Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Previously Si.
1,617 Posts
But for different reasons than you might first think....

Had all four tyres changed on our Octavia yesterday. And yet again (last year the same thing happened) my alloys have been damaged by the :f: monkeys fitting the tyres. This time it was National Tyres in Northallerton. I'd changed fitting agents from last year to try and avoid it happening again.

By the time I got home to fully inspect the missing gloss black paint from all 4 alloys my car was PROPER filthy due to the wet muddy roads I have to travel getting back to the village where we live.

It just made me think that if we get the mk3 it will end up getting constantly hacked-up with mud and cow :f: for the 9 months of the year that we get :f: wet weather over here. I couldn't justify having a garage-queen mk3 due to the probable cost the RS will weigh-in at. Honestly? The roads I use adds YEARS to a car, unless you spend every waking spare minute trying to fight the elements and mud.....and I can't be bothered. I do it with the Octavia as best I can, but it would break my heart to see a new RS getting hammered from the **** roads and weather.

I've also JUST (today in fact) gone back to work after having 6 months off due to needing a back operation, and I'm just not sure what the future holds for me health-wise due to my back issue. I'm feeling fit now after my surgery, but what happens if my back went again? Which obviously makes any large financial purchases questionable, or at least they need to be very carefully considered first.

However, all the above would go out the window anyway if when the price for the car and available options ends up being too expensive......I've set a figure in my head that I won't go over.

Food for thought.....I'll have to have a good ponder. Maybe I should take myself out of the self-inflicted pressure of buying one of the 1st wave of cars.....and sit back till the New Year to see how my situation pans-out.....it's not like I'm saying I would never get one. Just maybe I shouldn't get one (or rather tie myself down) to getting one now....?

Aaaagggggghhhhhhh!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
How did you get along with Mk2 and other previous nice cars Si, were they kept at the garage most of the time, and with mk3 is going to be your daily drive ?
Maybe you should keep Octavia for bad weather, and use mk3 other times?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Sounds like you been through the mill a bit with having the stress of major surgery and I hope all is well now, it's always a big decision making a financial commitment in what ever capacity, be it a car, a house , having a family even all these things have an impact to our present and future , we don't have a crystal ball to see what lays ahead we can only either go with our head which is usually sensible or with out heart and take the consequence , you say health wise your not sure how things will pan out , hopefully your be just fine, settle into work after a long time out and have a clear view of the future . Yes , it would be great to take delivery of the first mk3! We'd all like that, but is it worth the stress possible of a financial burden at this point in time, there will always be mk3 rS's I'm sure once they start rolling off the production line, costs? Who knows ? If you're thinking already it will be a tie, then maybes hold fire till your 100% ready for the financial commitment, there's nothing worse than regretting something that isn't cheap to walk away from if you change your mind , like a deposit that you may loose, personally, I'd wait and see, you'll know how your recovering after your operation, and how things are with work , sit back, and see what happens, at least that way when you make a final decision it will be for the right reasons , we have enough pressure on life let alone adding the self inflicted version! Good luck with your recovery , lisa

·
Previously Si.
1,617 Posts
With us already having two cars...........what would I do IF I bought the RS and kept both the others regarding insurance? Would I have to start from scratch with the RS on a new policy, or could I have some sort of multi-car policy where I was the main driver for the Octavia AND the mk3? (Our other car has my wife as the main driver).....the RS would then become somewhat of a garage queen as I could continue to run the Octavia to work.

That's the follow my heart scenario calling me........but I've NEVER ran three cars in order to keep one mint. Too much cost!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
You can get some good deals on multi car insurance, Admiral are good. I've got 5 insured on a multi car policy and its £650 all in. They will mirror your no claims if they're in a good mood.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You can get some good deals on multi car insurance, Admiral are good. I've got 5 insured on a multi car policy and its £650 all in. They will mirror your no claims if they're in a good mood.
No claims diacoint can only be used on one car.

·
Previously Si.
1,617 Posts
There's also the niggling thought in the back of my mind that I think there will be NO problem in getting one of these come launch. So perhaps I'm letting myself get suckered into somewhat of a panic-buy?

When I bought the new model Subaru Sti back in early 2014 there was only about 200 cars allocated for the UK that year. I slapped down my deposit and sat back chuffed with myself I'd bagged a very rare car. Apparently they had all been sold, and if anyone wanted one after launch they were looking at 6 months later to wait.

So I was a bit miffed when about 20 brand new Sti's were for sale on Autotrader in the first week of release. I kept checking every few weeks and the numbers never dropped - there was a constant stream of new Subaru's available to buy.

So I'm not sure that Ford will be any different......dealers always seem to navigate around the constraints of supposedly only selling to actual real buyers.

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Sounds like the MK3 would be just the car being AWD. Buy it drive it just pressure wash it every week which is what I do as the roads by us can get pretty filthy. I suffer with a bad back and both RS's were and are a treat to drive so I am sure the MK3 seats will be as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts