Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are a lot of cars on here running gloss black alloys.

How do you guys stop them getting swirl marks? It seems like anything i touch them with they get marked up, even washing them using a wash mitt and wheel detailing brush puts marks in them.

The spokes are too close together to get a machine in there properly so rules out polishing them that way.

I have polished them by hand then waxed, but even that didn't last very long and you can soon see the marks coming back.

So what does everyone else do?

Obviously i understand black is the hardest colour to keep swirl free as it just shows everything up in the light.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I sealed my wheels with g techniq c5.. Don't know if it protected them from scratches but I use wash mitt and brush at back of wheels and I wouldn't say there's swirl marks on them :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sealed my wheels with g techniq c5.. Don't know if it protected them from scratches but I use wash mitt and brush at back of wheels and I wouldn't say there's swirl marks on them :)
This is what i should have done when i first got them powder coated gloss black.

I don't think i will be able to apply c5 now as it would need to go on without any other polish residue on there. I think i would need some sort of filling polish to hide the swirl marks as the spoke's are that close together i cant get a polisher in there to remove them completely :nope:

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
Wheels invariably get covered in grit and brake dust, if your going to wash them with a mitt you are going to get swirl marks on them.

The only way of reducing that for me is to apply a very high quality sealant to them after they are coated and then power wash / snow foam them every time you do the car, only using a mitt if absolutely necessary. G Techniq C5 is the way forward IMHO.

Applying a quality sealant will help to fill some of the marks, but its black, your never going to hide them completely. And i dont suppose most people would realise anyway.

Or you could buck the trend and get them re-done silver....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
have you had them painted recently ? if so did you have them sprayed or powder coated ?

reason i ask this question is because if you have had them powder coated they will scratch

i had mine done gloss black a few years ago worse thing i ever done no matter how much wax polish

or sealer i used they always looked :f: even when we power coat the BMW cars in work they still

scratch i had mine acid dipped and shot blasted a couple of months ago and had them sprayed

in BMW pinical grey and they look the dogs :f:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Try gt85 on em applied with a cloth not sprayed....use this on my bikes and it brings the black up on them lovely .

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
Sealed mine with G5 when new. I gently pressure wash wheels then spray on very cherry non acid wheel cleaner agitate with wheel woolies wash off. Then wax when dry, no problem with swirl's and mine are satin black which is just as bad as gloss for marks.

·
Premium Member
20,308 Posts
Are they powder coated ? If so will scratch easily that's why I always prefer paint nicer finish and easily polished up

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Wheels invariably get covered in grit and brake dust, if your going to wash them with a mitt you are going to get swirl marks on them.

The only way of reducing that for me is to apply a very high quality sealant to them after they are coated and then power wash / snow foam them every time you do the car, only using a mitt if absolutely necessary. G Techniq C5 is the way forward IMHO.

Applying a quality sealant will help to fill some of the marks, but its black, your never going to hide them completely. And i dont suppose most people would realise anyway.

Or you could buck the trend and get them re-done silver....
Pressure washing any part of the car will actually cause more scratches if its dirty. The grit gets forced across the surface by the high pressure water and will scratch it. Best to use a lifting type foam (snow foam) first, then a good non acid wheel cleaner (I find Espuma Wheel Revolution excellent) and a running hose. This is much less harsh on wheels and paint. I rarely power wash my cars at all these days after a pro detailer told me this little nugget of info.

Underneath and in the wheel arches still get a good blast with the power washer though :yep:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.