Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently according to the WHO the newest cause of cancer on the block is processed meat. From what I gather I eat most of their recommended weekly intake by lunchtime on Monday. Would I give up eating it, nope, just try and take my bacon :hardnut:

Any other thoughts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It will all change again in while , I say eat drink and be merry , could get run over by a bus tomorrow , I've worked in many meat processing places and seen all sorts of **** going on, most processed stuff is full of lips and Rsoles putting it bluntly , I found a pigs nipple in a packet of pork scratchings once , put me off for life !

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Absolute :f: ! There's been so many U-turns over the years, what to do and what not to do, I think even the WHO has lost their way imo! :facepalm: :smile: We'll all turn into stressed, sad, precious Hypochondriacs who don't ever go out and live a little. As said above, something's going to get you, just enjoy life, you only get one shot at it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Well if that's true I'm 50% better off than I was 10 years ago, and no, I didn't quit eating sausage or bacon

This might seem a dumb question but what's the definition of processed? I wouldn't normally call bacon processed. If it's reformed from the floor scrapings then I wouldn't eat it anyway.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Cured and processed meats such as sausages, salami, bacon and ham are now categorised alongside asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco as Group 1 Carcinogens. Red Meats are in Group 2A meaning that they are probably carcinogenic to humans. I believe we need to get this into some form of perspective. We already know a diet high in processed foods is inadvisable particularly as these foodstuffs contain very high level of salt which is not good for the heart and circulatory system. However, moderation is the word and it is important that diets are varied to give a balanced intake of essential minerals and vitamins. Like so many other things in life, the occasional indulgence in those things we enjoy because they taste so :f: good cannot be harmful to us provided in doesn't become an obsession or addiction. Obesity is still the single most dominant factor in determining predisposal to the major illnesses.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Apparently according to the WHO the newest cause of cancer on the block is processed meat. From what I gather I eat most of their recommended weekly intake by lunchtime on Monday. Would I give up eating it, nope, just try and take my bacon :hardnut:

Any other thoughts
Not quite what they said now is it - all about the context

The WHO has come to the conclusion on the advice of its International Agency for Research on Cancer, which assesses the best available scientific evidence.

It has now placed processed meat in the same category as plutonium, but also alcohol as they definitely do cause cancer.

However, this does not mean they are equally dangerous. A bacon sandwich is not as bad as smoking.

The Beeb did a stat which helps sum it up - 3% of all Cancers can be attributed to red meat whereas 84% of lung cancer can be attributed to Smoking

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Well if that's true I'm 50% better off than I was 10 years ago, and no, I didn't quit eating sausage or bacon

This might seem a dumb question but what's the definition of processed? I wouldn't normally call bacon processed. If it's reformed from the floor scrapings then I wouldn't eat it anyway.
Beeb have done a good job of explaining this as well to be fair to them -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621

Processed meat has been modified to either extend its shelf life or change the taste and the main methods are smoking, curing, or adding salt or preservatives.

Simply putting beef through a mincer does not mean the resulting mince is "processed" unless it is modified further.

Processed meat includes bacon, sausages, hot dogs, salami, corned beef, beef jerky and ham as well as canned meat and meat-based sauces.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.