Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
With all the constant changes to the highway code I thought it would be worthwhile putting up a link of where to find the online version in order to keep up to date with any changes (prompted by todays little post about school crossing patrol black line question.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

if there is a topic on this already please feel free to merge them

@Clive could this be pinned please?

-------------------------------------

I also found this update personally interesting

Rule 107

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency officers have powers to stop vehicles on all roads, including motorways and trunk roads, in England and Wales. They will attract your attention by flashing amber lights

• either from the front requesting you to follow them to a safe place to stop
  • or from behind directing you to pull over to the side by pointing and/or using the left indicator.

It is an offence not to comply with their directions. You MUST obey any signals given (see 'Signals by authorised persons').

Laws RTA 1988 sect 67, & PRA sect 41 & sched 5( 8)

Rule 108

Traffic officers have powers to stop vehicles on most motorways and some 'A' class roads, in England only. If traffic officers in uniform want to stop your vehicle on safety grounds (e.g. an insecure load) they will, where possible, attract your attention by

• flashing amber lights, usually from behind
  • directing you to pull over to the side by pointing and/or using the left indicator.

You MUST then pull over and stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Then switch off your engine. It is an offence not to comply with their directions (see 'Signals by authorised persons').

Law RTA 1988 sects 35 & 163 as amended by TMA sect 6

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great, and then as they let you go, they'll mention that they're gonna close the all lanes running section, coz they're bored, and fancy a laugh and that you'll be stuck in mile after mile of backed up traffic.

·
previously GrahamS
1,138 Posts
Whilst it's true that you must stop if ordered to by these guys their range of reasons that they can pull you over for is vastly reduced compared to a police officer

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I wouldn't worry about being pulled over by anyone. There are hardly any Police left let alone traffic officers. It's like the start of the film I am Legend these days.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
How are to know that the guys with a flashing orange light and high vis jackets are not crims trying to get your car.
Well if you're going down that road, what's to say that the 'Police' car flashing its blue lights and signalling for you to pull over isn't actually been driven by a legitimate person? I think it would be safe to say that the odds of this happening are rather low; if for some unbelievable reason they aren't legit, you pull over and they nab the car, then i guess that's life, :f: it, it's just a car! :whistle: :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
In Merseyside the police are using unmarked cars with L plates so that you have to overtake a slow "learner driver" then when you do they turn on the blue lights and stop you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
They can't do that legally, if they are doing it on purpose. It's entrapment, which the UK police don't recognise, being an American term, but that is what it is.

At court, they'd say, they didn't realise it was there, and somebody had put it there for a laugh...

But, you should ask yourself, would a lerner 'potentially' be driving a brand/nearly new top end Audi S3, 3 Series, 5 Series or Skoda Vrs?? Maybe.....but I'd suggest unlikely.

So, I'd be cautious.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
In Merseyside the police are using unmarked cars with L plates so that you have to overtake a slow "learner driver" then when you do they turn on the blue lights and stop you.
They can't do that legally, if they are doing it on purpose. It's entrapment, which the UK police don't recognise, being an American term, but that is what it is.

At court, they'd say, they didn't realise it was there, and somebody had put it there for a laugh...

But, you should ask yourself, would a lerner 'potentially' be driving a brand/nearly new top end Audi S3, 3 Series, 5 Series or Skoda Vrs?? Maybe.....but I'd suggest unlikely.

So, I'd be cautious.
Not sure what the issue would be here to be honest; as long as you overtake this 'learner' vehicle safely, where it is permitted and within the speed limit, which everyone does of course ( :whistle: !) without providing them with a reason to pull you over, what's the problem?! :smile: :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts