Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
If I am reading the instruction correctly then you have to say how much petrol you need before filling. Not much good if like me you just fill the car to the top as I would have no idea how much to purchase.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I am reading the instruction correctly then you have to say how much petrol you need before filling. Not much good if like me you just fill the car to the top as I would have no idea how much to purchase.
No you don't need to mate, just set a maximum spend more than your tank can take, once you've filled up it then takes payment and gives you receipt ;)
Haha.....must have missed that :laughing:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Think that mean don't use it outside the car, once you've scanned the qr code the app tells you to leave the phone in the car, the issue is if you make a call I think.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
How's this work then if you're not allowed to use your mobile phone at petrol pumps :unsure:

attachicon.gif
image.gif
Yes it has been questioned, and Shell state that it is no problem if you follow the instructions.

Let's be honest the whole using your mobile while filling up scaremongering is rubbish anyway, just as it is using it in a hospital and on an airplane

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've registered for it but don't drive enough to have used it yet! ...which reminds me I've got 2p off on Tesco FuelSave to use by next week...may tank it at the weekend :p

Yes it has been questioned, and Shell state that it is no problem if you follow the instructions.

Let's be honest the whole using your mobile while filling up scaremongering is rubbish anyway, just as it is using it in a hospital and on an airplane
The number of shows like Mythbusters and Brainiac that have tested it is immense and all proves it to be rubbish...certainly in filling stations anyway! And imagine the paranoia around the hospitals that are on aircraft...double the mobile-related 'peril'! :bleh:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The Myth - Using one's cell phone while pumping gasoline can cause an explosion.

Verdict - Busted

Notes - After singeing Adam's eyebrow in a scale test, the team attempts to ignite a mock filling station. A properly-working cell phone failed to ignite gasoline, even when surrounded by gasoline vapor with the optimum fuel-air mix for ignition. The actual risk comes from an electrostatic discharge between a charged driver and the car, often a result of static electricity buildup from getting into and out of the vehicle. When re-tested in Myths Revisited, the conclusion was validated.[1]

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
You don't have to, no. You can set it to £150 so that you don't have to worry about a "maximum" as such.

It's under your options. You just change the amount, £150 is the maximum on mine.

I use it every visit now, I find it so much easier/quicker than queueing.
May have a go in that case the next time I fill up.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great app, driving away though without giving any cash or, inserting a card makes you feel like the 5-0 maybe behind you soon.
Downside is without phone signal (data/3G) I don't think it will work.
As it was my first time using it yesterday I still went in the shop to make sure it worked lol!
Guy said it comes up with a phone icon on their screen to say it's been paid ;)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I too went into the shop first time I used it, just to check that the payment went through.
The only trouble I have is the nearest shell garage has no phone signal at all. Another plus, saves you buying loads of unnecessary stuff when you go into the shop !

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Please don't call a mobile phone a cell phone and please don't call petrol gasoline
Unless i've got the wrong end of the stick here, and @Yarde might correct me if i'm wrong, but that quote looks to be from an American website, written by Americans, so it might not be Michael's choice of words... :grin: :nice:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts