Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right folks my car is so low and the suspension is hard I burst my tyre at the weekend so much so it doesn't hold any air, so I think am just going to get 2 new front tyres I am wanting the pilot super sports I have noticed many of you speaking about putting on 245 Tyers on and the standard fit are 235/35/19 if I remember correctly I just want to ask why is every 1 putting on a 245 and not a 235 secondly where's the cheepest I can get Amazon have the 235/35/19 for 130 per tyre with free postage any 1 know of any better deals??

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
I put 245's on my std rims as they gave extra width and protection to the wheels plus I wanted to fit Ultra's which are 9" and 245's are the recommended size. Bought mine from Camskill.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
245 is more surface area so technically you should get better grip, If your car is standard i would just stick to 235, you will barely notice a difference anyway.

Tyreleader seems to be the cheapest at the minute for a lot of people.

Also dont rule out Eagle F1's, also a very good tyre and a bit cheaper than the PSS's

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
More grip has a down fall though. More friction area surface which means higher fuel consumption. But hey who cares lol.

·
Premium Member
23,424 Posts
It will also give you an extra 7mm of tyre height in total, 3.5mm sidewall all the way round
Just about to say, it will be a taller tyre, hence affecting the gearing & speedo will be out (albeit by a small margin) plus dont forget to tell your insurance. :yep:

Personally, i'd stick to the recommended size, as this is what Ford tested & set up the handling to. :wink:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Just about to say, it will be a taller tyre, hence affecting the gearing & speedo will be out (albeit by a small margin) plus dont forget to tell your insurance. :yep:

Personally, i'd stick to the recommended size, as this is what Ford tested & set up the handling to. :wink:
Agreed, gearing, speedo and handling will be affected as it is effectively altering the geometry. it will also increase tyre wear as the contact patch on the road will be different and sit at a slightly different angle. Usually you will see increased tyre wear on the inside edges of the tyre.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
I assume that as the tyre is larger then the speedo will show a slightly higher speed as it travels further for each revolution. Never had any tyre wear problem's with 245's but then I am running Ultra's so wider and I believe with a built in spacer and of course they were made specifically for the RS. Yep always tell your insurance company if you change tyre size.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Tyres are needed, hell I know what you're thinking but that's my view and I'm sticking to it. And black ones are best...round if possible but a bit flat at the bottom is okay...

·
Registered
561 Posts

How come tell insurance about different tyres? Never heard of anyone doing that before or am I reading this completely wrong? :blink:

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Ive got 245s on the fronts, they do offer much better protection to the rim. Tbh if youre worried about fuel consumption to such a small amount (cant affect it by more than a couple mpg max) then sell the RS & buy a diesel :nice: . Cant say ive felt any other difference other than maybe a tad more tyre noise.

·
Premium Member
23,424 Posts
How come tell insurance about different tyres? Never heard of anyone doing that before or am I reading this completely wrong?
Because if you have an accident with incorrect sized (& thats what they are) tyres, they can blame those for the accident or just void the insurance as they weren't told about them, same could be said if you haven't told them about wheel colour change or any change to the car at all!

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Imo having slightly larger tyres would not give an insurer any right to deny a claim. If the car has been deemed road worthy (mot'd) then how can they blame the tyres? Obviously it will be down to the t&c's of your policy, as we know insurers are there solely to make as much £ as possible. Moral is, always read the Ts&Cs.

·
Premium Member
23,424 Posts
Imo having slightly larger tyres would not give an insurer any right to deny a claim. If the car has been deemed road worthy (mot'd) then how can they blame the tyres? Obviously it will be down to the t&c's of your policy, as we know insurers are there solely to make as much £ as possible. Moral is, always read the Ts&Cs.
Exactly mate, insurance companies as we all know, will do anything to get out of a claim. :yep:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Because if you have an accident with incorrect sized (& thats what they are) tyres, they can blame those for the accident or just void the insurance as they weren't told about them, same could be said if you haven't told them about wheel colour change or any change to the car at all!
Ah okay fair enough.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What happens if you buy a second hand car with lowering springs, spacers, wider tyres etc etc and you don't know anything about cars, how can the insurance company hold you responsible, it was bought as seen
I know someone who recently bought an RS and they had no clue it had a 3" milltek down pipe, everything else was standard

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
What happens if you buy a second hand car with lowering springs, spacers, wider tyres etc etc and you don't know anything about cars, how can the insurance company hold you responsible, it was bought as seen
I know someone who recently bought an RS and they had no clue it had a 3" milltek down pipe, everything else was standard
Insurance is a contract of upmost faith. The insurer bases their contract on your information, so your information should be to the very best of your knowledge. To what degree an owner of a used vehicle should make enquiries to any modifications made to the vehicle is one of those grey areas.

·
Premium Member
23,424 Posts
As Rich says, but yes, you are right, i have bought up the subject myself before. :yep:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts