Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully people are aware of this forthcoming legislation.

From 1 October 2015 it will be illegal to smoke in a vehicle with anyone under 18 present.

The new law will apply in England and Wales.

Both the driver and the smoker could be fined £50. The law applies to every driver, including those aged 17 and those with a provisional driving licence.

The law does not apply if the driver is 17 years old and is on their own in the car.

The law is changing to protect children and young people from the dangers of secondhand smoke.

Find out more at www.gov.uk/smokefreecars.

I am sure a few people might have a rant :rant: about the nanny state England is becoming,

however there are parents around who smoke in the presence of their children in the car, so maybe it is needed, maybe not?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
That law is bound to make few people very angry.
However, no one was ever allowed to smoke in my car, so my friend,relatives and colleagues are well trained already :lol:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use to smoke in the car but not now and it was never with anyone in with me.

I'm doing Stoptober this year too. Well going to attempt it

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't think drivers should be allowed to smoke in cars at all, for what it's worth, but if you're selfish enough to smoke with kids in the car you deserve everything you get, hopefully a fine might force some people to change their ways, if it's even enforced.

In saying that I've seen a number of cars with kids climbing unrestrained around the cabin, and not in proper car seats either, some people just don't care.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
I think the writing was on the wall with this one... It does make sense from a health perspective, but probably won't make a massive difference at the end of the day imo; let's face it, adults who smoke when their kids are in the car probably smoke elsewhere (such as a house) with the kids present, and that's not illegal is it?!
It did seem a little daft to hear of Police stopping people for drinking or eating whilst in control of a vehicle but not someone who was sparking up; same difference imo! Then again, maybe it does happen, but we just don't hear about it... :)

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
I have never been able to understand why its illegal to use a mobile phone but not if you smoke and drive. Unless I am missing something here you can't smoke without taking your hand off the wheel so surely you are not fully in control. I thought that it would have made sense to ban smoking in cars, if you need to smoke why not pull over as with mobiles and get out of the car. I certainly agree that children should be protected as a minimum.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I am an x smoker of 10 years now. I admit I enjoyed smoking we'd smoke everywhere , in the office the pub the car the restaurant , we knew the dangers then and they have not changed much , i don't like seeing children in a car full of smoke, but they probably are subjected to it at home and let's face it, these types of people that do this to their children are past educating, hardly see any police on the roads these days, so how they will police it I don't know , i had a right go at a woman at school she had 4 children in the car and was smoking , I said to to her is it really necessary to smoke while they in the car and can't she just wait till they in school. She told me to **** off and mind my own business ! this is the mentality of these people, it does anger me,

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Saw a woman yesterday driving with a dog on her lap. Regularly see 5 seater cars with more than 4 passengers. See mobile phone drivers EVERY day.

My RS failed its MOT last week for a broken (but still located) spring, but there are cars on the road with many MOT failure defects - again yesterday, I told a van driver that all his brake lights were out - "Oh", he said, "I only thought one was out" - that's OK then....

It's all down to enforcement. No police = no enforcement. Traffic cameras cannot detect most traffic offences. Some may put this down to "cuts", but motoring crime has long been low on the list for all UK governments, unless it is speed related (since this can be detected by camera).....

So, this is a toothless law, albeit right. To be honest, the law on driving with due care has always been there. Making it smoking a specific law is really only to generate publicity IMHO.

Might stop folk nonchalantly lobbing burning material out thier windows into my face though... #ThinkBiker

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
I have never been able to understand why its illegal to use a mobile phone but not if you smoke and drive. Unless I am missing something here you can't smoke without taking your hand off the wheel so surely you are not fully in control. I thought that it would have made sense to ban smoking in cars, if you need to smoke why not pull over as with mobiles and get out of the car. I certainly agree that children should be protected as a minimum.
Whilst I do not smoke in my car (nor my house) I do have at least two remaining brain cells which would enable me to both smoke and drive at the same time.

You need to take one hand of the wheel to scratch your balls, but they are not thinking of banning that.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
In my view it's a good thing. Smoking whilst driving is a danger in many ways, one is being able to control the car effectively, two is the harm done to children and three is the risk of dropping the cigarette and starting a fire.

But who's going to enforce it? A speed camera? No coppers about anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
The need to have such legislation stems from people who will fill their car with cigarette smoke whilst young children are in the back.

It's a damning reality that there are actually people alive who don't see the issue or problem with this. Hence the legislators hands are twisted to ensure legislation is in place to 'force' those who do this to comply.

A sad indictment of a section of the population IMO.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Whilst I do not smoke in my car (nor my house) I do have at least two remaining brain cells which would enable me to both smoke and drive at the same time.

You need to take one hand of the wheel to scratch your balls, but they are not thinking of banning that.
I don't think this law is anything to do with ability to control the car, rather it's about the children in the car being exposed to smoke.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I'm an ex smoker and used to love smoking in the car (on my own) and certainly don't think it detracted from my control of the car. However, the panic when I flicked it out of the window and it came back in I agree is very dangerous.
I agree with Lisa that some poor kids will be subject to much worse at home- at least now they'll get some respite in the car!
I think the new law is a very good idea.

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts

Not if you scratch both balls at the same time and what would happen if you had an accident and were knocked unconscious whilst smoking your balls may be the least of your problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.