Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How surprised was you when they brought out the STD?
Anyone fancy a RSD?
I personally don't think it would ever happen nor would I want it to but just good for thought.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That's not a totally stupid suggestion. After all the car is now global for reasons of demand, some of us still debate weather that in itself is that a good or bad thing for the :rs: brand, so all it needs is demand to justify it and knowing ford they will make it :rofl:

·
Administrator
49,107 Posts
Well you can get a Diesel Focus ST , so why not a Diesel Focus RS (if you really want to look at it this way) :facepalm:

·
Registered
557 Posts
10 years ago we were all laughing at Hybrids, now there the driving force of F1 and diesels have won Le Mans for the last how many years?

Yes they are Audi's so they may have cheated and used a petrol engine that can burn diesel.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I don't see the market for it. If you want a fast, comfortable diesel, go for the ST. It even comes in an estate. job done :yep:

Only with a big increase of engine size and weight would it be possible to produce enough performance to deserve an :rs: badge. This would also make it less focussed to drive and take away from the whole point of an :rs: .

I don't think any of the other manufacturers have thought of doing a 'top of the pyramid' performance diesel either. :nope:

To be clear, I think there is definitely a market for sporty performance diesels, but just not in the very top tier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I would have that reaction.
Surprised I haven't been booted out the RSOC just for mentioning it.
I remember in 2007 when I got my new mk2 St that my mate said he wouldn't be able to afford to run one,
and let's be honest..
The 2.5 lump is a Juicy engine for those with a heavy right foot.
He mentioned that he would jump at the offer of a diesel version..
Well...
You could imagine, about 5 of us ST owners around him at the time just fell on the floor laughing.
Then roll on 7 years, I go to pick up my new mk3 ST and hey presto..
There is a STD right there in the order books.
Me personally.
No thanks.
I'm looking forward to getting my new RS in March.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Im going to go against the grain here and say why not,

The reason why id have one is down the the fact that modern diesels produce bundles of torque, power wise they are getting better and better.

I mean look at the bmw diesel range they produce so much torque its unreal, I had my ex bosses 335 twin turbo diesel mapped and he was destroying m3's and other high powered vehicles, the torque would literally pin you in your seat

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Im going to go against the grain here and say why not,

The reason why id have one is down the the fact that modern diesels produce bundles of torque, power wise they are getting better and better.

I mean look at the bmw diesel range they produce so much torque its unreal, I had my ex bosses 335 twin turbo diesel mapped and he was destroying m3's and other high powered vehicles, the torque would literally pin you in your seat
It would be great, and I think ford missed a trick when they could have sourced the powerful D5 unit from the Volvo and put it in the mk2 ST.

Saying that I still don't see it being :rs: branded, when in ST guise it would be most suited.

Even BMW don't do the true M cars in diesel even though the 335d unit is very quick (but we found a little unreliable :facepalm: )

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It would be great, and I think ford missed a trick when they could have sourced the powerful D5 unit from the Volvo and put it in the mk2 ST.

Saying that I still don't see it being :rs: branded, when in ST guise it would be most suited.

Even BMW don't do the true M cars in diesel even though the 335d unit is very quick (but we found a little unreliable :facepalm: )
Skoda Fabis VRS...... That was a diesel and sold like hot cakes :nice: Got good reviews also at the time for the points MR420 made about modern diesel cars :yep:

Lets also not forget the Audi TT diesels which seem to do rather well also :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Unlikely - no one else is using a diesel as their topline performance models, yes the have a sporty diesel but not the headliner - also I think you can expect a turnaround in diesel popularity as Gov't will now need to show willing to limit emissions on a whole not just co2.

I drive a 330d it's as good as they get in feeling like an old M3 did apart from the revs don't climb like the old 3.2 engine did, mostly that's masked by the brilliant 8speed box using 413lbft at will

The Alpina D3 Biturbo is the fastest production diesel car and worth a read - http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alpina/d3

1 - 20 of 49 Posts