Focus RS Forum banner
581 - 600 of 639 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I fed the fakra cable from the back of APIM through a hole at back through to the rear of glovebox compartment. I then took the glovebox out to make the wiring neat and ensure it wasn't going to get caught when you open and close it. Then went up the door onto the side of the headling all the way to rear of car. The only reason I did it that way was I already wired my rear dash cam this way and knew how to do it.
@[member="*dan*"] So you fed the cable through the headlining? How did you do that? Anything tricky or tricks to do it properly?

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
@Graham
Ive already offered to use FORscan for Dan, so the offer is there too if you need a hand
P.S Is yours a Nav unit, usually have to be careful if you want Sync nav included
Awesome thanks @Jamie.

I believe it is nav, yes. It was advertised as such but I will have to wait and see. The part number of the APIM is the same as the one you've used although not sure whether that guarantees nav? We'll see I guess :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
@[member="*dan*"] So you fed the cable through the headlining? How did you do that? Anything tricky or tricks to do it properly?
It's pretty straight forward just take off your door seals on near side and gently push it up into the lip where the headlining moulds onto the side of car. Loosened off the trim by the seat belt and tucked it behind the lip at the top so it doesn't get squashed. It was harder feeding the dash cam cable as I didn't drop the headling (didn't need to as wasn't changing the antenna) but once your near the rear door area with your cable you'll be able to fish it through and work it out.

@Graham I never really got my head around the APIM part numbers and how to find out if they have satellite navigation (as opposed to the 'navigation' descriptor ford craftily called it without sat nav). I assumed that the titanium X had satellite navigation as standard (reversing camera it did) but it didn't and only found that out once I committed to purchase. Fortunately when I plugged it all in it did have navigation maps. The easy bit is The screen part number but APIMs I really wouldn't know how to tell if it has nav or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's pretty straight forward just take off your door seals on near side and gently push it up into the lip where the headlining moulds onto the side of car. Loosened off the trim by the seat belt and tucked it behind the lip at the top so it doesn't get squashed. It was harder feeding the dash cam cable as I didn't drop the headling (didn't need to as wasn't changing the antenna) but once your near the rear door area with your cable you'll be able to fish it through and work it out
Cool, thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
224 Posts
@Tezza have you updated your software version to v3 on your APIM? Reason I ask is because I have read of some peoples APIM's bricking it when installing and know you have one of the older APIM's for sync 3. Not sure if it is related to age but worth asking before I do it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
@Tezza have you updated your software version to v3 on your APIM? Reason I ask is because I have read of some peoples APIM's bricking it when installing and know you have one of the older APIM's for sync 3. Not sure if it is related to age but worth asking before I do it.
Dan

Yes i have took 40mins and i have updated the maps (20gig) just over a hour to install and no problems at all :nice:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dan

Yes i have took 40mins and i have updated the maps (20gig) just over a hour to install and no problems at all :nice:
All done took about 25 minutes to do. I have the log file that it has created and uploaded it to the Ford site however the donor car VIN will not match to the log file as it is using my RS's VIN. Did you upload the log file to the donor cars VIN on the ford site? If there are any updates in the future im not sure if the Ford system will know I have updates as it may think I have Sync 2..

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
All done took about 25 minutes to do. I have the log file that it has created and uploaded it to the Ford site however the donor car VIN will not match to the log file as it is using my RS's VIN. Did you upload the log file to the donor cars VIN on the ford site? If there are any updates in the future im not sure if the Ford system will know I have updates as it may think I have Sync 2..
Interesting, I was wondering how this would work. I assumed it would create the report under the donor cars VIN. How does the APIM know the VIN of your RS? Did you recode it somehow? Or does it have access to data from the ECU or something?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The APIM knows my RSs VIN as when I did the conversion I was playing around and noticed in the settings it had recognised mine. Im guessing here but maybe the ACM which talks to the APIM still knows that its an RS (as I havent changed the ACM).

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
OK that's very interesting to know. I hoped that I'd be able to go to the settings -> about sync menu on the screen to get the donor vehicle's VIN. I guess not in that case. I guess I'll have to take an unofficial route to get the software update as I presume my VIN on the Ford download site won't give me any sync3 options..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
OK that's very interesting to know. I hoped that I'd be able to go to the settings -> about sync menu on the screen to get the donor vehicle's VIN. I guess not in that case. I guess I'll have to take an unofficial route to get the software update as I presume my VIN on the Ford download site won't give me any sync3 options..
Your non sync 3 vin should work fine, it did for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
581 - 600 of 639 Posts