Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
RS mk2 MR375
My 2021 MOT failed for a broken spring, the eibachs had failed just outside the warranty period, no sign at all of anything wrong and I use mine 5-6k a year..... When Dreamscience changed them for H&R's another one failed as they took it off the car....

Registered
Mk2 RS 400
Not sure why people worry about MOT failures. Isn't the whole point to ensure the cars right? I'd rather see on MOT, stuff that's failed so I can check it's been repaired.
Cars are bit lumps of metal, that degrade or weaken over time, used or not.
Because for some it's about the cars value not it's purpose and they tell themselves a less than perfect MOT history will reduce that value.

Registered
Not sure why people worry about MOT failures. Isn't the whole point to ensure the cars right? I'd rather see on MOT, stuff that's failed so I can check it's been repaired.
Cars are bit lumps of metal, that degrade or weaken over time, used or not.
This. Also what is the alternative, the owner performs a pre MoT, MoT just to be certain? I'm not going to get hung up on an isolated failure, it's when there are multiple failures and it is occurring over a few years that you know a vehicle wasn't maintained.

The one that really annoyed me was when the MoT tester noted they could not check one of the rear seat belts because of the child seat. WTF, the child seat is attached via Isofix, they are free to do whatever they wish with the belt itself and they can see the entire length of the belt to check for damage, the seat does not interfere with checking the belt.

Registered
Mk3 Focus RS,Nitrous Blue
Had a similar problem with the wife's fiesta a few years back ,it was parked in the garage for 2 weeks came back from holiday and the 2 front springs had snapped,had to get it recovered to ford for warranty repair

Registered
Mk2 RS 400
Took mine in a few years ago to have the windscreen washer pump replaced, serviced and MOTd. They MOTd it first so obviously it failed. Broke a 10 year pass history . Haven鈥檛 lost to much sleep about it though!
Now I鈥檇 have been angry about that, simply because the car was booked in for work to pass an mot.

Registered
Because for some it's about the cars value not it's purpose and they tell themselves a less than perfect MOT history will reduce that value.
I cant see how anymore pays more for a perfect MOT history, but I may be wrong!

If checked hard enough, and at a genuine MOT testers, I guess they would find someone, even if insignificant, not to be quite right.
Like a few have said, my car also broke springs and was sat on the drive. I didn't notice it driving it but was picked up on the MOT. So, I changed the springs.

If I view a car , check the MOT history. If the same thing comes up, then I'll check more of that issued if I am consideing a purchase.

However, MOT failures wouldn't stop me buying a car if the issues been addressed.

Registered
Mk2 RS 400
I cant see how anymore pays more for a perfect MOT history, but I may be wrong!

If checked hard enough, and at a genuine MOT testers, I guess they would find someone, even if insignificant, not to be quite right.
Like a few have said, my car also broke springs and was sat on the drive. I didn't notice it driving it but was picked up on the MOT. So, I changed the springs.

If I view a car , check the MOT history. If the same thing comes up, then I'll check more of that issued if I am consideing a purchase.

However, MOT failures wouldn't stop me buying a car if the issues been addressed.
I am like you, but some people are quite obsessive about it, thus failing to recognise that it鈥檚 a car!

Registered
the mot history is great when buying a car for checking to see how its been looked after, if its had a couple of advisories in the past like slight play in ball joints and oil leaks or oil misting on the shocks etc then the following year or years they are still there then its obvious the owners not bothered about looking after the car so it gives you a good idea on how its been treated and time to move on to find a better example.
it also lets you know which areas to be checking when viewing the car to see if repairs have been carried out

Registered
Same happened to me on last years MOT.

Failed for a broken front coil spring. When tester showed me it was literally the tail end that had snapped. No difference in how the car sat or drove.
Car had only done 1500 miles between tests and next day a pair of genuine springs were fitted by Pete at DPC before being retested.

As long as invoice and retest shows repaired then I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 an issue for value or resale. Just personal pride

I have concluded that it鈥檚 not good for cars to be sat for prolonged periods and then driven. The parts are designed to be used so being laid up puts different stress on parts as opposed to being used.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts