Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the good weather is here. I think I'd like to clean up some of the under chassis and parts. When its come to paint, do people hand brush it or spray paint the subframes, axles etc?
Also I have a miltek, with twin box, would you take it off to polish it up or leave it in situ?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
ive done a few es cos restos in the past and everything needs to come off and be powdercoated/rezinced or renewed to get the best results,if your going to that trouble then you may as well go the full monty on it,that looks great stew,have you still got the es cos?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet there is some effort to remove all the parts, sandblast, paint and reassemble.
I've been under mine all day with the drill and brass wire brush. Back to it tomorrow, see if I can make some more head way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

So that's today's work for me. I had a slight oil leak, which I hoping I've resolved by re aligning the dipstick O ring and sealed with RTV. Cleaned alot of the old oil and grime from the sump and surrounding areas. Cleaned the sump, gearbox and crossmembers with a copper wire brush on the drill.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automotive tire Tire Plant Tree Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Green Tread

Day two. Can actually see green on the floor again. A citrus hand scrub and jet wash. Started to clean up the stainless miltek, the gearbox casing and sump. Tomorrow I'll start the back end with clean up with copper wire brush.
I'll then treat all the metal components with rust converter then paint them up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blimey, that’s some surface rust there, quite disappointing as the major components could the painted to prevent this from day one.
That's my intention now to use rust converter to prevent and supposedly reverse the rust process. I'll then paint it with hammerite under body seal which has waxoyl. That should help to protect it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts