ok I'm sure.. Its Just the wheat being sort out from the chaff...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just because a mk2 is up for sale doesn't mean the owner is getting ready for a mk3. Could be thousands of reasons to why the sold/traded in for.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just because a mk2 is up for sale doesn't mean the owner is getting ready for a mk3. Could be thousands of reasons to why the sold/traded in for.
I know dude, just seems to be a lot of cherished one up for sale recently and i was more curious than anything.
Having said that cherished ones are good to buy ;)

I'm not worried in the slightest tho, it's the only car I've had that without fail puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it or push the loud pedal, sometimes I even feel about 10 again lol and for me that's priceless :laughing:

·
Registered
659 Posts
There are still some very strong prices out there, especially in the low mileage section. Those cars will become keepers and will hold / increase their value. In 20 years time I can only imagine what my 19k miles pristine example will be worth.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's a difference between, limited and Global.. The new Mk3 has some big shoes to fill but just is not going to be the same as the Mk2

With the Mk3 being unveiled around the world it will only depreciate a heck of a lot more.. I can only imagine the price of the RS being on par depreciation wise as the new ST..

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
puzzled why you think the mk3 will be any different. I can't see the disguise fooling the idiots who steal fast cars.
I'm not sure I said that :wassat: let alone suggest it was what I was thinking.

The people I know who have sold, have moved on to another marque.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I really can't understand why people think the FRS Mk3 is going to depreciate so much.

Firstly, IT HAS AN RS BADGE

Secondly it is limited production, just like the mk2. The only actual 'number' limited FRS was the mk1 and the RS500. The mk2 was limited by demand and production capability just as the mk3 will be. I remember at the end of the mk2 RS production run, there were units at dealers going for under list price as the actual demand had pretty much been filled by then.

There is currently a 12 month wait and by the time they start rolling out (probably Q2 2016) anyone putting in an order will still have a 12 month wait. This will mean that as people won't want to wait, you will be able to get pretty close to list price in at least the first year of ownership.

This RS is global so Ford have to make more units for other countries than before. This will slow production and keep waiting lists long and values high. They will only be making the car for a max of 2 years until the mk4 comes. Being in the UK and right hand drive is a bonus as we aren't affected by european numbers.

I would much rather have £33k in a FRS mk3 than £45k+ in an Audi RS3 or AMG 45, as when the mk3 lands, it will offer comparable performance at £10k+ less. Its all about bang for buck and that is why FRS no matter which mark, have always held there value, not to mention a very loyal fanbase!

If you look at history, its highly likely that the mk2 will start to devalue when the mk3 comes out, just like the mk1 did. (which is even rarer than the mk2).

I counted over 70 mk2 FRS on ebay last week. If selling numbers are high and there is lots of choice, prices will naturally drop as people may want or need to sell and have to drop the price to do so.

Most people who have wanted a mk2 FRS have already either bought or owned one already. So the only people who haven't are the ones who can't afford the current prices.

Price drops open up the audience to new buyers who use and abuse and enjoy. I can't see how the mk2 has any reason to hold its value now until its numbers become sufficiently low that the prices start to go back up again. Like pretty much all previous Ford RS models

Don't get me wrong, I love everything Ford Rs especially the mk1 and mk2 but facts are facts and I'm a realist 😉

1 - 20 of 46 Posts