Focus RS Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Any sign of your steering rack going? Mines on 85k miles and It has now passed the point where living with it is an option.

·
Premium Member
High-miler MR420
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
@Alex.t sorry just seen your question. Answer = no, not so far. I did have a problem with the power steering pipework some years back (at around 50k miles iirc) but no reports of any issues from either the MOT guys or Fred at FJRS.

What issue are you having with yours?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
@Alex.t sorry just seen your question. Answer = no, not so far. I did have a problem with the power steering pipework some years back (at around 50k miles iirc) but no reports of any issues from either the MOT guys or Fred at FJRS.

What issue are you having with yours?
ahh dont worry, Yeah I did see that bit in the log.

the issues I have been having started off with knocking when slightly moving the steering wheel. This has now progressed into “what can be described as” the steering input I give is either sticking or putting in its own minor adjustments. From the research I have done it sounds like the internal pistons wear away the sleeve. I am not sure if its related but also apparently having it in sport constantly decreases the life of therack.

·
Premium Member
High-miler MR420
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Interesting! And, for the record, my car has been in sport mode since I bought it in 2009. In my defence I am very diligent about not turning the steering wheel while the car is stationary as the amount of force going through the rack like that must be enormous. Do I think there's a bit of play? Yes of course, it's done 140,000 miles but there's no slop or knock as such. Sure, if you flick the wheel when the engine isn't running you can hear a slight knock but that could be nothing more than the pinion moving between the teeth of the rack.

Bottom line: it's not something I'm fretting about (yet).

61 - 64 of 64 Posts