Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have just joined this forum and am sure many of you are unfortunately over-familiar with the problem know as 'veering steering' that the Mk 3 RS is prone to?

Having found many other owners complaining about it on the Mk 3 Focus RS Club forum, which I joined a couple of weeks ago, I posted my views on there and wrote to Ford.

Not surprisingly, they made no acknowledgement of the defect - despite it being common knowledge across the whole dealership network, so I wrote to managing director, Andy Barratt.

Again, not surprisingly, he referred it down to customer services and they duly fobbed me off for eight weeks before denying it was an issue (they were aware of) and referring me back to my local dealer.

That was enough for me.

Their attempt to dismiss, divide and conquer by refusing to admit the scale of the veering steering problem is not good enough.

So, if there is the same depth of feeling on here as there is on the Mk 3 Focus RS Club forum, will you join me in trying to get this sorted?

It is evident that we have to force Ford to admit the scale of the problem - and it seems the only way that will happen is by as many of you as possible writing to them.

Here's what to do:

1. Address your e-mail to [email protected] - marked for the attention of Amy Birtles - and cc it to [email protected] plus [email protected] and managing director, Andy Barratt [email protected]
  2. Cut and paste my suggested text from below and insert your registration number where indicated
  3. Use it as it is, or amend in any way you wish to personalise to add new points of your own
  4. Insert your name and contact details at the end
  5. Get it sent off to Ford UK as fast as possible (let's finally get some momentum going that they cannot ignore)
  6. Let me know when you have sent it, so I can co-ordinate our efforts
  7. Report back to me with any response you receive and what Ford propose to do - again so I can monitor our effectiveness

I cannot stress the importance of as many of you as possible getting behind this, as it is clear that Ford are intent on playing it down and denying the problem. They are clearly determined not to acknowledge that there is an issue and pass the buck back down to dealership level.

It is only by making a concerted, high-impact effort like this that we can begin to get them to take it seriously.

So please get behind this and rid them of the shallow, patronising excuse that this is nothing they have heard of. We know it is a prevalent and dangerous problem!

Here's the e-mail text:

I am writing to you about a potentially very dangerous flaw with my Focus RS Mk 3 (insert registration number here).

Under hard acceleration it exhibits a consistently erratic steering trait, with unwanted corrective changes in direction, resulting in a frightening high-speed loss of control.

The car arbitrarily removes driver input at the most vital point and it - rather than me - seems to decide the direction of travel. Driver control is delegated elsewhere and the car instantaneously begins switching the direction of travel from one side to the other.

On further investigation, this is commonly referred to as 'veering steering' and is causing major concern among RS owners.

In short, the car decides where it wants to go and not where I intend it to be. The steering seems to overrule my instructions. That, in turn, has forced me to make wholly unnecessary adjustments during routine overtaking manoeuvres or under acceleration.

On more than one occasion I thought my car was going to go off the road or collide with another vehicle.

After speaking to many fellow RS owners and viewing numerous forums at home and overseas, it is clear that this 'veering steering' is a very common occurrence.

Many have already taken their vehicles back to dealerships and reported that technicians all over the country are extremely familiar with the symptoms.

However, there is no sign of any official acknowledgement by Ford UK, even though each time a vehicle undergoes this sort of diagnostic analysis, the results will be communicated and logged centrally. Indeed, the feedback I have received is that it is being dismissed as one or two isolated examples.

I can assure you it is not. I am therefore asking you to investigate the problem at a higher level, instead of trying to diffuse it sporadically around your dealer network.

Put very simply, it is akin to driving on ice or through a water trap, giving me no confidence in the car whatsoever due to its unpredictability and instability.

It seems that Ford are refusing - in public at least - to acknowledge the problem and provide a solution. There is no doubt that one is very urgently needed.

This is a fundamental flaw that is in urgent need of identification and elimination before it results in a serious accident or fatality. It really is the most alarming, irrational sensation and one which makes me acutely nervous behind the wheel.

I await your response with great interest.

Kind regards

(insert your name and contact details)

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Funny as I also had mine checked for the very same thing I feel I am fighting to keep the wheel straight... Of course on return on my car there was nothing wrong.. But it does still veer off slightly

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine does this but only when I rag it. I had an ST before that I had up to 300bhp and that was terrible.

Even with 4wd at the end of the day it is still is a family hatchback with a shed load of power.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If i wanted to put my foot down and still be able to hold my pepsi max from a mcdonalds services in my left hand, and casually hold onto the steering wheel with my right, i would have bought a Golf R.

Right or wrong i love the fact that when i floor it, the car decides if we make it or not. Character, why i bought an RS.🤤

Eye Wood Wrinkle Flash photography Vehicle door

Attachments

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
If i wanted to put my foot down and still be able to hold my pepsi max from a mcdonalds services in my left hand, and casually hold onto the steering wheel with my right, i would have bought a Golf R.
Right or wrong i love the fact that when i floor it, the car decides if we make it or not. Character, why i bought an RS.
attachicon.gif
B5D0255D-CFE2-496A-8848-555B255EB471.jpeg
Any more entries for today's Famous Last Words competition?

·
Registered
149 Posts
When i bought the car i nievly thought with it being AWD then it would go in a straight line, this is the first AWD i have had so didnt have anything to go by, however i have to say a slight camber in the road and it certainly wants to go in that direction. Like what has been said put my foot down and it just wants to veer right most of the time. Turn the ESP and the button on the stalk and all is good, proper straight line speed but doesnt do much for your back haha. Love the engine and the attention the car brings but got to say i will not get another which is a shame as i have always wanted a RS since being a kid but the build quality on the car is shocking, worst i have ever had.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
:facepalm: I give up. For the last time, lets get this clear,this is NOT about a bit of fun torque steer or a little 'tug' or tramlining, it is purely the car doing a good impression of taking part in a slalom course all by its own with the steering wheel oscillating left/right/lef/right uncontrollably by its OWN when on full throttle towards top of third gear on a slightly cambered/crown in road surface( and if you manage to stay in it, also in 4th gear) It is NOT a bit of character or because the car has 345bhp, it is not down to driving style or lack of skill or due to what car you were once used to in the past. It is a serious issue for the folk that have experienced it and that it has almost had them off the road or veer in to the vehicle they are overtaking or just overtaken. If you drive like miss daisy or your car is a garage queen and you think giving it a quick squirt and it doesnt happen means you are in a position to dismiss this issue as a joke then you are wrong.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have just joined this forum and am sure many of you are unfortunately over-familiar with the problem know as 'veering steering' that the Mk 3 RS is prone to?

Having found many other owners complaining about it on the Mk 3 Focus RS Club forum, which I joined a couple of weeks ago, I posted my views on there and wrote to Ford.

Not surprisingly, they made no acknowledgement of the defect - despite it being common knowledge across the whole dealership network, so I wrote to managing director, Andy Barratt.

Again, not surprisingly, he referred it down to customer services and they duly fobbed me off for eight weeks before denying it was an issue (they were aware of) and referring me back to my local dealer.

That was enough for me.

Their attempt to dismiss, divide and conquer by refusing to admit the scale of the veering steering problem is not good enough.

So, if there is the same depth of feeling on here as there is on the Mk 3 Focus RS Club forum, will you join me in trying to get this sorted?

It is evident that we have to force Ford to admit the scale of the problem - and it seems the only way that will happen is by as many of you as possible writing to them.

Here's what to do:

• Address your e-mail to [email protected] - marked for the attention of Amy Birtles - and cc it to [email protected] and managing director, Andy Barratt [email protected]
  • Cut and paste my suggested text from below and insert your registration number where indicated
  • Use it as it is, or amend in any way you wish to personalise to add new points of your own
  • Insert your name and contact details at the end
  • Get it sent off to Ford UK as fast as possible (let's finally get some momentum going that they cannot ignore)
  • Let me know when you have sent it, so I can co-ordinate our efforts
  • Report back to me with any response you receive and what Ford propose to do - again so I can monitor our effectiveness
I cannot stress the importance of as many of you as possible getting behind this, as it is clear that Ford are intent on playing it down and denying the problem. They are clearly determined not to acknowledge that there is an issue and pass the buck back down to dealership level.

It is only by making a concerted, high-impact effort like this that we can begin to get them to take it seriously.

So please get behind this and rid them of the shallow, patronising excuse that this is nothing they have heard of. We know it is a prevalent and dangerous problem!

Here's the e-mail text:

I am writing to you about a potentially very dangerous flaw with my Focus RS Mk 3 (insert registration number here).

Under hard acceleration it exhibits a consistently erratic steering trait, with unwanted corrective changes in direction, resulting in a frightening high-speed loss of control.

The car arbitrarily removes driver input at the most vital point and it - rather than me - seems to decide the direction of travel. Driver control is delegated elsewhere and the car instantaneously begins switching the direction of travel from one side to the other.

On further investigation, this is commonly referred to as 'veering steering' and is causing major concern among RS owners.

In short, the car decides where it wants to go and not where I intend it to be. The steering seems to overrule my instructions. That, in turn, has forced me to make wholly unnecessary adjustments during routine overtaking manoeuvres or under acceleration.

On more than one occasion I thought my car was going to go off the road or collide with another vehicle.

After speaking to many fellow RS owners and viewing numerous forums at home and overseas, it is clear that this 'veering steering' is a very common occurrence.

Many have already taken their vehicles back to dealerships and reported that technicians all over the country are extremely familiar with the symptoms.

However, there is no sign of any official acknowledgement by Ford UK, even though each time a vehicle undergoes this sort of diagnostic analysis, the results will be communicated and logged centrally. Indeed, the feedback I have received is that it is being dismissed as one or two isolated examples.

I can assure you it is not. I am therefore asking you to investigate the problem at a higher level, instead of trying to diffuse it sporadically around your dealer network.

Put very simply, it is akin to driving on ice or through a water trap, giving me no confidence in the car whatsoever due to its unpredictability and instability.

It seems that Ford are refusing - in public at least - to acknowledge the problem and provide a solution. There is no doubt that one is very urgently needed.

This is a fundamental flaw that is in urgent need of identification and elimination before it results in a serious accident or fatality. It really is the most alarming, irrational sensation and one which makes me acutely nervous behind the wheel.

I await your response with great interest.

Kind regards

(insert your name and contact details)
Nope, my car doesn't have this issue.....Owned for nearly two years!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think most people including me just gave up, what with the head gasket problems and been told by the lucky people that have never experienced the problem that it's a bit of torque steer I just couldn't be bothered to keep talking about it.

I will say that you do come to expect it to happen and so are ready to try and keep control, so for me I don't see it as dangerous just a bit **** and strange. It also makes me feel like bit of a tit as I'm sure people must think I'm swerving around purposefully when overtaking.

·
Registered
333 Posts
:facepalm: I give up. For the last time, lets get this clear,this is NOT about a bit of fun torque steer or a little 'tug' or tramlining, it is purely the car doing a good impression of taking part in a slalom course all by its own with the steering wheel oscillating left/right/lef/right uncontrollably by its OWN when on full throttle towards top of third gear on a slightly cambered/crown in road surface( and if you manage to stay in it, also in 4th gear) It is NOT a bit of character or because the car has 345bhp, it is not down to driving style or lack of skill or due to what car you were once used to in the past. It is a serious issue for the folk that have experienced it and that it has almost had them off the road or veer in to the vehicle they are overtaking or just overtaken. If you drive like miss daisy or your car is a garage queen and you think giving it a quick squirt and it doesnt happen means you are in a position to dismiss this issue as a joke then you are wrong.
Everything you said, I have never owned a car that has done this ever. I think it's the torque vectoring messing up. And it is scary when it feels like you car is throwing itself around. Mines lowered now and still does it on odd occasions and if anything expect it to happen.so now brace myself more on acceleration. I am tuned and I can't fight ford about it.prob blame the tune. But it did it in standard form too. One of the many things that let the car down.

1 - 20 of 654 Posts