Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys looking forward, Ford offer Supagard for paint protection what's your views on it is it any good?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Had it on a RX-8 inside and out, thought it was a waste of money until.... 6 months in a 1.5L bottle of coke exploded in the passenger footwell. Covering pretty much the entire interior, stained the headlining, seats, dash, carpet etc.... Had to return it to the dealer for a Valet, but when I got it back, you would have never known.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can get supaguard off eBay and do it yourself for a lot cheaper. Had it done on my mk2 rs haven't noticed any difference. Mega expensive from ford's.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Get it detailed yourself. I'm using a detailer and that's £250-300 and their work is amazing. The ford price is expensive and I didn't notice any difference in my ST. Interior yes exterior no. Go else where

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I have used Supagard with reasonable results but would never pay a dealer to do it.

Preparation is the key and a good machine polish is needed first to strip off all products that are on the surface of the paint. I always use 2 coats.

I have recently switched to Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 which I find a much better product :nice: about £24 per bottle and a decent day preparing and cleaning the paint gives a very good result. You can also use it on plastics, trim and glass. Very good product.

Alternatively, use a good detailer and they will apply a sealant for you if you ask.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Getting mine fully detailed after I pick it up.The guy is going to use all the proper stuff to protect the car.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you're talking detailing is there a reputable national chain that do it? Forgive my ignorance as I've never used a detailer

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I do all my own detailing, been learning the techniques for over 18 years from many different experienced detailers. The :rs: will take me a minimum of 3 days to clean and protect if the dealer keeps there grubby mitts and wash sponges off it. I did my 'work neighbours' Lotus Elise last year and it took me 6 full days to do. :blush: He got an extra £1200 on trade in at the second dealer though as the salesman described it as better than new! He is now in a MK3 Focus ST and seriously considering the :rs: now he has seen my spec :wink:. I have already put my detailing list together for when I get the new :rs:.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I do all my own detailing, been learning the techniques for over 18 years from many different experienced detailers. The :rs: will take me a minimum of 3 days to clean and protect if the dealer keeps there grubby mitts and wash sponges off it. I did my 'work neighbours' Lotus Elise last year and it took me 6 full days to do. :blush: He got an extra £1200 on trade in at the second dealer though as the salesman described it as better than new! He is now in a MK3 Focus ST and seriously considering the :rs: now he has seen my spec :wink:. I have already put my detailing list together for when I get the new :rs:.
How much do you charge?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm requesting that the dealer doesn't clean my car in any way before I pick it up as it will be going straight to a place called AM Details. I have never heard a bad thing about them and know several people that have had their cars done by them without any issues. th only issue is they are so busy all the time that they have a 4 month waiting list. I'll be going for the gold Gtechniq package that they do which is the whole car.

If live near the area then I'd look into it as well.

http://www.amdetails.co.uk/

Or for those on facetube https://www.facebook.com/amdetails?fref=ts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd recommend Gyeon Durabead or MOHS. If you go for the authorised detailer only product it is incredible. I can fully clean the car by just snow foaming it sometimes.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
When it comes to collecting ours I will be taking Keith with me. He can give it a full once over then he will have it to sort out any protection.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Guys looking forward, Ford offer Supagard for paint protection what's your views on it is it any good?
I have been told by a detailer friend of mine that it is about 25 quids worth of jollop and its all about how it is applied !

I would never pay a dealer to do it ( "Oh John , geezer wants supaguard - can you wiz out the back and throw some on his motor !) and as has been said , half a day or even a day by a pro detailer will get way better results

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
Had my MK2 done with Supagard in 2009 before it was delivered and cost the tidy sum of £287.50. Seemed to help with stone chips and didn't mark as badly as my MK1.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts