Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
@garyb @Shaady @philjs @Tezza @RSNUT

Update (27-Feb-2016): 2016 NX map disk now includes TMC again http://www.focusrsoc.com/forums/topic/216777-2016-nx-satnav-map-update-including-tmc-for-uk/

Original post:
I was looking at the TomTom forum the other day and saw a link to the buy online Nav disks.

However with there not being any TMC cover on DVDs since 2013 disk I decided to send their customer services an email asking why, below is the answer I received, lower down is my original email.

In view of the reply, if I was to do a lot of travel in Europe, I would opt for having two Map disks.
My 2012 for the UK and whatever the latest year is (until they cease in other EU countries) for any European travel and switch them over on the Eurotunnel en-route.

Wikipedia info re TMC https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel
This appears to be the parent company handling TMC traffic mgmt announcements in UK now http://inrix.com as confirmed here http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=6847953

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx,

TMC is no longer available for the UK, due to the fact that TMC in the UK is a commercial version (Pay TMC), the duties for TMC to be paid would be too high.

This decision was made following consultations between TomTom (Tele Atlas) and Ford.

Best regards, Gerard van der Heijden

My original email.

to: [email protected]
Subject: TeleAtlas maps by TomTom DVD Ford NX Europe 2015

Dear sirs
I have a 2012 map in my 2009 Ford Focus.

I am looking to buy a 2015 map, however I have been advised that the TMC traffic announcements are not enabled for the UK after 2013 maps, yet these are available for other countries as listed on your website (AT, BE, CH, CZ, DE, DK, Fr, IT, NL, NO, ES, SE).

Please could you advise:
1) why TMC is no longer available for the UK?
2) who decided to limit this feature in UK - TomTom, TeleAtlas, Ford?

Regards
David xxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Nice one Dave.

Is he basically saying that we were getting a paid service for nothing before?

Is it the 2013 disc that's the last one with traffic?

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Nice one Dave.

Is he basically saying that we were getting a paid service for nothing before?

Is it the 2013 disc that's the last one with traffic?
Shady,
the way I have interpreted this is that the TMC paid service is paid for by the motor companies as a service for their customers.

It would be interesting to know if the same model of Nav system in other manufacturers vehicles still has TMC or not.
If YES then it the manufacturer who has stopped paying for the service for older models of Nav unit.
If NO then it is the TMC service provider who has stopped the service for all older Nav models.

Another interesting dilemma for all Ford NX Nav unit users, not just us RS owners.

As for last disk to have TMC I think it is the 2013 one that is the last to have TMC see other thread, end of post 1. http://www.focusrsoc.com/forums/topic/22199-bluetooth-streaming-update-v53-software-lux-2-only/#entry344054

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Still on my 2009 disc! :thumbsup:
cheapskate :bleh:

to be fair Gareth I don't travel to enough places I don't know where i would need to update annually, but an occasional update like i did in 2012 is nice to have and TMC is really good when in an unknown area and wanting to miss traffic congestion.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Thanks Dave, fascinating.

Seems like the best bet would be a head unit with integration with smart phones, AirPlay etc, drop integrated sat nav hardware and related data and software licenses, and either use Waze (appears better than TMC based upon comparison usage on a limited number of occasions so far) or run TomTom or similar apps which can more readily be updated including support for traffic avoidance (not necessarily TMC).

Any chance Sync3 supports integration with iOS, Android, etc displays, and, that we dan definitely have it in our new mk3 RSs please rather than something where we have to take a time limited integrated sat av solution? Sounds like integrated sat nav should become a thing if the past, external platforms provide for better choices and upgrade solutions.

Playing Devil's advocate here, NX, etc were sold as including TMC functionality, I wonder what the position is re miss selling if it is subsequently revoked? Presumably some small print somewhere that paraphrasing basically says hard cheese if advertised functionality changes. ;)

Edit: Sounds like we need Sync 3 in UK spec mk3 RSs please Ford! http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/14/ford-sync-3-applink-3.0-navigation/

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I just bought a TomTom 510, for £130 plus £30 cashback. This has lifetime free updates for maps, traffic and speed cameras - worldwide. The 5100 is the same, but with built-in sim card for data - also free, but the unit is some £100 more. Probably only worth it if you do a lot of overseas mileage.

Even if you have Lux2 (I don't), it's probably cheaper to get a standalone unit...

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance Sync3 supports integration with iOS, Android, etc displays, and, that we dan definitely have it in our new mk3 RSs please rather than something where we have to take a time limited integrated sat av solution? Sounds like integrated sat nav should become a thing if the past, external platforms provide for better choices and upgrade solutions.

Playing Devil's advocate here, NX, etc were sold as including TMC functionality, I wonder what the position is re miss selling if it is subsequently revoked? Presumably some small print somewhere that paraphrasing basically says hard cheese if advertised functionality changes. ;)

Edit: Sounds like we need Sync 3 in UK spec mk3 RSs please Ford! http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/14/ford-sync-3-applink-3.0-navigation/
On your first point, only a few more days to find out what the options are in Mk3 RS :lol:

as for the second point, yes I wondered that too. I dare say there is something in the small print.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
On your first point, only a few more days to find out what the options are in Mk3 RS :lol:

as for the second point, yes I wondered that too. I dare say there is something in the small print.
I did some more digging last night, Sync 3 is actually a bit ahead of some other manufacturers in this respect, we are also looking at a Mini for Rosie next year (needs rear seats now for the kids) and none of the connect type options support third party sat nav display you have to use their built in option (or your own standalone hardware) however the Ford info does read as if Sync 3 has full support for third party sat nav. Need to find the user manual PDF from Ford US.

I wonder if the Sync 2 v Sync 3 difference between US and UK/EU could be that the software currently is developed around the US market, i.e. satellite radio support and hence needs reworking for other markets?

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
There is also the matter of good will, it would be all very well saying "well we did tell you so" (re small print) but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you purchased specific functionality at worst you expect it to fail (and then optionally decide to repair it), not have somebody selectively decide to turn it off for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts