Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this in the wrong section. I've noticed this morning that my stop/start has stopped cutting in. When before under the same circumstances it would cut in, despite being like - 2 or something it would work. But this morning on a nice day it just displays the symbol on the dash with an arrow through it to say its not ready to work, like it does when the engine is still cold. Any ideas? No other symptoms noticed other than that.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
You'll be the only person complaining it didn't kick in - loads on here seem to hate it lol

Normally when it doesn't work it will be because the metrics it works to haven't been met - have you had a lot of short journeys so the battery could be not fully charged up or something along those lines?

On the RS it rarely kicks in for me but our BMW which is auto it's constantly kicking in when delayed at a junction or roundabout etc and sometimes it just seems to not want to kick in - nothing logical seems to be the cause and then the next day all seems well again?

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Most likely due to voltage drop. Give the car a good long run and it will reactivate.
I usually have to drive on the motorway for a couple of hours every so often to keep start stop working due to my dashcam's parking mode causing the voltage to drop. It happens even despite the dashcam's built in battery protection.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, yeh I do normally switch it off but sometimes use it as my daily commute has a fair few traffic lights so depending how I hit them. I agree that you have to meet certain conditions before it will work and it does seem fussy, though I didn't buy the car for the fuel economy when it didn't activate the ocd kicked in🙈.

Ah yeh, I do have a dash cam and I've recently fitted it with a hardwire kit, the dash cam was never an issue before then, I overlooked that. Cheers, it will most likely be that as you say. I'll give it a good run out this weekend. Is that likely to shorten the life of the battery do you reckon?

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
I think you'll be ok re: battery lifespan. Presuming your dashcam has a voltage cut off, either built in or external like a power magic pro, then the voltage won't drop much before it cuts off. That will keep the battery within safe limits. It's just the start stop system which is a bit paranoid..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh it's a next base kit and has a cut off built in. It seems it is a bit paranoid. I think I just need to give the car a run out more.

·
Premium Member
10,079 Posts
Has anyone else's stop-start been broke for years like mine? :unsure: LOL! :LOL:
I've been on long drives around the country for years so it's not the battery... it's funny to me because I don't like it so I'm happy it doesn't work. I've only ever used it at train crossings anyway as you are sat for ages but for short periods at traffic lights I find it pointless! :rolleyes: :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mine works fine on the RS, but not on my Superb.

I think I broke it when I disconnected the battery... but I've no interest in fixing it as I'd rather keep the engine running to avoid the stop/start load on the starter motor etc.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Mine works fine on the RS, but not on my Superb.

I think I broke it when I disconnected the battery... but I've no interest in fixing it as I'd rather keep the engine running to avoid the stop/start load on the starter motor etc.
The starter motors are uprated and I assume Skoda will have tested them for durability just as Ford do. Ford test examples of each their starter motors, for a minimum of 350,000 stop / start cycles in a continuous test where the engine runs for several minutes, switches off, restarts after a minute or so and then repeats. That's quite excessive compared to what it will have to endure in its life in a car.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Would be interesting to know how many people actually leave the stop/start switched on?
The first thing I did after starting the car was to press the button! I've now had it switched off via the map.

JohnD

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Would be interesting to know how many people actually leave the stop/start switched on?
The first thing I did after starting the car was to press the button! I've now had it switched off via the map.

JohnD
As I have said before, mine is always switched on. Can't see any advantage in switching it off.

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,799 Posts
As I have said before, mine is always switched on. Can't see any advantage in switching it off.
Depends on where you live and the type of commuting you do.
In my case, it's manually switched off in the Audi and Honda daily drives. In the M car it's not a selectable option.

Ford aren't the only manufacturers that carry out D&D on these type of systems...

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I bow to your heightened sense of environmental awareness😇

JohnD
No heightened sense of environmental awareness here at all. The engine switching off doesn't cause any hindering to the operation of the vehicle, so why the need to switch the stop/start off?

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Depends on where you live and the type of commuting you do.
In my case, it's manually switched off in the Audi and Honda daily drives. In the M car it's not a selectable option.

Ford aren't the only manufacturers that carry out D&D on these type of systems...
For the most part my commute is dual carriageway, but I also drive up London from time to time and have never found the need or desire to switch off the function.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts