Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rusty rear arches sorted at the start of the summer last year & when washing the car today I noticed that they have started to come through again.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle door Wood
Tire Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Fender

Looks like I'll need to take a run over to the body shop.

Is it just me or with these cars now being 5-6 years old they are starting to need things sorted!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you got the inner arch applied with any type of rust proof?
They sorted it last year & stripped it all down, not sure why it has came back so soon.

I'm sure they'll sort it no bother, but just annoying more than anything else

·
Registered
795 Posts
Rust its a shame that in this day with all the so called rust products out there this happens. That should not have come back if it was sorted properly. I use por 15 products now and it seems to work,my inner arches will be done soon so hopefully i will combat this for a while. I had a classic impreza which was washed and polished all the time ,that rusted on the rear wheel arch under the filler cap....they all do it, this was actually one reason why i sold the car as i could not be doing with it. Many on here will remember the real old fords that would rust infront of your very eyes. Occasionally i will see an old ford driven by some old git and it looks like new how do they do it. The only way to stop this is to cut the section out and put new metal in its a shame on such a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Rust its a shame that in this day with all the so called rust products out there this happens. That should not have come back if it was sorted properly. I use por 15 products now and it seems to work,my inner arches will be done soon so hopefully i will combat this for a while. I had a classic impreza which was washed and polished all the time ,that rusted on the rear wheel arch under the filler cap....they all do it, this was actually one reason why i sold the car as i could not be doing with it. Many on here will remember the real old fords that would rust infront of your very eyes. Occasionally i will see an old ford driven by some old git and it looks like new how do they do it. The only way to stop this is to cut the section out and put new metal in its a shame on such a beautiful thing.
Bit drastic for surface rust, cleaning back to bare metal, treating with rust inhibitor and using rust preventative primer will do the job if applied correctly.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The top picky looks a bit more than surface rust ....i may be looking at it wrong. My uncle has a mk1 and we have tried everything to stop his arches from rotting out...all sorts of rust remedies and every time after about 7 months sure enough it comes back. As i said try por 15 these products seem very good but this sounds like it was done in a body shop....so in theory done right and its back.my impreza was done properly as you say and it came back .

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ps i have a guy who lives behind me who does welding etc as a hobbywhen he grinds back his welds and cuts metal all the small particles travel in the air and land on the cars in our cul de sac.its not bad but you have to clean off very quickly anything that looks like it might rust cos once its there its there. Cant wait to move and get my rs into a garage out of harms way. I have ocd so when i do anything on my cars its done over the top.......this may also be a cause of rust as i wash em so much .....not saying it is but it has crossed my mind

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Naughty boys, not been thorough have they.. Just lazy that, easily stopped if done right.
That's the thing, I'm confident that it was done right, the whole back of the car was stripped down, bumper off, wheels arch liners out the lot, the the whole lot was proofed and painting right round the lip.

Confusing???????

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rust is the cancer of the car world.
Done jobs where after 10 years it hasent reared it's ugly head then you get some instances where it's back in no time.
Even if it's cut out and welded in it still doesn't guarantee that it's not going to come back the thing with the arches are that it's a area that is exposed to a lot of things that harm the paint and steal.
All you can do is keep on top of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts