Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new RS getting two stage switchable damper modes how will this effect suspension modifications.

Now I know this shouldn't effect lowering springs as the dampers don't usually need changing unless going for low springs.

But if say you wanted coilovers or similar how would this work as the dampers would be changed.

Would this then effect the switchable damper settings or not?

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
In simple terms yes it would unless the aftermarket part is a made to work with the system which would incur more ££ imo.

To be fair its a question that cannot be 100% right till the mk3 is out there

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Having climbed under the demo at think ford the rear drive train and suspension is very very compact. I would say that modifications won't be without their difficulties and cost. But I am sure Mtune will have it covered.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Having climbed under the demo at think ford the rear drive train and suspension is very very compact. I would say that modifications won't be without their difficulties and cost. But I am sure Mtune will have it covered.
Did you get a feel for whether the floor pan changes for the RS?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
On one hand, Ford has put a massive amount of time and development cost setting up the suspension,
On the other hand , they had to set it up pretty high for every market use. They simply would not getaway by fitting a low like super car suspension on every day hot hatch.

Therefore, Lowering the car by around 20mm should not affect setup, if development was done by reputable company.

With regards to coilovers , I would wait for electronic adaptive coilovers, from the likes of KW (DDC), Tein etc,
Such suspension ,most likely , would not be available for quite some time and probably cost over 3k, cause development, testing cost, technology involved is pretty substantial, but they would compliment and improve the handling, kind of "plug and play " in to existing set up,
rather undo all the work done by ford for the sake of lower stance and looks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I did the same at Sandiciffe:

20656286850_e48daed7e6_b.jpg

(Excuse the ST fleece :laughing: )

As said, it is all very snug under there - and I don't think the base Focus shell has been cut by the look of it. If it has it looks very well done.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Iirc Eibach springs were warranty friendly on the MK2 weren't they......? Are we likely to see the same on the MK3 as I would like to lower a little but worried about my warranty.

If not I guess I'll have to live with the ride height.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts