Focus RS Forum banner

What a difference!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Poopdeck 
I know its been done to death Andrew but would you recommend going to 4+ without forging. I only give it a little push here and then. But I suppose just doing that could damage it...mmm
I don't think anyone would 'recommend' going to 4+ without forging...but if the question is "do you think I'll do any damage if I drive it with a bit of respect?" then my answer is "you'll probably be fine".

The thing is, 'probably' didn't feel right to me, so I forged anyway.

I'm sure you've already seen the photos of my standard pistons - they were in perfect condition, but with a reasonable amount of carbon deposit. I reckon the carbon would have burnt off if I'd given it more of a push from time to time - but without forging, I didn't feel confident in its ability not to go pop. So I drove with care and had the occasional short blast...which really defeats the object of having more power.

Here's the piston before and after toothbrushing the carbon off.

Hat Headgear Audio equipment Gas Personal protective equipment
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Rim Automotive fog light

Full fat 4+ with injectors, pump, plugs, breather, meth and forging has set me back about £6,000. There is a big difference between 4 and 4+ (the torque is huge) but Stage 4 is a brilliant place to get to. You just need to ignore the voices that tell you to keep upgrading :laughing:

Attachments

What's the cost for just Forging mate? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm at revo4 and debating on going 4+.
You'd have to shop around, but the going rate seems to be around £2,400 - including oil, coolant, ac recharge, gaskets, timing belt etc.

I'm sticking with Revo and SCC for tuning, but I opted for a Mountune forged build at their Essex HQ for a number of reasons.

The price is £2,999 (although there was a deal on the pistons and I paid £2,845 including a second oil and filter change). They did an absolutely first class job and the car is smoother than OEM with no clue that it's been forged. Just what I wanted :nice:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.