Focus RS Forum banner

RS buying advice

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Richie81 
#1 ·
Hi guys

im thinking about buying an RS but would like to pick a few brains here on the matter.

Ill be honest and say i dont know much about buying cars. I’ve found one that seems really nice below average miles at £25k just shy. Firstly is that a good price to buy one? 2011 looks great condition full service history.

its from a dealership who have great reviews with all car checked over etc by them warranty, extended warranty etc
Im thinking of paying for a pre purchase inspection from rac or someone like that. The garage said absolutely fine. Thing is its had 6 owners, thats the only thing worrying me. Another is it hasnt had cambelt changed, they said because its under milage but its 2 years over dueHow much roughly is cambelt and should i get the garage to agree to do service, mot and cambelt for the deal? Is that fair?

hopefully looking at it this weekend.
Cheers

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome :) i hopped over from the ST form. Sorry I didn’t introduce my self im alittle over my head. Thanks for the advice will check it out.

I would argue with their claim of an FSH as the cambelt and waterpump should have been done at 10 years regardless of mileage. I would keep looking as it is obvious that one of the former owners has been skimping on the servicing and the dealers are not telling you the truth
Good point. Hmm
Only reason im keen on this is it has 30k miles. Im abit reluctant to spend 25k on something with more miles. I think what ill do is email them and query what you said see what they say.
thanks for the advice

#6 ·
If the cam belt hasn't been done, might be wise to go through everything with a fine tooth-comb - there will no doubt be other things that have been neglected or will require doing at some stage, that haven't been done at the right interval - a pre-purchase inspection may be a good move. Good luck with the search 👍🏻😎

#10 · (Edited)
Yes good idea. I have asked if they would include cambelt/water pump service and mot. I also asked them to explain the service history situation.

I use a site called "Car Vertical" for any purchases. It gives you a detailed report ranging from first registration date, MOT history, including advisories. Also includes mileage checks, any accident damage, outstanding finance, etc.

Car Vertical

There are numerous options for purchasing reports, and any number of discount codes that can be applied, the one I use is "MAT" for those in the know, that's Matt Armstrong

Best of luck with your purchase
thanks alot, you guys seem alot friendlier than the ST boys lol

yes great idea. I was going to do just that if all was checking out. Seen car vertical advertised on High peaks Autos. Wasnt sure which history checker was good but thats one nod for Car Vertical so might just give them a go then;)
Is it the one with the white spoiler on autotrader?
yeah thats the one, exactly
If the cam belt hasn't been done, might be wise to go through everything with a fine tooth-comb - there will no doubt be other things that have been neglected or will require doing at some stage, that haven't been done at the right interval - a pre-purchase inspection may be a good move. Good luck with the search 👍🏻😎
Thanks alot :)

If Cam belt etc not done then get them.to do it if they want your business.I am the 6th owner of my car which has full history..dont let that put you off.
ill try not to let it bother me :ROFLMAO: back of my mind seems like all the owners wanted it off their hands for some reason.
I’ve asked them if they will do it.As you say if they want the business they have to make it worth my while.

#9 ·
I use a site called "Car Vertical" for any purchases. It gives you a detailed report ranging from first registration date, MOT history, including advisories. Also includes mileage checks, any accident damage, outstanding finance, etc.

Car Vertical

There are numerous options for purchasing reports, and any number of discount codes that can be applied, the one I use is "MAT" for those in the know, that's Matt Armstrong

Best of luck with your purchase

#11 ·
Not a bad price- but not a great MOT history. Looks like it’s been imported from Northern Ireland at about 6 years old , which isn’t a bad thing but just means you can’t check the previous MOT history. Although MOTs are a lot stricter in Ni. As said, if it hasn’t had the cam belt done at the 10 year point it hasn’t got a full service history, it’s just got a service history, even if they did it now- any future buyer will probably be put off by it happening 2 years late.

#12 ·
Just to add, it is a base spec car, which is fine if your not into all the tech extras, it does make a difference to the value /desirability.
Agreed as said previously about service history, also stamps in the book are worthless unless backed up by invoices.
The white spoiler & previous owners would set off alarm bells for me, what else has /had been modified before, taken off etc. Personally, i think there are better cars out there /will come up if your patient.

#14 ·
They have just got back to now telling me cambelt was done back in 2021.

But as you guys have pointed out not great mot history and imported etc I don’t like the sound of that. Would you guys agree I should take my blinders off for this one and walk away?

#18 ·
They have just got back to now telling me cambelt was done back in 2021.

But as you guys have pointed out not great mot history and imported etc I don’t like the sound of that. Would you guys agree I should take my blinders off for this one and walk away?
Sounds a bit dubious that they have suddenly discovered that the cam belt has indeed been done, but that might just be me being a bit harsh on them...

If it were me, I would keep looking - you might find other examples out there that at the very least will allow you to compare against this 2011 example - it might turn out to be a good example, but it could also turn out to be one that you're glad you walked away from! 👌😄

#17 ·
The RS can be a ‘scratch the itch’ car to some, so the ownership wouldn’t put me off. As I said though, the MOT history doesn’t suggest it’s been cherished. There were very few, if any, mk2 lemons- problems normally come from dodgy mods and then being put back to standard. As Gareth says, base spec May put people off when you come to sell it on,
All that said though- no harm in having a look.
Ive no evidence to back it up- but I just get a feeling of potential clocking with this one.

#19 ·
yeah I think I’m going to walk, im not getting a good feeling. From the start I thought something was off but ignored it I mean what do I know? With everyones input I’ve been hot and cold. Having a closer look at the mot history it looks well sketch even to me. Thanks to Neil67 for the heads up about the import. Cheers to everyone for the help.
Ill keep looking

#22 ·
yeah I think I’m going to walk, im not getting a good feeling. From the start I thought something was off but ignored it I mean what do I know? With everyones input I’ve been hot and cold. Having a closer look at the mot history it looks well sketch even to me. Thanks to Neil67 for the heads up about the import. Cheers to everyone for the help.
Ill keep looking
Always trust your gut feelings.

#23 ·
Richie, are you dead set on milage? I've got a 2009 Mk 2 UG, lux 1 that I may look to sell. Only reason I'm considering selling is that I have an application in for moving to Australia next year for work.
My cars has 75k, Full history, cambelt, waterpump and aux belt change. Few upgrades including revo software, intercooler, anembo plenum, alloy crossover pipe, mountune air box, full Miltek from turbo back, genuine RS500 black wheels, green hoses, front spilter, mud guards etc.... a very genuine well looked after car.
Car comes with brand new set of sealed RS mats, Castrol oil and genuine filter for next oil change and new rear splash guards.
I will in the coming weeks be completing a DIY under car restoration, just to keep it in the condition it should be.

#24 ·
Richie, are you dead set on milage? I've got a 2009 Mk 2 UG, lux 1 that I may look to sell. Only reason I'm considering selling is that I have an application in for moving to Australia next year for work.
My cars has 75k, Full history, cambelt, waterpump and aux belt change. Few upgrades including revo software, intercooler, anembo plenum, alloy crossover pipe, mountune air box, full Miltek from turbo back, genuine RS500 black wheels, green hoses, front spilter, mud guards etc.... a very genuine well looked after car.
Car comes with brand new set of sealed RS mats, Castrol oil and genuine filter for next oil change and new rear splash guards.
I will in the coming weeks be completing a DIY under car restoration, just to keep it in the condition it should be.
Hi Baz&beanz
That sounds like a really nice car, my ideal car would be white with lower milage and a push alittle newer, i must admit the UG is growing on me. Keep me posted however :)
GL with your application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.