Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, newbie here been about 2 weeks in so far with mk2 owner ship. Discovered when cleaning tonight a small bubble or rust on the rear wheel arch drivers side, can also see paint beginning to fall away (very small amounts) to the inside lip of the arch. Service book is fully stamped from ford, as is the Perforation warranty section as well, every stamp. I'm sure there give me the stone chips bull ****, but this is clearly a bubble of rust on a unbroken painted surface. Any one else had this and have you claimed against ford with some success?

Full ford history

Paint depth gauge reading as normal original paint to a surfaces.

Good news only peeps😂😂

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Can't offer any news apart from it's common on both the MK2 ST & RS.

Typically it's where the bumper starts to rub on the arch but try telling Ford that.

Some have been lucky but from what I've previously read, Ford will indeed wriggle their way out of it unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Can't offer any news apartt from it's common on both the MK2 ST & RS.
Typically it's where the bumper starts to rub on the arch but try telling Ford that.
Some have been lucky but from what I've previously read, Ford will indeed wriggle their way out of it unfortunately.
+1

This was mine at 30k 4 years old

20140617_122137_zpszndeertk.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Much more worryingly than the usual wheel arch is the roof near the tailgate! My first car (a 2005 Focus Mk2 Zetec Climate) I sold to a family member and looking at it today I noticed it is absolutely covered in rust all around where the tailgate hinges meet the roof and just outside the boot seal, crazy!

Not saying that'll necessarily happen to our RS's but it's the same shape car at +5 years, so just keep an eye out chaps!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I know it doesn't look good, but it would never go any further than a bit of light surface corrosion. I'm pretty sure all shells are galvanised these days so big time rust and rot is a thing of the past but it's difficult to completely get rid of it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Both my rear arches are the same, I feel your pain. The previous owners of my car didn't bother with the paint inspection so I'm not even wasting my time with Ford.

I've also got rust under my passenger door caused by the door being mounted slightly too low and rubbing the sill.

Got it booked in next month £500 for the door, sill and both rear quarters. Not too bad considering.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Would still be worth a visit to the dealer just to see rather than paying for it doing first.
But as above know what they can be like I worked at a main dealer body shop ( not a ford one ) and trying to get something from the dealership for my car at the time was like getting blood from a stone the body shop was on a different site so don't think they liked us.

Ask them to submit a claim to Ford as the dealer claims the cost back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been into main dealer today. Photos taken by the estimater for body work. Been told will have an answer in 2 weeks. Will wait and see

·
Registered
263 Posts
Been into main dealer today. Photos taken by the estimater for body work. Been told will have an answer in 2 weeks. Will wait and see
It's worth trying as you have kept you side of the maintenance by having the servicing and body checks done by a ford dealer.
The location of the rust should make it difficult to blame on stone chips.
And like I said it's worth a try the worst they can do is knock the claim back.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep us updated.
If they honour the claim and the rust comes back they should do any further work if it re-appears as long as the stamps are kept up to date for the remainder of the 12 year anti perforation warranty as they wold have carried out the work in the first place.
Hope it goes well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rust work has been authorised by ford motor company. Going into more depth the work will be completed to both sides.. 14 hours plus paint and materials has been authorised. Plus they will seal correctly between the liner and the arch so it doesn't happen again. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. Faith is back in ford for sure we'll done guys:) no stone chips fob off nothing just a straight forward yes we will fix that sir 👍👍👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Good to hear that Ford have started to come good.
I had to send a solicitor's letter to Ford HQ to get bad paintwork sorted on my brand new Focus RS, it wasn't even mismatched paintwork as some, but smudges in the paint under the lacquer, which I failed to see on collection.
I will never buy another new Ford after the poor service I received.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
+1 - so which dealer, where and who did you talk to.....

Do you have any pictures you can post?

This thread will be a good bit of evidence for me (and others) who will (eventually) need to speak to Ford about this...

One of my arches is starting to go, just can see / feel the bubbles, paint has not yet broken through....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Booked in for 3 weeks time. There a busy shop so a little wait but that's fine with me all sealed and painted before winter good times.. Will pull her out tomorrow and take a photo of the issue. Post up on here and will post up the fixed photos when it's done. Might only last a year or 2 but least there shelling out and it's on record as being an issue. Took 2 weeks from when I made the visit to getting the ok. Dealer is premier ford on the Isle of Wight 👍 Speak to body shop estimatee dan

1 - 20 of 48 Posts