Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Side Light Led Bulb Help

Hi all,

Just a quick forum post to ask if anyone has replaced their side light bulbs for T10 leds?. I replaced mines with leds a few months back, but have changed the bulbs several times due to them failing/flickering. This might of been because I bought these pack of 10 off Ebay for a few quid, so probably cheap nasty leds:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/170729738089?_mwBanner=1

Anyway, if anyone has replaced their side light bulbs to led ones and they are decent, maybe you could let me know where you got them from?.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
I purchased my side light led's from Torquesteer just after I purchased the car in 2009 and still going strong. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
276 Posts
yeah they are awful LED's. I bought them and they all failed.

Get yourself some Cree LED's and you will be sorted for good. :nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-WHITE-CREE-HIGH-POWER-CANBUS-50W-501-W5W-T10-SIDELIGHT-LED-BULBS-12V-24V-/251442116778?hash=item3a8b1e38aa
I got something similar and they were too long to fit in the side lights properly, so got the osram ones afterwards.

Because I still had them, I've just fit them to my motorbike because they can fit in there no problem, **** me, think I've just burned my retinas by looking at them, they're brighter than my actual halogen dipped beam by the looks of it, lol.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Fitted some cob led's to my boot light and glovebox light. They are very bright and don't get as hot as the Cree ones. Sorry not got link as purchased them a while back but if you search on the bay for cob led's you'll find them no probs. I also fitted red ones to the footwell lighting. 😎

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sorry for the revival folks but which of these do we think would suit best? There are these Alltronix ones or these by the same guys but are a set which look less directional and more aimed at ones which have a reflector around the socket (the first is one SMD in its own shroud so will be arrow straight ). Sorry for the faff but I'm paranoid about tarnishing the housing and needing a new light cluster...or worse ******* the electrics of the car in some way!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've stated before that personally I think the CREE LED's run too hot in continuous use, and you're likely to tarnish the reflector (which even happens on standard lamps)

If I was looking again now I'd give these a go.
Gah sorry chief youre right I remember youve sent me those before! I need to update my shopping list so I stop going around in circles :p

Cheers again mate!

·
Brake Testing Legend
4,165 Posts
Sorry for the revival folks but which of these do we think would suit best? There are these Alltronix ones or these by the same guys but are a set which look less directional and more aimed at ones which have a reflector around the socket (the first is one SMD in its own shroud so will be arrow straight ). Sorry for the faff but I'm paranoid about tarnishing the housing and needing a new light cluster...or worse :censored: the electrics of the car in some way!
I had the first ones & they ran really hot & didn't last long.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had the first ones & they ran really hot & didn't last long.
Fair do's mate I didn't expect that with them being single SMD tbh (though I don't actually expect it from any LED/SMD light...surely that's part of the beauty of them). My only concern is it says they're not road legal though how much brighter are they going to be than the stupid DRL's everyone has nowadays (which have been blinding me as a pedestrian all day today in broad daylight!)...at least I can keep the old ones and/or put them in my puddle lights should worst come to worst :)

·
Brake Testing Legend
4,165 Posts
Fair do's mate I didn't expect that with them being single SMD tbh (though I don't actually expect it from any LED/SMD light...surely that's part of the beauty of them). My only concern is it says they're not road legal though how much brighter are they going to be than the stupid DRL's everyone has nowadays (which have been blinding me as a pedestrian all day today in broad daylight!)...at least I can keep the old ones and/or put them in my puddle lights should worst come to worst :)
They are quite bright, probably why they run hot & don't last long :yep:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
They are quite bright, probably why they run hot & don't last long :yep:
Fair enough mate I wouldn't expect that with them being LED/SMD! Gone for the Philips X-tremes (in 4000k though more Xenon, less blue) and Osram fogs too!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Holy thread revival, but just ordered a set of the philips x treames from the above link including a free set of bulbs and including delivery it is currently only about £12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts