Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
RS mk3, Mondeo est Titanium, Mk1 Fiesta Bravo, Skoda Fabia vRS
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before purchasing mine back in Feb., I of course read and watched all the reviews, and invariably the comments were on just how harsh the ride is....well yes, it's a performance car, which granted, most of them admitted to that fact, but REALLY, is it that bad, 'cus I don't think so....unless you stick it in 'race mode' to save your dentist from drilling out a dodgy filling perhaps?
Firm, as wanted and expected, but harsh, well not IMO, and I'm an owld git too!

·
Premium Member
Mk3 RS FPM375
422 Posts
I think a lot depends on what you've come from / been used to, and to some extent the state of the roads.

I don't think the damping is great TBH.

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
Before purchasing mine back in Feb., I of course read and watched all the reviews, and invariably the comments were on just how harsh the ride is....well yes, it's a performance car, which granted, most of them admitted to that fact, but REALLY, is it that bad, 'cus I don't think so....unless you stick it in 'race mode' to save your dentist from drilling out a dodgy filling perhaps?
It is firm and it's a bit **** for commuting as I'd look at my lift share bobbing about in his seat when we're on a pretty smooth expressway - the tyres are a big part of it as it felt softened off when I switched to PS4s

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
The only time I would say the ride feels harsh is as i first set off on a cold day, but once the tyres and dampers get warmed up, it's just fine, even with the suspension in Sport.
I can drive my wife's Ka along the exact same roads and I swear you'd feel it if you drove over a single strand of hair.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
To be fair our roads are so shot almost any car is going to be unsettled, so having stiffer suspension just accentuates an existing problem.
In addition I find myself weaving around on the road trying to minimise the shocks from dropped manhole covers, botched road repairs and raised drains and that's before I encounter any kind of "calming measure" AKA a sleeping policeman!!!!
Anyone following me must think I'm ****** out of my skull.

So bad has it become that I now try to drive in the middle of the road whenever there is no on-coming traffic.

·
Registered
RS mk3, Mondeo est Titanium, Mk1 Fiesta Bravo, Skoda Fabia vRS
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points, well made. The roads are an absolute disgrace, and have been for years. Better in some 3rd world countries, and many Forestry Commision tracks are vastly superior too

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
It also depends a little on when your example was built, Ford changed spring / damper rates for UK models later in the production run IIRC.
I believe that was in line with when the Editions were introduced, so late 2017 onwards. If that is correct, mine was built July 2017 and I have no qualms about the ride. Infact ride quality is only slightly harder than the 2013 Focus ST I had before the RS and that was on 18" rims.
As for speed bumps, I drive over one everyday, I just drive over it at 30mph, no dramas, infact it infuriates me when I am behind other motorists in cars with much softer suspension and 50 series plus tyres, who insist on slowing right down to drive over them.
The only speed bumps I slow right down for are the rubber/plastic ones which generally are in car parks where you're going to be driving much slower anyway.
There is a 40mph road near me where patches of very thin rumble strips have been added as a calming measure, but I have found it more comfortable to continue over the strips at 40mph, its much more comfortable, rather than slow to 30mph as some do and then you feel each and every strip.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
To be fair our roads are so shot almost any car is going to be unsettled, so having stiffer suspension just accentuates an existing problem.
In addition I find myself weaving around on the road trying to minimise the shocks from dropped manhole covers, botched road repairs and raised drains and that's before I encounter any kind of

"calming measure" AKA a sleeping policeman!!!!

Anyone following me must think I'm ** out of my skull.

So bad has it become that I now try to drive in the middle of the road whenever there is no on-coming traffic.
Suddenly realised they're not called "calming measures" or "sleeping policemen" any more. It seems that they are now to be called "Goves"!!
As in "I've just run over a Gove" - must stop this wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just bought an RS Mk3, had an ST Mk3 before. I was really worried about the harshness of the ride but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. It's not exactly gentle but my spine is still intact!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love the fact the ride is hard and you feel every bump in the road, it gives you the performance and sporty feel to the car. My dad had a deposit on a mk3 before they were released he got a chance to drive the demo car that was going from dealer to dealer and absolutely hated the ride. He did his best to convince me not to buy a mk3 last year because of this. I’m so glad I didn’t listen other wise I probably would have bought a boring golf r 🤦‍♂️

1 - 13 of 13 Posts