Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother bought a new caravan the other day and this is what his car / caravan looks like

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

i know it is perfectly safe & legal but it just looks like the car is too small for the caravan.

anyone else tow a caravan (obviously not with their rs).

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your log book tells you the maximum permissible towing weight. And the weight of caravan should be on van or in instruction or also available on line.

I tow a large van myself.

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem, is that a C class estate? If it is that cars towing weight is 1800kg and the gross weight of the sprite alpine 4 is only 1250kg

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
294 Posts
Then the size difference won't matter it's all down to weight ratio. Remember to take in to account extras you put in to the caravan.

Paul

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Tell your Brother to get a bigger car cause it don't look right to you. :rofl:

As others have said it is weight ratio that is the towing factor and the lightweight materials in caravans today are far better than 50 years ago.

However I would also add that whilst the towing ratio is one thing there is also the wind resistance or cross winds factor to think off and as caravans get lighter they also get bigger and have the cross wind issues to contend with when towing. not something many would think of but simple logic tells you at some point one needs to consider it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The worse thing is us younger one's now need to do a towing test! Was going to take my dad's range rover and caravan away until I realised I wasn't allowed to lol

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
The worse thing is us younger one's now need to do a towing test! Was going to take my dad's range rover and caravan away until I realised I wasn't allowed to lol
I think its a good thing the amount of cars towing caravans that i see at the side of the motorway in the summer months where they have lost control due to speed more than likely is unreal some don't even know they shouldn't use the 3rd lane :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I could be wrong but on a standard car license aren't you only aloud to tow something up to 750kg. Any more then that then you need to apply for the license and sit the appropriate test

1 - 20 of 37 Posts