Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post (after my hello), is there any information as to what the security arrangements will be for the MK3 RS ?

I only ask, as we all know the nightmare for some with the MK2.

Is it still keyless ? Is it the same system, or have Ford realised something needs changing for the new model.

Cheers, and hello.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
There is a quote somewhere on here from Ford stating that they will be introducing measures to combat OBD related thefts, but no details have yet surfaced.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
There is a quote somewhere on here from Ford stating that they will be introducing measures to combat OBD related thefts, but no details have yet surfaced.
Correct saw something to that effect in The Sunday Times.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
It's not just the OBD port you should be worried about. They could always lift it up and take it, etc. You need a good deterrent and way of getting it back quickly. Look into aftermarket alarms and possibly a tracker. I wouldn't rely on Ford to let you sleep well at night.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
Correct saw something to that effect in The Sunday Times.
My memory is getting worse, I should really know where it is as it was me that spoke to the Sunday Times reporter :lol:

"Ford says it is working on technology for new cars to stop thieves turning off the alarm via the diagnostic port and programming key fobs if the alarm is activated. There will also be more protection for existing vehicles"

http://www.focusrsoc.com/forums/topic/172258-members-who-have-had-their-rs-stolen/

·
Registered
657 Posts
Personally I'll be getting a disk lock and relocating the obd port but if they are organised enough to take it with them in place then not much will stop them and it'll prob be on a container before the police act on anything so gap insurance will jump into action ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can anyone confirm the location of the OBD port in the new RS? Is it as readily accessible in the car as the mark 2?
If its the same type I assume that locks etc that fit the mark 2 port will also work?

Nik

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can anyone confirm the location of the OBD port in the new RS? Is it as readily accessible in the car as the mark 2?
If its the same type I assume that locks etc that fit the mark 2 port will also work?

Nik
If it's the same as the Mk3 ST it's in roughly the same place as the Mk2 albeit hidden behind a coin holder.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I see most people are including the Lux option on their orders despite keyless being a part of this. Are people not concerned about the security implications of this? Let's face it, these cars are going to be the next hot target for thieves, like the Golf R is at present.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
I see most people are including the Lux option on their orders despite keyless being a part of this. Are people not concerned about the security implications of this? Let's face it, these cars are going to be the next hot target for thieves, like the Golf R is at present.
They will all have keyless start irrespective of the Lux pack.

Keyless entry isn't the issue security wise

·
Registered
179 Posts
I deliberately did not spec keyless on my 2015 Golf R. I would prefer not to have it on the 2016 Focus RS, however it's part of the pack which I want.

The Golf R house break in's are awful and ****ty.

Stay safe protecting your car but most of all stay alive, no car is worth your life or well being.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
@Tony'mac @Jah-RS @theneone @Rich @stupot @Eddy1309 @Niklard @Sean B@jon vital @Graham @Denboro @Marc Gliddon @Clive

Let's face it guys at the end of the day neither Ford or any other manufacturer are going to be declaring details of their latest security measures.

Take it from me that vehicle security is changing all the time, however sometimes the underlying electrical architecture may be a limiting factor and I am not saying it is.

The industry as a whole including thacham are constantly changing standards and specifications.
If people are sufficiently interested there is a link in the vehicle security section on this forum to the thatcham site to see what is implemented, may not be there yet though as first production car has not yet left the line.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What annoys me is that they wire the OBD port to a permanent live. So it's active all the time. Why not just wire I through the ignition so it's only active when the key is present. Is it really that hard for a dealer to have to switch the ignition on when they plug in diagnostic equipment. Correct me if I'm wrong but why should the OBD port have to be permanently live.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
What annoys me is that they wire the OBD port to a permanent live. So it's active all the time. Why not just wire I through the ignition so it's only active when the key is present. Is it really that hard for a dealer to have to switch the ignition on when they plug in diagnostic equipment. Correct me if I'm wrong but why should the OBD port have to be permanently live.
And when there is an ignition or start circuit problem ?
How is the dealer or thanks to block exemption rules, any Independant garage supposed to access the cars diagnostics to get fault codes?

Matt I am not directing this at you, just the generic question you raise, which is good, but too many owners forget or do not know that OBD port access is defined within a European government regulation that the manufacturers have to comply with.

Personally I don't see why genuine workshops shouldn't pay a registration fee or something to vehicle manufacturers to access data, they won't as they would winge that there are dozens of manufacturers all with different systems etc etc etc.

So I don't totally blame the manufacturers, as some are more pro-active or communicative than others.

·
Registered
657 Posts
And when there is an ignition or start circuit problem ?
How is the dealer or thanks to block exemption rules, any Independant garage supposed to access the cars diagnostics to get fault codes?
Matt I am not directing this at you, just the generic question you raise, which is good, but too many owners forget or do not know that OBD port access is defined within a European government regulation that the manufacturers have to comply with.
Personally I don't see why genuine workshops shouldn't pay a registration fee or something to vehicle manufacturers to access data, they won't as they would winge that there are dozens of manufacturers all with different systems etc etc etc.
So I don't totally blame the manufacturers, as some are more pro-active or communicative than others.
While ford should make some effort to stop the multiple thefts of their cars there are plenty of things we can do aftermarket to make the job much harder for the ***** that steal them. As Dave says a lot of stuff is mandated by the EU and other bodies etc so it's not so simple for ford.

The reason they get stolen is because they are so in demand ;) so it's a win lose situation either way.

As stated in my previous post a disk lock as a clear visual and hiding the obd port will put of most of the scum but if they know what they are doing and really want to take it....... Then it's going to go.

As much as trackers are a good idea..... I'd rather spend the money on gap insurance, get a new carand not have the original car back after these particular types have had a good old joy ride in it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.