Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every month it seems the RS needs something!

So tyres.. I use SuperSports but Contact 5s seem to be thrashing them in recent tests.
Anyone got experience of the 5s?

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
I found the Conti 5 tyres were ok for most of their useful lives however when nearing the last few mm of tread they seemed to 'go off' quite quickly and were not so good. I made the switch to MPSS and found them to be better all round, however it may sound funny but I prefer the look of the Contis as the MPSS tyres have a squarer shoulder, which i'm not really a fan of... :whistle: However for performance, they are better than the Contis imo :nice:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Would you be able to compare Michelin Pilot Super Sports with Goodyear F1 asymeyric 2 ? I will be buing soon 265/35/18 tyres and would like to know which one of them is better in terms of performance and fit on Compomotives ?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Evo put the contis way ahead of pss.

Now I'm Mr375 i am burning rubber occasionally without going forward but the tyres are nearing the end of useful life. As I said PSS for me up until now but Evo had them well down the pecking order.
According to Evo:

1. Conti 5
2. Yoko v105
3. Pirelli P zero
4. Goodyear f1
5. Verdestein vorti
6. Dunlop Sport Maxx
7. Hankook evo2
8.Michelin PS3
9.Bridgestone Potenza Re002
10. Toyo T1 sport
Tested on a Golf GTi on track, road, wet, dry, straight and bends considered braking, rolling resistance, handling....

PS3 doh! I missed that. Not SS at all....

·
Premium Member
23,437 Posts
Same for me. First used these on my ST and have now had a set on my RS. Excellent all round tyres and great in the dry.
Yep, i've always run on Goodyears for over 20 years on various cars,goes back to when i used to be a tyre fitter, personally would never fit Michelins, not that they aren't a good tyre, but due to issues we used to have with them back in the day & the company themselves.

The Goodyears have a far better rim protector too. :nice:

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Well spotted! Thank goodness for that. As you were stand down chaps. PSS it is!
Haha! I was about to say, Evo may well say that but their opinion in no way matches my experience of these tyres... ;) And it sounds like there may well be a big difference between MPSS and the ones they reviewed.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Every month it seems the RS needs something!

So tyres.. I use SuperSports but Contact 5s seem to be thrashing them in recent tests.
Anyone got experience of the 5s?
You got a link to these tests? Everyone I've seen its only track focussed tyres that beat the super sports so interesting to see a change in out look

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You got a link to these tests? Everyone I've seen its only track focussed tyres that beat the super sports so interesting to see a change in out look
See my earlier posts. It was not SuperSports in the end so all is well...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yep, i've always run on Goodyears for over 20 years on various cars,goes back to when i used to be a tyre fitter, personally would never fit Michelins, not that they aren't a good tyre, but due to issues we used to have with them back in the day & the company themselves.

The Goodyears have a far better rim protector too. :nice:
I have noticed the rim protector being better than most others.

I had some big issues with Michelins on my ST when i fitted 2 on there for a try. One got a puncture and a second replacement ended up with a bubble on the sidewall. So ended up having to buy 4 tyres for the 2 front wheels in about 3 months. Not ****ing impressed I must admit. Never used Michelins since.

Continentals were decent but seemed to wear fast. The Goodyears are good all round and the wear seems pretty good, at least compared to the Conti`s.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
How strange Evo did not test the SS.

I had the tyre chat in the local tyre centre recently, the guy's only issue with Michelin, not necessarily directed at the SS, was that they tend to get wall cracking issues he claimed. Could of course be the case of generic Michelin on an old lady's Renault that she's had for years and never drives of course!

I wonder what the Conti 6 (the new Civic Type-R tyre) is like, assuming you can get it in the appropriate size and rating?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The PSS is actually a fairly old tyre compared to some that EVO have tested and they IIRC have not tested that kind of very high performance, dry/ track stuff before.

As we who use them know, they are very good in the wet as well, even when fairly worn.

There are more track biased ones out there but would be no good as a daily use tyre.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.