Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I love the 'Vulcan howl' as it spools up - no other sound like it, and one of the first aircraft sounds I ever heard when my dad took me to my first air show when I was a kid. :thumbsup:

Me and Julie will be going to Dunsfold in a few weeks, as I simply have to see it fly one last time before it is grounded. I will have a tear in my eye for sure. :cry:

My dad was in the RAF and these aircraft actually come before cars for me - they are in my blood!

My favourite was the Lightning, but there are so many types gone now. Flying displays used to last all day with maybe 15-20 different current military aircraft, but we will be left with just the Typhoon and the F-35 in just a few years - that is if they can afford to fly them for air shows.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Saw this at Fairford last month, a great aircraft and people were clapping when it landed, very emotional. Great couple of days and loads of flying.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I know it's a plane ........... but what is it? :blush: :whistle:
Sacrilege Gareth!.. :facepalm: It's a Vulcan. As Clarkson says, you should be taken out the back and shot! :smile:

It comes from the time when we had a proper Aerospace industry, not just one that builds 'bits', like my company. We were arguably the best in the world then.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
My fav jet .. I love the fast jets, I spent 2 years Living at RAF Coltishall with the Jaguar's ... Fast jets and fast car's ......................Heaven! :smile:

·
Premium Member
23,424 Posts
Sacrilege Gareth!.. :facepalm: It's a Vulcan. As Clarkson says, you should be taken out the back and shot! :smile:

It comes from the time when we had a proper Aerospace industry, not just one that builds 'bits', like my company. We were arguably the best in the world then.
Thanks for the info Rob. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I love the 'Vulcan howl' as it spools up - no other sound like it, and one of the first aircraft sounds I ever heard when my dad took me to my first air show when I was a kid. :thumbsup:

Me and Julie will be going to Dunsfold in a few weeks, as I simply have to see it fly one last time before it is grounded. I will have a tear in my eye for sure. :cry:

My dad was in the RAF and these aircraft actually come before cars for me - they are in my blood!

My favourite was the Lightning, but there are so many types gone now. Flying displays used to last all day with maybe 15-20 different current military aircraft, but we will be left with just the Typhoon and the F-35 in just a few years - that is if they can afford to fly them for air shows.
Yeh, I know what you mean, I see the old shows at places like greenham common with the planes they had on display, and I'm so jealous, really feel like I missed out..

I love the Vulcan and everything it stands for.. It fly's over my house every year on its way to the Bournemouth airshow, always make sure I'm in for that.

I remember working in Farnborough a few years back on the week of the airshow, the Vulcan with five red arrows in a v around it, seriously low, right above us, simply awesome.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
The Vulcan is a fantastic looking and sounding Jet. It harks back to the great days of the V bombers including the Victor and the Valiant, plus the Daddy of all fast jets the Lightning, what a plane that was.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Seen this at RAF leuchars one year. Some machine! Think it's the only one of 7 running now. Correct me if I'm wrong. Last flights this year then it's being grounded.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
This is the best video I have found of the famous and foreboding Vulcan 'howl'. No other sound like it.

It's apparently due to the acoustics of all the air being forced in to the engine intake; a bit like blowing over the top of a bottle!

Watch to the end for a bit of a laugh with the cars parked up! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts