Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi all,

Not sure how much love this will get but it is a ford, just not an RS or does it have a turbo haha.

I've got myself a fiesta ST 150 as a base car to strip and turn into a full on track/race car.
It started life as a standard ST 150. 34k miles on it and 2 owners from new. Not a bad little find really and for the price I couldn't say no.

Plans are:

Engine:
Forge Pistons
Forge con rods
Arp bottom bolts
Arp head bolts
Cosworth bearings
Cosworth head gasket
Modified chain tensioner
200 plus spec cams
Double valve springs
60mm throttle body
BTCC manifold
Miltek 4-2-1mainfold, sports cat and cat back.
Baffled sump
Power steering cooler
Oil cooler
Alloy radiator plus silicon hoses.

The build is going to be built up by a ex Mountune engine builder with a few ex BTCC parts.
The build will push the car to about 220/230bhp, weight of the car I'm hoping for just over 1000kg.

As for the car most of the interior will be removed with the dash being flocked in time.
Seats will be replaced with bucket seats alone with 4 point harness.
Racing seating wheel to loose the airbag.
Roll cage with a harness bar will be added.
Fire extinguisher with electrical cut off switch and gauges for oil temp, water temp and oil pressure.

Suspension with be coil overs with camber adjustment.
Brake will be mintex focus ST 170 front discs making them 300mm, standard callipers fitted with DS2500 pads, 660 brake fluid and stainless brake lines.
Rears will be focus ST rear discs making them 280mm, DS2500 pads and stainless steel lines.

Wheels are 15inch team dynamics hence the use of the 300mm discs, this is the biggest that will go under.
Tyres will be Yokohama ad08's before moving onto a second set of wheel with donlop slicks.

This is the car in question when I got it.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Cloud Tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Wheel Car

New wheels, Pro race 1.2 in 15inch et35.
Fitted with some lovely 205 50 15 yoko tyres that have loads of life left in them. The guy I got them from was using them on a kit car for track days as wets so never really had much heat in them or heavy loads.
These really are like new, still have the plastic on the centre caps.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood
Shoe Plant Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Road surface
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Black

So that's the wheels/tyres sorted out and on the car, next up was getting the suspension and brakes sorted. Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coilovers were the next thing as well as the brakes on the list of bits to be sorted out so a phone call and 1 day later these where ready to be fitted up to the car.

Automotive tire Coil Audio equipment Body jewelry Cable Corded phone Telephone Automotive lighting Communication Device Telephony

Time to get the wheels and old stock suspension off, release the spanners!!
Photograph Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle Automotive tire Tread Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper Shoe Automotive tire Gas Road surface Wood Wood Gas Font Ratchet Metal Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Audio equipment Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Locking hubs

3hours later and we have fiesta sittin a lot lower to the ground.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Off to SCC for a geo set up of the car.
Looking busy boys. Lol
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Underside of the car maybe making the garage queens out there run, but it's soon to be cleaned down all arch liners removed, de greased and under sealed.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Looks really smart. Wonder if it was owned by anyone over at fiestastoc.

Like your plans for it too

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks really smart. Wonder if it was owned by anyone over at fiestastoc.
Like your plans for it too
It had the stickers on the windows and the car is on there as a project as well.

No one has said anything about owning it.

Also found out the car has a quffie diff fitted to it as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake are the next thing to be done soooooo the hunt was on for some focus ST 170 carriers. Where better then eBay, got a bargain £5 for a pair from a breakers.

So refurb of the front and rear calipers new bolts, and slider pins fitted with a spray of paint.
New 300mm discs
DS2500 pads all round.
Stainless steel lines and fluid.

Road surface Asphalt Wood Tints and shades Grass Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Gas Automotive tire Gas Nut Rim Auto part Wheel Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exterior Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Tread Saw Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Motor vehicle Tableware Table Serveware Kitchen appliance Gas Automotive tire Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Locking hubs Rim Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

The old rears where looking a little worse for wear.
This just shows you how tight the 300mm discs is with a 15inch wheel. ET35 for anyone interested.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Not sure what's happening with the pictures as they where the right way round haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got the underside of the car striped, clean and then re-undersealed. Should have done it when the suspension was off but it's not like the cars never going to be in bits again haha.
Brown Wood Gas Automotive tire Tints and shades Bumper Fixture Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Bumper Automotive tire Black Grey Wood Rim Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Got started on stripping the interior out as much as I can for now. I.e with out removing the dash at this point. I'd like to get this work done over the winter months when the engine will be being built up.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood

So with waiting on time to do things and parts running up I got on with the spray cans, getting all the plastic grey parts done in gloss black. Also with a hint of custard yellow. We all love a bit of yellow and this will be the colour theme of the car as well as it being built from many mounutne goodies.
I know before people say it, it's a track car but you still want it to look good on track and shine for the pictures.

Hood Automotive lighting Plant Wood Motor vehicle Wood Musical instrument accessory Hardwood Wood stain Varnish Vehicle Car Grille Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

While the paint was out I had to do the discs as they would have started to get that nasty rusty look.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Well I was on the look out for a bucket seat for me first before I get a passenger one. Looking a round the rally forums and come across this little gem. A full carbon fibre sparco bucket seat. It's from an ex Subaru WRX car. It's so light it's unreal, paired with this I got a 4 point 3inch OMP harness witch of course is black and yellow.
To add more to the race car look and feel is a OMP steering wheel. Even this is lighter then the standard one due to no More air bag.

Shoe Furniture Black Comfort Purple Automotive tire Sports equipment Tire Human body Automotive design Speedometer Car Vehicle Light Gauge
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Some of the seat in and fixed in position for me.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Cloud Material property Personal luxury car Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
This looks so much fun, both to build and to drive. That seat must have been very expensive to build originally.
I'm interested in your decision to stick with standard calipers, is this because of the now reduced weight?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This looks so much fun, both to build and to drive. That seat must have been very expensive to build originally.
I'm interested in your decision to stick with standard calipers, is this because of the now reduced weight?
Thank you. It's a very fun car to drive.

The standard calipers are the same as used on the focus ST170. On the focus they are used with 300mm discs and a bracket to suit.
On the fiesta the discs used originally are 280mm. With a smaller braket. Don't sound much only a 20mm increase in discs size but like you say with less weight in the car and less unspung weight this is more then plenty.
You get a great pad choice with the calipers as well witch helps plus it's cheap to keep changing pads and discs. All this just fits under 15 inch alloys witch is better for handling as well as cheaper on tyres. Tyre contact isn't lost either as I can still run the same 205 width tyres.

The other option is to get willwood 4pot calipers and have custom brakes made up so they can work with the 280mm origanl discs.
You could still use a 15inch wheel with these, if not you would have to up the wheel size to 16inch. Thus upping costs on pads, discs and tyres.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So got a few bits made up on my friends car they we will be adding to mine as well soon.
These will raise the gear leaver up just enough so I can take my hand straight from the wheel to the gear Knob without having to "move" it to much. It all helps when your in a harness, bucket seat and race suit lol.

As you can see the bush is yellow as well to help with the mounutne ans custard love.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Sewing machine Automotive tire Guitar accessory Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

So the main problem with these ST's is the power steering pump. So when normal driving the pump is fine start to give it a bit of stick and it starts to struggle. Give it even more stick on track and your be in the pits as it all boiled over into the engine bay.
The problem is the location of the pump. It sits on the side of the engine, with the the pipe to the steering rack running over the top of the head.
As you can guess this is a very hot place to have fluids running, so ford must have put a cooler in for this?...
No they didn't so I did.

Basic 13row cooler some high pressure pipe in two different sizes, pump adapter to give me a bend made by AS and a power steering tank from a focus.
Moved the power steering tank over the side on the side of the battery tray to get it right out the way and mounted the cooler in front of the number plate on top of the crash bar. On track I don't need the number plate so I cut out holes to aid some cold air.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Technology Vehicle Car Hood Wheel Tire Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.