Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is normal to feel - I mean, in the end cars are just tools and we use them for a purpose. But cars are also objects into which we inject our own soul, time, passion, devotion and not just a little money.

I've had my RS for eleven years now. And for eleven years it's been the dearest object to my heart. The one thing my friends would always laugh at was never going to move from #1 on my priority list, even when my wife came along. And even when she did the car went from being a lust object for me to being a family member, and something that brought my wife and me together and brought a smile to her face as often as it did my own.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

I don't just like this car... I LOVE it. I love it with passion, with heart, soul, and it breaks my heart to do what I'm about to.

So what's happening? Well... Tomorrow a very respectable chap is coming by to look at it, and perhaps buy it from me. He's an agreeable person, and though I'm perhaps getting less money than I think I could (aren't we all), I'm not upset by his offer.

But as I sat yesterday, looking at all the receipts and documents, putting them in order for him, categorizing what was for what and separating the emissions test results from the annual service bills... My heart just started weeping, and I wanted to clutch those papers to my heart and just cry. I forgot all about the Mustang which is on its way to me, and just wanted to stop time and live with this car forever.

I'm not selling because I'm in financial dire straits. I'm selling because it's the right thing to do. The RS is now 12 years old. It needs care I can't give it. It needs a house with a garage - not to be parked on a street under a tree, an owner who knows how to maintain a car properly, and who uses it not as an everyday, year-round roundabout bandit daily driver but as something precious, a project car to work on in his spare time. That's exactly the sort of house it's going to (I hope), so I'm happy for the car... but...

Is it normal to be this heartbroken to lose your car? Or am I crazy? I can't help it, I'm completely in pieces today. I can't get any work done in the office, I'm just... broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Know what you mean....never thought it was possible to feel the way I do about the RS!

Get ribbed all the time by my mates about it but it's worth it, it means even more when you have put time effort and cash into making it how you want. Still look back after parking it almost 5 years down the line, that has to say something.

Looking at houses at the moment and doing everything I can to keep it, would be heartbreaking to have to let it go but something has to give at some point I guess.

What are you replacing it with?

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Sad times indeed. I owned my RS1600i for 19 years and I cried like a baby when I sold her. Like you, I knew it was best for the car. I always said I'd never sell her, unless it was to someone who'd take her to the shows again. That person arrived, so I let her go. They are not just metal. They really become a huge part of your life.

On a happier note. I was reunited with her at National Day this year. She still had all the decals I'd put in her windows all those years ago. It was like going back in time seeing her again.

·
Premium Member
9,997 Posts
aaaw that sucks man... :sad:
Shame you couldn't take it off the road and then one day bring it back but you gotta do what ya gotta do... :yep:
:)

·
Premium Member
23,437 Posts
They affect people in different ways, i had my Sierra XR4i for 13 years, when it went to be replaced by the RS, it didn't bother me one bit even though it was a car i really liked (i dont 'love' cars, that's for people, friends & family!).

Do i miss it, yes, but i dont get sentimental about cars, as you say, they are just tools & objects.

Had my RS over 6 years now, if i had to sell it or chop it in for something else, i'd be the same, it's just a car, yes, a good car but still a car.

Had my motorbike for 27 years, that i will never sell, mainly because i dont need to, nothing i want to replace it with & something that's been with me for too long now. Am i attached to it, yes, would it affect me if i did sell it ......... maybe a little, but not enough to make me sad as i know it would be replaced by something better! :nice:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Know what you mean....never thought it was possible to feel the way I do about the RS!

What are you replacing it with?
Me neither, man. This car and I have grown up together though. So many firsts, so many pivotal moments in my life. We faced fears together and shed tears together. 11 years is a huge chunk of someone's life.

It's not all sadness of course because at some point this winter there's a Deep Impact Blue 2015 Mustang GT coming to my driveway. Here's hoping that this stallion and myself will forge ahead and make new memories :)

Sad times indeed. I owned my RS1600i for 19 years and I cried like a baby when I sold her. Like you, I knew it was best for the car. I always said I'd never sell her, unless it was to someone who'd take her to the shows again. That person arrived, so I let her go. They are not just metal. They really become a huge part of your life.

On a happier note. I was reunited with her at National Day this year. She still had all the decals I'd put in her windows all those years ago. It was like going back in time seeing her again.
Here's hoping the same thing happens to me :) It sounds like a wonderful reunion. And I know all about the 'I'll never sell her' vows. I've been there so many times.

aaaw that sucks man... :sad:
Shame you couldn't take it off the road and then one day bring it back but you gotta do what ya gotta do... :yep:
:)
I had this same thought over and over again, and financially I could probably swing it - in the end though... I live in an apartment and the car is parked on the street in front of my building, in a part of town where the average car ownership is .69 cars per household. I simply don't have the infrastructure to have a car which I don't drive every day. And this is becoming a little too old and too special to be used as a daily driver, parked under a tree on a public street.

I know in my heart it's the right thing to do, for the car and for me.

I just can't bring myself to realize that there will come a day soon when I'll look out of my bedroom window and it won't be there.

It's always been there.

Thanks guys. I mean it.

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Any chance you could keep it. I remember selling a very quick Mini (I watched the car being hand built) and purchased an MGB, worst thing I ever did, it was awful. Went from one of the quickest cars on the road to one of the slowest I have never got over it and even now wished I had kept it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When I sold my first FW RS was a terrible day terrible night I cried lots , but we had to sell raise some cash urgent and that's the decision that we made , but a few months down the line we back in another , i feel your pain and I'm sure a lot of others do, what about storage , is that a possibility ?!

·
Registered
750 Posts
JaneRS, on 25 Sept 2015 - 09:41, said:

How odd, I too owned my RS1600i for 19 years :nice:

Feel your pain man, my time to part ways is coming soon, and I too will miss the RS :nice:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any chance you could keep it. I remember selling a very quick Mini (I watched the car being hand built) and purchased an MGB, worst thing I ever did, it was awful. Went from one of the quickest cars on the road to one of the slowest I have never got over it and even now wished I had kept it.
See the thread I've just started Andi..........
Ha ha, thanks guys for making it easier on me ;)

Like I mentioned above, it's parked on the street outside my apartment building, so I have nowhere to keep it, really. No garage or somewhere it can spend the winter, no place to tinker with it or work on it, nowhere to store it, I just don't have the infrastructure. I need to have one car, and drive that car to work and back, winter and summer. And, well, the Mustang's coming so the space does need to be cleared. Whatever the Mk1 culture lands in, I need to sell the car, as sad as it is.

Articles like that do hurt though :D

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Perfectly normal if you value something you are going to miss it. I hated selling my Focus mk1 RS when it was time to collect the mk2, but at the time I did not have the garage space for more than one car, nor the time to do it justice re the TLC it required.

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Ha ha, thanks guys for making it easier on me ;)

Like I mentioned above, it's parked on the street outside my apartment building, so I have nowhere to keep it, really. No garage or somewhere it can spend the winter, no place to tinker with it or work on it, nowhere to store it, I just don't have the infrastructure. I need to have one car, and drive that car to work and back, winter and summer. And, well, the Mustang's coming so the space does need to be cleared. Whatever the Mk1 culture lands in, I need to sell the car, as sad as it is.

Articles like that do hurt though :D
Any chance it could be housed in a car museum. I remember that I was offered a place in BL Heritage museum when I owned a Triumph TR6 as they didn't have one on display. I declined but the car would have been looked after kept immaculate and I could have it back when ever I wanted.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any chance it could be housed in a car museum. I remember that I was offered a place in BL Heritage museum when I owned a Triumph TR6 as they didn't have one on display. I declined but the car would have been looked after kept immaculate and I could have it back when ever I wanted.
Great idea! I really don't know where I'd start looking though, we don't have too many of those things in Sweden. I guess the value of the RS brand isn't as strong here as it is in the UK, people aren't really 'aware' of the existence of these cars in general. At least the guy I'm selling it to is pretty well stooped in the RS mythology.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.