Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem that dealers in the US have decided to charge between 5-10K ADM (additional dealer markup) on the RS, mine included. Those with deep pockets would seem to be willing to pay.

As for me, dreams dashed as with ADM it's out of range for me. Looks like I'll be waiting until the numbers work for me to own one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It would seem that dealers in the US have decided to charge between 5-10K ADM (additional dealer markup) on the RS, mine included. Those with deep pockets would seem to be willing to pay.

As for me, dreams dashed as with ADM it's out of range for me. Looks like I'll be waiting until the numbers work for me to own one.
That's a shame mate.
I know dealers have to make money to survive but can't stand those who gouge.

Off-topic; read a story about someone here in Perth paying 15K over RRP for the new Mustang which is still 12+ months away

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there not some dealerships who will undercut others to get the business? I'm not sure how it works there?
Hearing a report that dealers in one state have conference called and agreed ADM of 10 and all are demanding it. I don't know if its true or legal but I'm not going to pay any ADM.

I believe there are very strict laws around importing cars in to the US which make it both very difficult and costly.
Can't import one. If we could, there would be a lot of us driving the last gen RS.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Gutted for you mate. That's a shame.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Its roughly the same as we pay in the UK, only difference here is that its the tax man who rips us off.

From Ford US website with roughly same options as my spec which is costing me £32,295:

$35,730 Base MSRPS
$3,480 Total of Options
$875 Destination Charges
$40,085 Total MSRPS

$40,085 Net Price

Dealer mark-up $10,000

Total $50,000 = £32,828.00

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well Ford are importing MK3's in big numbers from Germany so it can't be that difficult, or is the spec very different.
Different regulations that need to be met in the US which is why the RS will be slightly different for the US market. And a manufacturer building cars abroad to sell in the US market is a completely different scenario to an individual importing an EU spec car.

Some info in here http://www.examiner.com/article/considering-importing-a-car-into-the-u-s-you-may-want-to-read-this-first

Ken Block has/had a Mk2 RS in the US.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was contacted by the dealer today and they have agreed to sell me the one car they will receive at MSRP / sticker. I've not heard of anyone doing any better than that. BTW we pay 8% sales take on the sale so at 41K that means I'll pay 3280 US dollars plus registration so out the door it will be 45K.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I think there would be a riot in the UK if dealers tried to add a surcharge to their orders. It does happen, its all about supply and demand and wanting to be the first to own a particular car. Never had a problem with the MK2 and I was the first in Cornwall to own one, and at the original price of just under 25k.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Well Ford are importing MK3's in big numbers from Germany so it can't be that difficult, or is the spec very different.
I wonder if you can order a Federal spec RS outside of the USA or Canada though? Possible to supply any spec anywhere but would Ford actually do it, what agreements are in place with the franchises re sole suppliers in a region?

Reminds me of the EU v UK battles in the 80s / 90s but that had the added complexity of the EU putting their finger in re competition law, no such uber legal body interfering with the US.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I think there would be a riot in the UK if dealers tried to add a surcharge to their orders. It does happen, its all about supply and demand and wanting to be the first to own a particular car. Never had a problem with the MK2 and I was the first in Cornwall to own one, and at the original price of just under 25k.
The dealership where I purchased my RS500 did have their own preparation charge in addition to the Ford on the road RRP, a not insignificant sum, but when I pointed out that the Ford brochure states on the road and I felt the sticker price was quite enough for a Ford Focus for which I wasn't receiving a discount they dropped it from the invoice. It's hard to see what else it is other than a mark up, the brochure already states tax, plates etc in the on the road price so it must be a very expensive tank of petrol or they have a celebrity doing the car wash so "preparation charge" just does not hold water. Annoys me to this day that they try that stunt.

Edit: From memory it was a percentage hence looked bad on the RS500, and I bet they play games with the bread and butter sales, give somebody a good discount or trade in on a new Fiesta and clawing back a percentage as preparation charge probably gets lost in the numbers. Grrr....

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hearing a report that dealers in one state have conference called and agreed ADM of 10 and all are demanding it. I don't know if its true or legal but I'm not going to pay any ADM.
I would have thought if the dealers are independant (i.e. not actually owned by Ford) then this would amount to collusion and AFAIK in the US is extremely illegal...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.