Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how those of you with good tires (Michelin / Goodyear ect) find driving the RS in the wet?

Do you get inherent understeer or is it quite neutral like it is in the dry? And what gears do you get wheel spin in?

I have some cheap tires on the front of mine that the dealer fitted and I find the car impossible to enjoy in the wet. Wheel spin in 4th gear (with standard engine) and massive understeer, sometimes so much so I cant keep up with zetec fiestas around roundabouts. Looking at getting all 4 tires replaced in the future, just wondering how much difference it makes or if the front heavy nature of the car will make under steer in the wet no matter what?

·
Brake Testing Legend
4,175 Posts
I was wondering how those of you with good tires (Michelin / Goodyear ect) find driving the RS in the wet?

Do you get inherent understeer or is it quite neutral like it is in the dry? And what gears do you get wheel spin in?

I have some cheap tires on the front of mine that the dealer fitted and I find the car impossible to enjoy in the wet. Wheel spin in 4th gear (with standard engine) and massive understeer, sometimes so much so I cant keep up with zetec fiestas around roundabouts. Looking at getting all 4 tires replaced in the future, just wondering how much difference it makes or if the front heavy nature of the car will make under steer in the wet no matter what?
Good tyres will be like night & day compared with what you describe it being like now :yep:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, ill hurry up and get them done, its about time the Duran's went in the bin. Just annoying having to swap nearly new tires but its worth doing if it makes that much difference.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Ive only ever had cheaper tyres once and that was on the ST, so similar in front end weight. Never again. Not that i drive particularly fast in the wet, but just pulling out if junctions and low speed corners they were awful. The other factor when you work the numbers is wear is
likely ti be greater from cheap tyres, so if you work out cost versus mileage you dont actually save money. Better safe and get decent tyres
Goodyear Assy, Conti 5s or Michelin. Personally my favorite is GY Assy 2s.

·
Premium Member
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
2,449 Posts
I didn't realise Duran Duran did tyres, though they made music, lol

Cool, ill hurry up and get them done, its about time the Duran's went in the bin. Just annoying having to swap nearly new tires but its worth doing if it makes that much difference.

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
Budget tyres have no place on an RS. I run Mich SS with 375, stable puts power down well yes you can spin the tyres in any gear if you really wanted to wet or dry so progressive power is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
High-miler MR420
2,094 Posts
Strongly agree. There are folks on the internet who will swear that premium tyres are a waste of money and, if they drive at 50 on the dual carriageway and potter down to the betting shop, they will be fine with ditchfinders. I don't subscribe to that view. My Michelin PSS are half worn and been on the car for 20,000 miles, that's impressive! Anything less is a false economy in my view.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't realise Duran Duran did tyres, though they made music, lol
Lol, maybe they have given up their music careers to create poor quality tires haha! I did make a mistake they are Durun not Duran :p Its annoying any dealer would put such rubbish on a high performance vehicle, they are outright dangerous really. That's why I have put it off for such a long time as they were brand new when I got the car.

I think ill get the Goodyear's as they're a bit cheaper than the Michelin PSS and from what i read have better wet grip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.