Focus RS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I've standard OEM studs and the lockers are as usual looking rusty
I tried getting the scuttle panel off but my wiper arms are stuck on!! Cannot get them off and knowing me if I keep trying I'll break something
Cleaned as much as I could reach though but to me it's far from 'clean'

I have managed to pull off the black grill andcrove it so that's had a fresh lick of smooth black hammerite. Looks mikes better but no way perfect.

Mines an everyday car though so keeping it clean is awkward. Lately I'm taking the missus to and from work and dropping the kid off at his mates for school. So it's stop start stop start all the time and now the missus mate wants taking to work and back now so it's stop start, people in and outist of everyday
Getting fed up of it all now I'm just used as a taxi

The kid has scuffed back of the passenger chair and opened the door into a wall
He's a clumsy git. Gave him a royal shouting when he did that as he has no respect for anyone else's property and only thinks of himself
If annoys me to hell.

Washing and polish today getting ready for national day
Mine were really stuck on too, maybe a squirt of WD40 will help if you want to get them off if you left it overnight? i hated taking those evil ******* metal clips off aswell :mad:

Sounds like your RS is getting a beating from everyone else :shocked: . Im lucky in a way (depending how you look at it :laughing:) i only use mine at weekends as i use a van for work during the week but id say mine was an everyday car by the previous owner until he started a family and parked it up. Theres a few marks on mine though but at least i have nobody to blame, sounds like he needs to be more careful with other peoples stuff :sad: Theres marks on the back of the seats in mine too where im guessing a small kid has rested their feet on it, drivers door has been opened against something too & there's a carpark ding right on the line of the rear wheel arch which stands out to me as i know its there :facepalm:.. i think i like that though because i dont buy a car to park it up, clean it and then park it again. if it was a garage queen before i bought it id be worried even more about taking it anywhere :laughing:

Is national day the thing at donington on sunday? its a bit of a drive for me but i was thinking of going. Not got a club pass but would be good to get to see other peoples cars. ive been to 2 meets so far and they seem like ages ago now :cry:

Is that the cobra sport (res or non res) or the venom? Is that a full exhaust or just cat-back?
Its the cobra sport, full 3" non res and de catted :nice:. I didnt want anything too loud and its perfect for what i wanted. No drone at all, sometimes its not much louder than the standard sysytem (can easily sit at 70 on the motorway and not even hear it) but when you put your foot down and want some noise it sounds mental, im surprised how many different noises come from it :laughing: it screams, pops, bangs, crackles, sometimes when it pops it sounds like a whip cracking, other times it sounds like a canon going off too. I took a b it of a risk with it as most of the videos on youtube i had watched didnt really do it justice but fter speaking to someone with it i made the decision and im really happy with it :nice:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Bit more done to it today, sorted my insurance out 1st thing this morning, sort of forgot it ran out today so been sorting that out the last couple of days aswell as getting this delivered-

A688844D-1417-432B-9186-CAEE32E65A8A.jpg

Used the RSOC discount code so thats the membership money paying itself back already :nice:

Still dirty from Beaulieu last weekend though :facepalm: Thats tomorrows job, every time ive had chance this week its been raining as ive been busy with work

D6B9B913-7663-49A4-A76B-B6ED9474ACE7.jpg

The dirt & dust has got everywhere on it :nope:

4B929457-2AA9-4241-B9AE-73DC3E9A96CF.jpg

Bit awkward getting the 2 bolts off under the throttlebody end but not as hard as i thought it would be to get the plastic 1 off

E5076B3F-FE6E-4E79-A81E-A43C9D0BF65D.jpg

looks like its got nostrils :laughing:

9B46E659-D300-4AC4-97CD-6C509B416CF9.jpg

I went for gloss black as ive seen a lot of the green plenums & wanted to be a bit different, i think it looks pretty smart so im happy with it. Put some stuff on it to hopefully protect it from any water that might get on it and stain it when it dries, can see the reflection of the trees and clouds in it :smile:

FF3B1968-D3A5-48D1-B679-3DCD71750600.jpg

I was just about to start putting things back together when i picked the throttle body up and had an idea.........

793FA93F-7E69-40FC-8641-A09E1A074EA5.jpg

No idea why but my camera/phone cant pick up on it being purple and not blue :facepalm: matches the calipers now though :laughing:

32BFAFB5-0678-4485-A6CC-9CE1FE69666C.jpg

All back together

5CA7850D-B65D-4BF6-BFF8-4584E3B068B9.jpg

BBC21FAB-B372-47B1-A641-98D2062D0E99.jpg

Im really pleased with how it looks now, after seeing pics of exploded plastic plenums & seeing the faded looking plastic 1 on my car i think this makes it look much neater and smarter :). Still got a few more things i want to do under the bonnet to get it looking better but its getting there slowly

19FFB609-7C3F-40A5-9292-15A1E7ED8555.jpg

Only thing now is i think i can hear a squeak :facepalm: When i was testing it to make sure there was no air leaks i revved it a little bit and its sort of like when the revs come back down (i think) it does a little squeak, it definately wasnt there before so must be something ive done :wassat: cant feel anything when i have my hands around the bottom of the plenum though & i checked all the gaskets stayed there when i turned it upside down as i expected them to all make a dash for the undertray :facepalm:.

My Dad did say maybe its just where more air is going in but ive checked all the hoses went back on and tightened properly, only thing i can think of is maybe the 1 on the top right of the plenum isn't in as far as it should be, i've pushed it and pushed it and it doesnt feel like it can go in any further though. The small hose on the back (has a black clip and they say put the zip tie on afterwards) looks like it may be kinked as its quite a sharp angle now but i cant see any other way of doing that as it just pushes onto the brass pokey out bit :wassat:. Anyone else had this or is it just me?
That throttle body you have painted looks very good :nice: I want to do mine silver, did you just carefully mask up all around the edges and just blow it over with a spray can? Any advice would be great cheers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That throttle body you have painted looks very good :nice: I want to do mine silver, did you just carefully mask up all around the edges and just blow it over with a spray can? Any advice would be great cheers.
Thanks :nice: . I done mine with a brush :blush:. It was the same paint i used on my calipers but as i had already got the pack of different sizes to do the front badge i just (carefully) put some tissue in the flappy bit so it stayed clean when i got all the powdery white stuff off of it & then used a couple of different size brushes so i could get in all the small spaces :nice:. its really easy as you can just stand it up and paint it without having to sit there holding it or stand it against anything :yep:

Im planning to get some more bits done over the weekend, hopefully if i finish work a bit earlier i will get chance to make a start during the week on it as its a bit more cleaning and painting to do :)

Niiice one! Looking good! :cool:

Don't start with the throttle body, I did mine and now I need more engine bay painting LOL! :lol: :facepalm:
Looks the business though, but now I need to do more like the slam panel etc to match! :blush:

post-5397-0-94871200-1430558028.jpg

post-5397-0-42993800-1430570526.jpg
That looks great :thumbsup:. My plan is to take the engine cover off, clean that up and paint the grey bit of the engine that you can see. Had a quick look and think its just the oil filler cap holding it on so i can take the cover off (aswell as the crossover pipe) & see what i can do :yep:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Thanks :nice: . I done mine with a brush :blush:. It was the same paint i used on my calipers but as i had already got the pack of different sizes to do the front badge i just (carefully) put some tissue in the flappy bit so it stayed clean when i got all the powdery white stuff off of it & then used a couple of different size brushes so i could get in all the small spaces :nice:. its really easy as you can just stand it up and paint it without having to sit there holding it or stand it against anything :yep:

Im planning to get some more bits done over the weekend, hopefully if i finish work a bit earlier i will get chance to make a start during the week on it as its a bit more cleaning and painting to do :)

That looks great :thumbsup:. My plan is to take the engine cover off, clean that up and paint the grey bit of the engine that you can see. Had a quick look and think its just the oil filler cap holding it on so i can take the cover off (aswell as the crossover pipe) & see what i can do :yep:
Looks spot on that throttle body does! Did you remove the plastic parts from the bottom and those metal clip looking parts? Or just mask them off? Cheers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just ordered myself some of that Hubi Trim and Hubi Tyre to make all my trims come to life

Few more pics, you can see how faded the scuttle panel was here-

IMG_7057.jpg

Im glad i took it off as it was much easier to clean up and treat it without having to lean over the car & risk damaging it. I used Hubi Trim from Hubikote

IMG_7058.jpg

This 50/50 pic really shows how bad it was :l:
IMG_7060.jpg

Much better :yep:
IMG_7061.jpg

Who knew bird feeders could be so handy when it comes to painting windscreen wiper arms :thumbsup:

IMG_7062.jpg
IMG_7064.jpg

They didn't seem to bothered either
IMG_7066.jpg

Done the nuts,washers & trim clips too. Little things that you dont really see but they were off anyway and i was bored waiting for the other bits to dry

IMG_7074.jpg
IMG_7084.jpg

Took the tape off next to see how much paint i'd got on the bumper :facepalm: . luckily there was only a small bit which came off easily enough

IMG_7068.jpg

The other bit of trim that i just cleaned up, didnt get any pics of that afterwards though

IMG_7069.jpg
IMG_7070.jpg

A bit manky around the lock and behind the black plastic

IMG_7071.jpg

Cleaned up nicely though, cant get the dirt out from the corners so might have a go with a steam cleaner some time but its alright for now

IMG_7072.jpg
IMG_7075.jpg

Managed to get some trim restorer on the black bit of the RS badge too so now it looks like new...ish

IMG_7073.jpg

Under the bonnet wasn't too bad

IMG_7076.jpg

Still got cleaned though

IMG_7077.jpg

Painted the 2 screws that hold the badge on too, wont ever see them but they looked rusty so got done anyway

IMG_7083.jpg

Even had a little helper, he likes to see whats going on/ get in the way :laughing:
IMG_7081.jpg

All back together & looks much better than it did. Really surprised how a few little bits have made such a difference :)
IMG_7085.jpg

Didn't get time to get the rear lights out this weekend, hopefully i can get some caliper/engine paint for next weekend so i can do the next bit of getting everything tidied up to how i want it :nice:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Looks spot on that throttle body does! Did you remove the plastic parts from the bottom and those metal clip looking parts? Or just mask them off? Cheers.
Cheers :nice: . no i just used a smaller brush i think, didnt take any bits off it as i didnt know if id break it by doing that :laughing:. just painted up to it and wiped any paint off quickly if i went over the edges :)

Just ordered myself some of that Hubi Trim and Hubi Tyre to make all my trims come to life
Its really good stuff :thumbsup: i used it again over the weekend on my engine cover and it brought it up nicely :smile:

keep 'em comin' :popcorn:
on the way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Started off looking a mess under the bonnet with dust everywhere

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

looked at the weather for the last friday-sunday and it was rubbish so drove it forwards into the garage so i could lock myself away and ignore the rubbish weather :smile:

IMG_9210.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

Not sure how an engine cover can get to that state but ill come back to that later

IMG_9213.jpg

Looks like whoever last put oil in it didnt have a very good aim :facepalm: . plenty of oil spilt in there and also dust and dirt stuck to it for good measure. i re-routed the black tube ( think it was the brake servo pipe or something like that?) away from the cambelt, someone said they have been known to get damaged where they are so was easy enough to do now while i was in there :). dont think theres any pics of it where it is now but i just unplugged the 2 silver and black things on the end and put it on the other side of thse (no idea what they are called :laughing: )

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

toothbrushes come in handy :eek:riginal:

IMG_9224.jpg

All clean, it took a while but got there in the end as there was a lot of :censored: in there. mainly spilt oil which was a pain to get out as it was in all the corners and even had a few of the 'sections' with puddles in them :mad:. I used wynn's carb cleaner which was really good and could just spray it over everything without worrying about getting any connections etc wet :nice:

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

Not sure what this bit is, i cleaned all the powdery stuff off it though and looked good being silver so i left it-

Before-

IMG_9227.jpg

After-

IMG_9228.jpg

That was the 1st night on it, loved the look of the green in the lights so couldnt resist a pic :smile:

IMG_9230.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
After spending friday night after work getting it all cleaned up and ready i spent saturday painting :)

Used the same paint as i did on my calipers so they match :DDance:

IMG_9252.jpg

Its not the best finish, not sure if the paint had got old but it had gone a bit thick and didn't go on aswell, it was nearly empty though so it might've dried out a bit. The black screw heads didn't look right to me, i was going to do them gloss black but then decided silver would be a bit different so went with that instead :)

IMG_9257.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

Now for the shabby engine cover :blink:. doesnt look like its ever been cleaned and that its probably been kicked across the workshop floor a few times in its life :nope:. Gave it a go though, Auto finesse Verso got rid of a lot of the dirt though, shame about the scratches though. 1 of the nuts/bolts for the crossover stands had got stuck and looks like whoever took it off has made a lash of it :thumbsdown:

IMG_9270.jpg

Cleaned up the crossover pipe 'stands' before and after pic again :laughing:

IMG_9272.jpg

Then it started raining again so i had to go inside to paint them. done them with a brush as i didnt want to be spraying anything in the garage with the car so close and i found out afterwards the spray paint i had was satin and i wanted them gloss black anyway :nice:. painted the couple of screws that hold the cover on too.

IMG_9273.jpg

cant really see but they are painted :facepalm:

IMG_9276.jpg

Picked up some silver paint and didnt realise it was so silvery :smile:

IMG_9279.jpg

And thats what it looks like now :mellow[1]:. im not sure it turned out aswell as it looked in my head but once id started i couldn't really stop :rofl:. doesn't look too bad in the pics but i think a 5 year old could've done a neater job of it :blush:. Treated the rest with hubi trim though so now thats looking nice and black again :yep:

IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

Id started putting it back together when i noticed the crossover pipe, so off that came again to have a quick go over to match the other cover

IMG_9285.jpg

How it looks now with it all cleaned, painted and put back together

IMG_9286.jpg

Theres a few bits i need to go over again, some of the engine behind the cover as i wasn't sure how much it covered at the back and also a couple of other bits but ill need some more paint for that i think. For a couple of quid and a few hours it hasn't turned out too badly i suppose

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Can't believe ive had it 6 months already :blink:. Had to tax it last night, its definately gone quick :laughing:. Just about 4000 miles in it though and loved every bit of it :smile:. Next job is sort the brakes out, i would've loved to have got the K Sports but with other stuff id like to do it was just too much this time round so stuck with just changing the discs and pads this time. Got some upgraded brake hoses from Andy at A&K motorsport so they should be here in the next few days :). After looking through photo's of other peoples cars and their project threads ive decided it needs a few more bits like mudflaps, led bulbs (numberplate, kerb lights etc) it really needs lowering too so thats the next 'big' job on the list :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
keep em coming - watching with interest!
Will do :grin:

Time flys when having fun!
Keep up the good work
Definately does :laughing: . Its getting there slowly but ive got no plans on selling it anytime soon so will just keep chipping away at my to do list :thumbsup:

go back to your 1st post, you've come a long way in 6 months kid, great fun eh :nice:
Thanks :) Had lots of fun doing bits myself and learning as i go. I've always had Alfa's before & for some reason i didnt ever do anything like this. Painted the calipers & polished the chrome intakes on my GTA but that was about it. Seeing my RS everyday though it feels like i haven't really done anything but having a look through my photos i can see the difference :laughing: :nice: . The discs and pads turned up yesterday and the hoses were delivered today, great service from Andy at A&K, can see why people rate them so highly on here :thumbsup:. When it goes in to get the brakes sorted ill try and get time to spray the backbox as it bugs me a bit, you can just see the shiny silver when you look at it from behind so it will be easier to get under it when its up on the ramp and i can clean that up and spray it black so it hides it.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts