Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well I must say I'm rather shocked, I'm in the motor trade myself but when I emailed jamsport to book my car in for a full suspension setup and there 400 map, reply I got was, we need a deposit, now to me this is not how a garage operates, I certainly don't. I would never ask a customer for a deposit, and to be fair I was undersided between revo and js400 anyway, now going revo 4+

·
Registered
142 Posts
So if they get any parts needed and booked you in a time slot , they get something if you don't turn up , might have been caught out to many times so they end up with earning no money ,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately yes, it happens all the time. It's called trust, a bit like taking ungarunteed cheques it's about trust, but maybe we do this wrong and we should be asking for a deposit, I've only been doing it 20 yrs

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I run a business too, id never ask either, BUT, ive also been shafted a few times when people leave me in the lurch after going out of my way, so I get it.. Surely if your committed, does it matter?.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Mountune also ask for a deposit for the MR420. It's normal for more expensive upgrades. Nothing to be disappointed about really.

·
Registered
360 Posts
But a 4 wheel alignment setup, and a map file don't cost Anything
It's only workshop time, but as said I must be doing it wrong, and I appreciate that some may ask for a deposit for larger items, again it's something I don't do hence why I'm shocked to be honest

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yes it's opportunity cost. They book you in and lose someone else if you don't turn up. If it's their policy then you've got a choice to make I suppose. Cash is king, go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I do see your point. Mountune don't ask for deposits for small jobs. If they did I probably wouldn't like it either, but I'd understand why and make my decision regardless.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I've just secured a large job in Belfast , and I'm using a sub contractor to do the work, he's asked for 25% upfront , now , I see where he's coming from as we've never worked together before , for him it's a risk to order all the equipment and then for me to pull the plug, on the other hand he's got 25% of my money , but in this case I need him to do the contract so the trust is coming from me as I'm willing to pay the up front costs , any new customer of mine has to pay some upfront costs on a first order , then any other works on account , I know the guys at jamsport, have done for years , and I would still have to pay some upfront cash,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally see what people are saying, and Lisa I'm sure the job you've secured and subcontracted will be in terms of thousands of pounds, hence the 25% upfront to cover equipment costs. But we are talking about very small amounts in comparison

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I totally see what people are saying, and Lisa I'm sure the job you've secured and subcontracted will be in terms of thousands of pounds, hence the 25% upfront to cover equipment costs. But we are talking about very small amounts in comparison
it's all relative, i expect jamsport have been stung before and have just made a rule that a bit up front is a way of making a commitment imagine how many wasters they get calling them, booking jobs in and not showing changing minds and letting them down, if it's js that you really want then parting with a bit up front shouldn't be a problem , sadly the days of gentlemens agreements have long gone, good luck with what you decide :0)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Unfortunately I won't be using jamsport, I'll spend my money with someone else

I also get that my business is different to there's, I don't get dreamers as you say ringing me and booking things in, but unfortunately I expect to be treated as I would treat others and there for I'll spend money with someone that offers that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts