Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My washers have stopped working. Water filled up ok but no noise from either pump. Same for both headlamp washers and front and rear washers.
Looking at old posts Clive mentioned that the washer stalk is common to both pumps could it be a bad connection? Does anyone have the wiring diaphragm and how to access the pumps?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Blocked filter or knackered pump.

I swapped the pump (which comes with a new filter) because getting the main washer bottle out is a pain. No need to remove the small bottle, just disconnect it. There is a tricky bracket you have to slide off to free the main bottle. Once out, I took the bracket off before refitting. I also replaced all the rubber o rings that the pumps and pipes fit into as the old ones often leak after being disturbed. It is a job you really only want to do once.

BTW, I bought a Febi Bilstein pump as it appears to be the same as OEM. Same serial numbers printed on it, just missing the FoMoCo logo.

Of course, the pump, bottle and o rings are the same as fitted to the mk2 ST.

I used this guide (which I'm sure was written by a STOC or RSOC member). Credit to the author.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
2,776 Posts
Where is fuse 136 located?
It’s under the glove box, you can see 136 near R2 (middle one of the three), it also powers the heater washer jets.

Rectangle Font Electronic device Parallel Circuit component

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the headlamp washer fused separately to the main pump? My garage replaced the main pump but won't work do both pumps need to be working as I can't believe that both have failed at the same time.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that the headlamp washer failed originally as I never use it, except at mot time. This would be why the new main pump won't work as they both operate together. Garage has ordered a new Ford headlamp washer pump will be interesting to see if that sorts out the problem.

·
Registered
Alb (Mk2 MP350)
3,705 Posts
You can check inputs and outputs from the GEM using the diagnostic mode:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts