Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Fords recommend the spark plugs are changed every 3 years but is it really necessary ? mine were changed at 3 years and had only done about 4500 miles and my car will be coming up for its 6th service soon but has only done around 1500 miles more so do they really need replacing ,ill probably have them changed anyway but was just wondering what peoples thoughts are .Do all manufacturers recommend brake fluid change every 2 years and plugs changed every 3 years ?or is it just Fords .

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
All are different bud. Some can be 2 years for plugs some 5 stick to the manufacturer warranty. I'll be honest I don't I change mine every year and my oil every 6 months even though I barely do 3000 miles a year lol.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I know Fords recommend the spark plugs are changed every 3 years but is it really necessary ? mine were changed at 3 years and had only done about 4500 miles and my car will be coming up for its 6th service soon but has only done around 1500 miles more so do they really need replacing ,ill probably have them changed anyway but was just wondering what peoples thoughts are .Do all manufacturers recommend brake fluid change every 2 years and plugs changed every 3 years ?or is it just Fords .
Waste of money, sparks are a mileage thing.

·
Administrator
49,107 Posts
I'm approximately on the mileage for the first service (six and a bit years old) , and I've changed the plugs twice , I believe any car will benefit from a spark plug change regardless of it's mileage .

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I used to do mine yearly, regardless of mileage, sometimes after only 50 odd miles, its down to the individual in the end I guess, but theres no benefit in my experience with low miles cars.

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
Well I do about 8k a year running 375 and change mine every year. New plugs make a big difference to how the car runs plus if its done just before the mot I find it helps emissions. Minimal cost after all.

·
Premium Member
23,438 Posts
Plus, if you leave them in too long, they may end up being a pig to get out! :cry:

I used to change the plugs on the old Sierra every year & even then, a couple were always a bit seized in! :nope:

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Leaving them in won't do any harm. They won't be difficult to get out either. The spark plugs were exposed like the old 1.3 fiesta/ka engine then I'd say yes. But due to ur mileage mate I really Wudnt bother changing

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leaving them in won't do any harm. They won't be difficult to get out either. The spark plugs were exposed like the old 1.3 fiesta/ka engine then I'd say yes. But due to ur mileage mate I really Wudnt bother changing
Will probably let them change them anyway seeing as its part of the service ,although im sure theres no need to . :nice:

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Mine were changed this year and I have noticed a significant difference.. I WAS missing when at 2.5 to 3000 revs now its fine.. :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
When you look at how much 'work' each plug does even on a short journey, for one single day, it makes sense to change them annually imo, they aren't exactly expensive. If they make the car run better too, then that's the icing on the cake ;) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.