Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and one of her friends are taking a short break to Sandown on IOW during Sept. 2015

Anyone got any ideas of what to do & see the island? or where to eat

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
i dont remember much of my trip there about 13 years ago, but i remember going to The Needles, it was really nice, theres an old fort with bunkers, cannons etc, you can walk there from the visitor centre or theres an open top bus, and there was a chairlift from the top of the cliffs down on to the beach and lots to do and see at the visitor centre

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Hi Dave,

It depends what they're looking to spend the day doing; if it's sightseeing then Osborne House, a former royal residence near East Cowes is worth a look, as is Carisbrooke Castle (Newport). I haven't been there for years so can't offer much in the way of advice on where to eat etc! :whistle: :smile:

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chris & Pete.

I thought one of our UG owners was a CHEF on the island? or has he sold it now

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
http://www.wighthotel.co.uk
We stayed at this hotel was really nice we were there in May doing the isle of white challenge , did not have much time for sight seeing , some areas a little run down sadly, lots of boarded up buildings that at one time would have been lovely, I suppose you get that anywhere ,! I didn't take my RS as was paranoid about getting on the boat and parking ! Lol . Have fun , oh the hotel we stayed in did a great 5 course meal which was lovely ,!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm on Iow and live right near Sandown. Will post a list of possible things to do and see in due course.

How long are they staying for ?

I believe is the chef is RS FOX - not sure he is on here anymore but his pub/restaurant has a great reputation. his ug focus is quite a head turner !!

Are you coming too Dave ? Would be great to meet you and say hello.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@RS Jonesy

Matt,

No its a girls week away for 7 days, i will PM you the dates they will be there.

Thanks for this, look forward to the list for them.

Sheree is already surfing like mad for things to do but it is always good to get local recommendations.

One of these days i will get back over there though. last time i was there was over 50 years ago as a youngster .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dave - if you can give me a brief idea of the sort of things they enjoy I'll put my thinking hat on ie: cultural, pubs, nightclubs, activities, sightseeing etc

The island is a bit 'run down' in places but also has some lovely walks, views, pubs etc

Will your wife be bringing the RS :) ?

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Dave - if you can give me a brief idea of the sort of things they enjoy I'll put my thinking hat on ie: cultural, pubs, nightclubs, activities, sightseeing etc

The island is a bit 'run down' in places but also has some lovely walks, views, pubs etc

Will your wife be bringing the RS :) ? Not in a million years, she isnt insured to drive it and more importantly doesn't want to either.
I did see a paragliding club near Blackgang, but neither of them like heights so that's no good.

My wife hates escalators & Chris wont use lifts :lol

so that probably also rules out the chairlift at the needles and more than likely any steps going down as well, although they can look from the top of the site probably.

a quiet pub with good food at a reasonable price is probably all the entertainment they will want, both are in their 5th decade.

maybe a meal out at RS Fox place could be in order, depends how they are feeling and whats on the menu probably.

the point of the week is to get away and relax from work and the hassles of life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts