Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a summons through the post today, had forgot all about, was back in June, got stopped by an unmarked car, said I was going to be reported etc. Anyway have read the coppers statement and one glaring incorrect fact is he stated i was going Northbound when I was heading southbound coming back from holiday, is that enough reason to argue the summons ?.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
No it's not.

I once wrote the incorrect VRM in my statement regarding a no insurance (stopped 2 of the same vehicles one after another) and copied the wrong VRM of the two stops from my pocket book.
This was pointed out by the defence to the magistrate who heard my reasoning and completely overulled the objection as the correct driver was noted and in attendance.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just going to plead guilty by post, it was speeding, the letter that came gives me the choice of going to court, plea by post, guilty or not. I know there's no excuse but the fact I was going the opposite way just made me wonder if it's worth arguing it.

Many moons ago when drive an 8 wheeler tipper I was stopped and after checking was told I had an illegal tyre, the copper wrote what he thought was the serial number down but actually wrote the British standard kite mark number, something like that, my boss saw the error and when we went to court he took a good tyre into court with the kite mark number same as the illegal tyre, judge throw it out.

That aside, general thought is take legal advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you get the NIP within 2 weeks of the offence? If you did then the police have 6 months after that date to prosecute

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have they not offered you a speed awareness course? Or have you been naughty before ;)
No, was a bit more than just over. Annoying thing is, I wasn't racing just going home after holiday, weren't in a rush.

Did you get the NIP within 2 weeks of the offence? If you did then the police have 6 months after that date to prosecute
No NIP, till yesterday, was stopped on 11th June, apparently you don't get the two week deadline if your stopped as apposed to a speed camera, they have 6 months to send the notice.

·
Premium Member
Alb (Mk2 MP350)
3,051 Posts
You'd be technically correct to plead not guilty to the offence of speeding in a Northbound direction.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have taken advice and going to go guilty, the solicitor is going to write a letter for me and go from there.

Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
78 Posts
You need that legal eagle who represents all the celebs , Nick Freeman he seems to find fault with the police evidence and wins the case on a technicallity, have never understood why the boys in blue don't have him working for them,possibly the size of his fee.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need that legal eagle who represents all the celebs , Nick Freeman he seems to find fault with the police evidence and wins the case on a technicallity, have never understood why the boys in blue don't have him working for them,possibly the size of his fee.
Would like too, but think he might be a bit expensive !

!
I can put you on to a good solicitor he got me some points for well over 100mph
That might be handy, can you pm me with his address and an idea of what he charges please.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You would have been given a verbal NIP, what speed were you doing and what was the speed limit?
Was told I'd be reported for the offence of exceeding the speed limit, so I guess that's a verbal NIP. Speed limit was 70.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.