Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been a long term windows user but now i have felt for a change, I mainly went for desktop but with room around my home getting a premium a laptop was needed. i needed performance ( yes i am a power pc junkie :lol: ) and macbook kept coming up so i purchased a macbook pro with all the bells and whistles. With this new move can anyone offer some advice/tips for a happy experience?

also i can see a lot of accessories for mac and would love any feedback on them if anyone has purchased them.

thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If you're into video editing I recommend Final Cut Pro X

It's excellent, esp if you have a GoPro
And good choice by the way ... :yep:

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i am trying to move photos but my mac does seem to like jpeg files, is there a reason why?

·
Premium Member
2010 Focus RS
519 Posts
Daryl I changed to MacBook Pro last year from Windows beforehand it will take some getting used to but you won't look back.

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also i am due a phone upgrade shortly, how does a iPhone work with a macbook?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I have had my Mac Book 5 years it has never missed a beat never had the blue screen of death like you get with windows I run Microsoft office for mac and also am able to run xp for some of the software i use that is not available for the mac. My son is on his 3rd Mac book and he will never buy another PC. WINDOWS 10 IS SKYNET.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i use both personally each have there own uses i use the mac for media thign such as pictures and editing and the pc for every day stuff such as browsing the net etc.

I have final cut pro on my macbook pro there are other ways of getting it without paying via torrents but only if your comfortable doing that.

a little app i like to use however i cant remember if you have to pay (but again other ways of getting it) is a app called Boom, i find the speakers to be kinda quiet on the mac so this raises the volume to make it sound a lot better.

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have spend the weekend learning it and once you know the shortcuts its a nice experience. I still need to work out how to put subfolders in the pictures....
ie.... i have a my rs folder and in that it has folders of each mod I have done

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have spend the weekend learning it and once you know the shortcuts its a nice experience. I still need to work out how to put subfolders in the pictures....
ie.... i have a my rs folder and in that it has folders of each mod I have done
do you mean just make a folder inside a folder? is thats the case all u do is cntrl click> new folder.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I've got to say I'll never go back to a PC either. For me they're absolute :censored:.
A bit of a sweeping statement to say the least. For the same money you would have a better specced, more powerful and more easily upgraded PC running Windows, or a version of Linux.

You could of course buy components and build your own, then have both complete control of the PC and full capability to maintain it. A friend of mine's brother in law had a Mac which went wrong. He took it to a Mac Shop where he was told the cost to repair was greater than the cost of a new one - guess what - he bought a neew Mac. My friend took the Mac away and replaced the HD. Bingo problem sorted and for the price of a new HD - max £70 ish.

Don't talk to me about Apple products, all design and show with a correspondingly high price tag. What's more they have customers queueing to buy. You've got to hand it to their marketing department.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Cold Fusion, on 12 Oct 2015 - 08:39, said:

I have had my Mac Book 5 years it has never missed a beat never had the blue screen of death like you get with windows I run Microsoft office for mac and also am able to run xp for some of the software i use that is not available for the mac. My son is on his 3rd Mac book and he will never buy another PC. WINDOWS 10 IS SKYNET.
Ouch, really PC bashing is not required, I've not seen a BSOD for years on my PC. And my Apple of course 'never' stops working, nor collects 'any' data either, giving me complete and utter freedom, and totally immune to virus.

The PC and Mac are both different ways to tackle the same problem, both have advantages and disadvantages, that suits some and not others. For me, I would love to see something middle of the road, the best parts of both worlds.

Daryl - enjoy the Mac, it is a seriously good piece of kit, will take a bit of learning to understand iOS after being a Winx user for many years. It all will make sense after a while. Something's you will no doubt love, some things you may miss. All good fun in the end :nice:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
A bit of a sweeping statement to say the least. For the same money you would have a better specced, more powerful and more easily upgraded PC running Windows, or a version of Linux.

You could of course buy components and build your own, then have both complete control of the PC and full capability to maintain it. A friend of mine's brother in law had a Mac which went wrong. He took it to a Mac Shop where he was told the cost to repair was greater than the cost of a new one - guess what - he bought a neew Mac. My friend took the Mac away and replaced the HD. Bingo problem sorted and for the price of a new HD - max £70 ish.

Don't talk to me about Apple products, all design and show with a correspondingly high price tag. What's more they have customers queueing to buy. You've got to hand it to their marketing department.
So here's my extensive experience with PCs:

- "unexpected error occurred" - after you've watched the progress bar for ages and ages perform a task you were hoping would work. In other words "no idea what the **** happened either but I'm shutting this thing down, so go **** yourself and start again"

- booting up takes an eternity

- shutting down takes an eternity

- all of a sudden whilst you're working on a document Windows update starts and you think holy cow I'm going to lose all my work because I didn't hit save for the 100th time. And yes, you've lost it.

- you can't run multiple programmes at once unless of course you've invested heavily in memory and a processor and even then it's destined to go wrong

- most programmers, photographers, video editors use macs

- use a PC for a year and it bogs down like a *****. Defragment the hard drives, again and again

- software conflicts; Apple build an operating system with the software, it works.

- on the whole they don't suffer from viruses as much. I've had my Mac 5 years and it runs at 80% of the speed it did 5 years ago and has never had a virus. Ever.

Now Apple. Yes aesthetically pleasing. But I couldn't care less about that. They work. For an ordinary consumer who wants a computer to just do its thing it doesn't miss a beat. They're reliability ratings on Which are the best in the industry.

What I don't like. You have a problem, you can't complain to anyone - I am sure there is not even a dedicated complaints team, I asked. I had an issue with my iPhone 5s a month ago and it took a month to resolve it. The people on the phone couldn't care less. Visit a Genius Bar they say. Ok what in 2 weeks? There are no appointments. And calling it Genius Bar is a bit arrogant. The people there are hardly related to Einstein. I got my phone replaced for an iPhone 6 with a big headache.

But I don't expect that Currys, Dixons, PC World or other retailers are any different if I bought a PC. So I stick with Apple and buy from Costco or John Lewis so if something goes wrong it'll get sorted quicker now.

Apple are expensive but I think of it like this. My blood pressure doesn't get affected. So it's worth the cost. And they're desk top screens are amazing. If you have an iPhone and iPad they sync perfectly. No device couldn't be found garbage. No trying to fix little niggles like the wireless printer can't be found.

I hated PCs and will never go back. Unless you're tech savvy they simply aren't worth the time. And why invest the time trying to load and reload programmes that get glitches anyway.

Sorry just the way I have experienced them. And I know what I'm doing with computers, for the most part.

Apple are by far perfect but for simple me they work pretty damn good.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Had a feeling this thread would start a debate even though that was obviously not what Daryl intended.

Booting up and shutting down Windows does not take an eternity, with Windows 10 and an SSD I can be using my PC in 10-15 seconds which I don't think is too bad.

You can change all the update settings, it won't reboot without you telling it to anymore, though I agree that the way Microsoft deal with updates is poor and needs to be changed.

Would you buy a MAC with 4GB or less of RAM, (do they even sell them with less than that?) probably not, same case with PC's, the more you have the better of course but 4GB is enough for day to day tasks.

And my current windows install has been running for around 3 years now and still runs great, didnt even wipe it for the upgrade to 10 and its still very quick. Defragging a hard drive again and again is one of the worst things you can do too!

Any computer connected to the internet is open to getting a virus too, if you have never had one you haven't been going to dodgy enough websites :wink:

Don't get me wrong I had a Macbook for years and loved it, when I sold it about 5 years later still got decent money for it too, however Windows has changed a massive amount since the days of XP and the like and is not a bad experience by any stretch any more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.