Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ashamed to admit that I have had a Das Pro Polisher sat in my garage for the last year untouched. Primarily as I was scared to use it lol.

Today that all changed, after living with a nasty bird poo mark on the roof spoiler after many attempts at hand polishing with various compounds just made it look worse..

I ended up with this huge mark staring back at me every day! It looked like it had been sand papered & I was gutted.

Got the DA polisher with a meduim pad & fine cutting compound & the results were amazing:) It only took a few mins & now its hardly visible. So I quit whilst I was ahead, Iam sure I could get it to vanish just dont want to risk it.

Just a shame I wasnt brave enough to do any before & after shots - I will next time :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not much risk with a DA if thats what is your main concern. You could literally put it on full speed and hold it in the same place and its highly unlikely to burn through the paint, thats what a random orbital polisher is designed to do.

The only real risks are catching the backing plate on an edge... But if you take care and go slow you will be fine!

Hope that puts some worries to rest for you mate!

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Yes it has thanks Tom, much appreciated mate. I had read various articles that usually stains left by bird poo are near impossible to remove (obviously depends on the depth), so i guess I was lucky this time

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I cant get enough of my DA (random orbital) polisher. Did my wifes brand new Fiesta Zetec S Red Edition with it as the supplying dealer had made a right :f: mess of it.

Wouldn't believe how different it looked after I had finished it. My neighbour even commented on the difference after thinking I was mad machine polishing a brand new car!

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I can't believe how many years I used to do multistage details by hand!!

Having a DA makes it sooooo much easier and the results are miles better. One day a year is booked in my calendar every year to give the car a good going over :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Great fun polishing a car :nice: was a bit scared the first time, but so long as I used the proper polisher and avoided picking the orbital sander loaded with P40 grit, comes up a real treat.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep Iv'e now got the polishing bug, still going to test it out on the Mini first though :whistle: but the RS's roof certainly needs sorting out, the thing is where do you stop? Mine looks good until you get up close & can see orange peel - been researching "wet sanding" not all that scary really so might be a project over the winter - will test on the mini first though lol :nice:

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah i bought a bigfoot last year and loved it. I was also concerned with the stories of destroying your paint work as a newb but it was like taking candy from a baby.

Waiting until the christmas sale to buy the smaller version too.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Where is best place to order one? I'm a sceptic too but would love to see results and costs involved etc ,what do you guys use and what stages? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Performance Blue looks awesome if you spend the time to machine it properly. The O/H Fiesta ST went from this:

250320122850.jpg

to this:

250320122851.jpg

P1030968_zpsb2756dfc.jpg

Das6 + Menzerna pads and compounds = :cloud9:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Looks some good work there Dal :nice:

I feeling of satisfaction after completing the job yourself is well worth the effort :yep:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts