Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is the norm for these cars to tickover at 1500rpm on initial start up from cold? it lasts around 30 seconds/1 minute?

then drops to 900rpm

only reason I ask is, during this period the car is loud (exhaust) and as this is classed as my car for business, work pay me a car allowance. I don't think they will be too happy with the sound of the car if they hear me start it up in the car park.

soon as it drops to 900rpm its fine, and I think I can get away unnoticed at work.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Normal start up yes.
The noise is one thing but you can't escape how it looks so unless yours is invisible :laughing: you're not going to get out of people noticing it

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, yes but I can try hid it in the car park, so im not seen..... just struggle to hide the sound... I could just get the windows down and turn the music up.... :facepalm:

dreading what work are going to say when they find out :blink:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
lol, yes but I can try hid it in the car park, so im not seen..... just struggle to hide the sound... I could just get the windows down and turn the music up.... :facepalm:

Can you not park on a hill and coast out the car park!! Lol

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
it is the norm for these cars to tickover at 1500rpm on initial start up from cold? it lasts around 30 seconds/1 minute?

then drops to 900rpm

only reason I ask is, during this period the car is loud (exhaust) and as this is classed as my car for business, work pay me a car allowance. I don't think they will be too happy with the sound of the car if they hear me start it up in the car park.

soon as it drops to 900rpm its fine, and I think I can get away unnoticed at work.
Maybe i'm not understanding the issue here but why would your work have an issue with how loud your car is? I would have thought that unless they have stipulated in the conditions of their allowance anything to do with noise limits etc and that as long as your car is MOT'd, roadworthy, legal etc, they can't really have any grounds for complaint over the noise? :whistle:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts

Someone will be typing their resume this afternoon then :whistle:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

then drops to 900rpm

soon as it drops to 900rpm its fine, and I think I can get away unnoticed at w

then drops to 900rpm

This is normal, its basically the cat warm up cycle IIRC i.e. the engine runs fast for a short period to get the cat up to operating termperature so it can start working efficiently in as short a time as possible. If I recall JWR had a map that removed this start up cycle. I can't recall why but I'm sure there was one. If this is really an issue, it might be worth contacting Jason to ask him

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
One thing our cars aren't is quiet especially when first started. I love the noise sit in the garage, blow the neighbours, it's just part of RS ownership.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The neighbours must love me too. I'm out starting the car at 6.45 for my day shifts. Cold start with the full mongoose sounds amazing.
If I'm feeling particularly mischievous I'll give it a wee exhaust pop on the way out the street. Love it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I gave my boss a lift to an off-site meeting in mine recently, and turned it on with the loud start up, he was like "jesus, thats loud", to which I replied "give it a minute, it needs to warm up". Then about a minute later it went down to just under 1krpm and I rolled away almost silently - think he was quite shocked. I must also annoy my neighbours sat outside at just gone 7 waiting for it to get quiet before driving off. But the neighbours on one side said when I first moved in that they loved the RS models, the neighbours the otherside have a grandson that describes my car as the racecar every time he comes round, and the neighbour opposite is looking at getting an old cossie. So all in all, I don't really think they mind :p

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you not park on a hill and coast out the car park!! Lol
ha. I will be trying various things like this. to keep myself unnoticed... including pushing it out of car parks

Maybe i'm not understanding the issue here but why would your work have an issue with how loud your car is? I would have thought that unless they have stipulated in the conditions of their allowance anything to do with noise limits etc and that as long as your car is MOT'd, roadworthy, legal etc, they can't really have any grounds for complaint over the noise? :whistle:
I don't think its just the noise. I think they will have an issue with the looks of it as well. management will just see this as a boy racer car. everyone else in the business drives BMW, Audi, Merc etc, all the usual boring stuff... I can see them saying it doesn't give off the correct company image. though I do believe there is no official policy.

think that means am I in the clear?

one of my colleagues mentioned today that 2 of the senior BDM's were discussing my car today, saying its a boy racer car and were questioning if exec management knew about the car etc,

i agree with you on this one tho Pete - but this isn't the way everyone thinks unfortunately :nope:

This is normal, its basically the cat warm up cycle IIRC i.e. the engine runs fast for a short period to get the cat up to operating termperature so it can start working efficiently in as short a time as possible. If I recall JWR had a map that removed this start up cycle. I can't recall why but I'm sure there was one. If this is really an issue, it might be worth contacting Jason to ask him
Thanks for the clarification mate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts