Focus RS Forum banner
601 - 620 of 639 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
I did my conversion today. I'm still waiting for my USB power cable but that's a 5 min job once it gets here.

Plenty of fiddly things - dismantling the rear trim to drop the headlining to install the new aerial base was a particular favourite along with the force required to remove the dash trim!

Anyway, all working bar the USB. Have to say I'm well chuffed. Nav works a treat and the interface is a big step up. Rear sensors work but no reversing camera so I'll need a hand to set that up at some point @Jamie. I'm hoping that won't involve reconnecting the sync2 to pull off the APIM configuration?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did my conversion today. I'm still waiting for my USB power cable but that's a 5 min job once it gets here.
Plenty of fiddly things - dismantling the rear trim to drop the headlining to install the new aerial base was a particular favourite along with the force required to remove the dash trim!
Anyway, all working bar the USB. Have to say I'm well chuffed. Nav works a treat and the interface is a big step up. Rear sensors work but no reversing camera so I'll need a hand to set that up at some point @Jamie. I'm hoping that won't involve reconnecting the sync2 to pull off the APIM configuration?
Glad it worked out ok it's definatly worth it once it's all installed and the saving over getting Ford to do it. With programming the APIM to get it working with your configuration, it doesn't take long at all to change the boot up logo and activating reversing camera. The longest bit for me was making 100% sure what you are changing is correct as it's not something you want to get wrong. You don't need to reconnect to Sync 2 as you are changing three or four digits to enable everything you would have had on your sync 2 unit. Before you do that you are saving the original configuration anyway so can revert back to what you had before messing it up (hopefully not though!). Thanks to @Jamie for that. Once you have FORSCan you can play around with the demo mode as well to see how it works.

I found fitting the aerial the hardest part of the job but it's worth the hassle to avoid loosing GPS messages.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh yeah and don’t faff around like one of the YouTube videos trying to get out the USB hub out with a screwdriver. Take the whole back off and it’s much easier to get to the cables and see what you are doing, It’s prob quicker spending 5 minutes longer taking the back of arm rest support out than scratching your plastics

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

As soon as you're ready, just let me know. Can either meet up to use my serial cable or I can talk you through it if you have your own cable and happy to make the changes on FORscan.

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
assuming you use the standard satnav set up on the sync 3 is it actually any better/clearer than the sync 2?
The address input is a revelation, any old text, street name, town, postcode (without spaces!!) and it figures it out. Nav Interface less clunky generally. Once on the road quite similar. Some better map views available. I quite like this one:
Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Steering wheel Gadget Vehicle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
As soon as you're ready, just let me know. Can either meet up to use my serial cable or I can talk you through it if you have your own cable and happy to make the changes on FORscan.
Thanks mate much appreciated. I'll meet up with you at some point in the next couple of weeks when convenient for you. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
@[member="*dan*"] How did you get the back of the armrest off? I lost patience and didn't take my off in the end which made it a right pain to get the USB Hub out.

I sold my Sync 2 for £150 and SD Card for £15 on eBay which made the Sync 3 conversion cheaper :)

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
@[member="*dan*"] How did you get the back of the armrest off? I lost patience and didn't take my off in the end which made it a right pain to get the USB Hub out.
I sold my Sync 2 for £150 and SD Card for £15 on eBay which made the Sync 3 conversion cheaper :)
There are two screws which you access inside the armrest at the top (hidden by two square covers which are hinged at the top)
Once the screws are removed the cover is held on my 4 trim clips towards the bottom.

Definitely worth doing, saves a lot of time and swearing.

Good news on selling the old kit - I was thinking of doing the same after seeing one or two go on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
Thanks mate much appreciated. I'll meet up with you at some point in the next couple of weeks when convenient for you. :)
I have been looking at what's involved with forscan and it looks quite straightforward so I've ordered an Elm cable which should arrive tomorrow hopefully. I'll therefore be grateful of a walk through of the two values I'll need to change.

601 - 620 of 639 Posts